Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #10006
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Oldboy [first viewing]: my initial reaction is about a 7.5-8/10 but i'd like to watch it a second time before i really decide on it

the Innkeepers [first viewing]: 9/10

I had absolutely no expectations for this whatsoever. I randomly saw it on IPT for download, looked up the RT score and it was high. Didn't even bother to read a synopsis, I just knew it was a horror movie. Well, what a very pleasant surprise.

It has such a throwback, 80's, kind of goofy Ghostbusters feel to it during the first half and then it successfully transitions to legitimate horror in the second.

The lead, Sara Paxton is a dime and only the 2-3 blonde I've ever been attracted to

pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #10007
Fatal9
owwwww

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
Anyone seen African Queen? I'm thinking about picking it up. I was recommended this movies because I like Bogart so much in Casablanca.
That was one of the few Bogart movies I didn't really like that much. Considering the talent (Bogart, Hepburn) and the director (Huston), it's very disappointing imo. I saw it a really long time ago so don't remember what specific issues I had with it, but I think I found it too "campy", plot too be really weak, just remember a lot of moments where I was rolling my eyes. It was still entertaining (I checked and see I gave it a 6 on IMDB so not like it was bad), but I don't think it deserves to be listed as a classic. I love Casablanca too btw, 10/10. You should check out The Maltese Falcon. Or a better Huston-Bogart collaboration in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #10008
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Captain America: The First Avenger: 8/10- First of lemme say this: Tommy Lee Jones completely steals the show in every scene he's in.

Okay that out of the way I was pleasantly surprised. Chris Evans turned out to be pretty good in this role. It played more like a period piece than anything.

Some of the effects left a bit to be desired, which was weird, but all in all it was a visual impressive movie. Cap is an interesting character because he's really always fighting above his head, and that is the whole point of his personality. He never gives in, and always does what he feels is right.

I'm curious about a few things, maybe to be answered in a second movie. Like why they did Bucky that way, are they setting up a Winter Soldier saga?

Anyway I think the best movie of the titles they released to tie into the Avengers (not counting Iron Man, but Iron Man II, Thor, both Hulks...) And that very much surprises me. Maybe that's why I liked it so muuch, I wasn't expecting it.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #10009
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

WTF, they remade The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? The movie is only about a year or two old. I was wondering why i suddenly saw all these people saying they just watched it (as if it were new).
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #10010
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
WTF, they remade The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? The movie is only about a year or two old. I was wondering why i suddenly saw all these people saying they just watched it (as if it were new).

English version this time around.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #10011
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

"Tightrope." Clint's a perverted detective on the trail of a serial killer who kills his whores. Even Clint-as-cop doesn't save this one. Might work with a fresh workover, but nothing to write home about. 65%.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #10012
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
"Tightrope." Clint's a perverted detective on the trail of a serial killer who kills his whores. Even Clint-as-cop doesn't save this one. Might work with a fresh workover, but nothing to write home about. 65%.

You working on that DVD set already? I've always had the Eiger Sanction in my back of my mind but never get around to it.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #10013
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Tinker Tailor tomorrow night! Can't f*cking wait.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #10014
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Tinker Tailor tomorrow night! Can't f*cking wait.

Oh shit man! Can't wait to hear what you say about that one. I will likely see another movie by the end of the month and it will likely be Red Tails but I lean towards this one a lot right now.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #10015
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Just watched Pan's Labyrinth again, no need to review it, an easy 9-10/10

but I realized that it was made in 2006 and the girl is older now so I Googled her and she's not bad

Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #10016
skan72
Deep dick pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP

One Day: 2/10- Dreadfully boring. The dude is a mega douche and yet she still falls for him.

Awful pacing, awful ending. One of the longest 1 hr 40 min movies I've ever seen. Avoid.

I just watched this too. Just turrible. Not to mention Hathaway's accent switches constantly all movie. Brutal job overall. Turrible movie.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #10017
skan72
Deep dick pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot

I loved the Swedish movie, but the English movie might be just as good. Mara, who plays Lisbeth, does an amazing job. You should do yourself a favour and go see it.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #10018
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan72
I just watched this too. Just turrible. Not to mention Hathaway's accent switches constantly all movie. Brutal job overall. Turrible movie.

Yeah I couldn't tell if they were supposed to be Irish or English or both with some Scottish thrown in.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #10019
skan72
Deep dick pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Yeah I couldn't tell if they were supposed to be Irish or English or both with some Scottish thrown in.

Watched it for family time over the holidays; my father, who is British, was saying her accent was switching between Northern English (which sounds Scottish to me?), London, Irish, etc. I may not have been able to place where the accents were coming from in the UK, but I knew it was wrong. My sister and I were laughing the entire time about it, but once I start a movie I like to finish it no matter how bad (exceptions: Idiocracy and In the Name of the King).

The last one Hathaway was in, or the last one I saw that she was in before this one, was a horrible movie to me, too - Love and Other Drugs. Some people loved it, but it was, to me, the same as this one. Extremely boring. Good thing they didn't have to fake accents again.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #10020
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan72
I loved the Swedish movie, but the English movie might be just as good. Mara, who plays Lisbeth, does an amazing job. You should do yourself a favour and go see it.

I'm a Craig mark so i will.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: