Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-12-2012, 03:55 AM   #10081
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Watched it for the second time last night. Just as good as I remembered it. I wish Sam Rockwell would take more leading roles.

Agreed. I think with the right roles, he could catch on like Robert Downey Jr has.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #10082
skan72
Deep dick pizza

skan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Law Abiding Citizen. 65/100. It is pretty harass what Jamie Foxx does to Clove Owen at the end.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #10083
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I had read that Jesse's somewhat flat aphex during the movie is in part because he's being presented almost entirely from Ford's perspective. We're sort of seeing him through Ford's eyes as the audience, and since Ford doesn't quite know how to interpret him, neither to we. That's a big part of why it was edited the way it was as well.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #10084
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Horrible bosses 6.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by skan72
Really? Maybe it wasn't a great movie for plot and such, but I thought it was hilarious. And Aniston in lingerie... she still got it.

Hot Shots 2 and 1, All naked guns, some Scary Movies are hilarious. This one is not. Some nice plot twists, some funny parts.

PS. I didnt liked that dude who worked in some big cooperation. I fukin hate this guy.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #10085
TheSilentKiller
NBA All-star

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan72
Law Abiding Citizen. 65/100. It is pretty harass what Jamie Foxx does to Clove Owen at the end.

Saw that movie last year and I felt the same way. It was a well done movie. I would probably give it closer to 7.5-8 though.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #10086
Rnbizzle
Banned

Rnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I just watched Fight Club for the first time in my life - I didn't really like this all that much, it scores like a 9 or something on IMDB? I don't see why. The acting is solid but the storyline is a bit too weird for me. I found the idea that todays men are all locked in a society where they can't really be men interesting but in the end as I said.. it just got a bit too crazy for me.

7/10.
Rnbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #10087
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbizzle
I just watched Fight Club for the first time in my life - I didn't really like this all that much, it scores like a 9 or something on IMDB? I don't see why. The acting is solid but the storyline is a bit too weird for me. I found the idea that todays men are all locked in a society where they can't really be men interesting but in the end as I said.. it just got a bit too crazy for me.

7/10.

I feel exactly the same way. Of course it's ISH blasphemy.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #10088
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Thomas Jane was great in this. I had a little problem with the ending, but that is only because I knew too much about Andre Stander. I'll give the film a 71%. Though that may be a little generous.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #10089
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I probably would have enjoyed the new one had I not seen the original. But the original girl was a better actress (She was just more intense during the revenge scene and other scenes), the chemistry between the girl and the guy was better (his reaction was more awkward acceptance of her which made more sense than full acceptance; the dialog just gave more meaning to their relationship such as "You know everything about me, and I know nothing about you"). The reveal of clues seemed more tactful in the original. The ending of the original didn't go on forever (really? Did we really need all the follow up details that [spoiler]the bad guy businessman who we saw all of 30 seconds had to be murdered for American audiences to be satisfied?[/spoiler] The original was better in that it didn't take forever to wrap up after the climax). I really wished the remake didn't take place in Sweden and still have everybody speak English. If they wanted people to speak English, at least make the movie take place in a primarily English speaking country. Another irritation was that this movie had no new spin on the movie. Instead, the biggest changes were that they removed any subtlety, which just feels like they are speaking down to the American audiences: [spoiler]"Oh, I hope you like **** sex."[/spoiler] Did they think American's wouldn't understand what was happening without that line? There were several other lines too where the American version spelled out things for the audience when it was completely unnecessary. Also, they ruined the telling of the background of the girl with the tattoo. The new one made her seem sad and crazy, but didn't do a good job linking the too. The original was better making you empathize for the trauma she went through.

Overall, this was a completely unnecessary remake that offered nothing new. The only thing it was good for was to dumb down the original and make it in English so they could make money off of the ignorant American audiences. I miss the good ole days of Fincher with Fight Club, Se7en, and The Game. His last few movies have been drab to me.
this was a really cool post to read because i get a strong sense i'd have felt the exact same way... your specific examples ring very true even without having seen the original. i saw fincher's version last night and loved it, the suspense was great, neat visuals, and totally plot-driven which always makes for excitement. but 'obvious' would seem to be an appropriate word for comparison, and thinking back, i can't help but agree.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #10090
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
this was a really cool post to read because i get a strong sense i'd have felt the exact same way... your specific examples ring very true even without having seen the original. i saw fincher's version last night and loved it, the suspense was great, neat visuals, and totally plot-driven which always makes for excitement. but 'obvious' would seem to be an appropriate word for comparison, and thinking back, i can't help but agree.

For what it's worth, the examples of pandering to a North American audience (the extended ending, the **** sex line) are actually taken pretty much verbatim from the novel itself so I can't see that as "dumbing" the plot down.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #10091
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
For what it's worth, the examples of pandering to a North American audience (the extended ending, the **** sex line) are actually taken pretty much verbatim from the novel itself so I can't see that as "dumbing" the plot down.

Interesting. Too me, I it has never been real important for things to be taken verbatim, in fact, I wish more liberties are taken because I want a different experience each time rather than know exactly what happens before it does. Coincidentally, one of the movies I wish took more liberties from the original source is another Fincher film: Zodiac. Fincher wanted to remain true to the real life evidence, but in real life, the evidence became scattered (i.e., new clue 1 year, another clue several more years later) and thus the ending of Zodiac became choppy rather than tightly wound together for a better climax.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #10092
FatComputerNerd
National High School Star

FatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

War Horse

4.5/10

I've seen worse but this simply did not live up to the hype, and it was a struggle to get through it. There were a few touching scenes, but overall it was mostly boring.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #10093
vinsane01
National High School Star

vinsane01 is popular on this boardvinsane01 is popular on this boardvinsane01 is popular on this boardvinsane01 is popular on this board

50/50 - 8/10

Good movie. The blending of drama and comedy was just fine, albeit the comedy werent spectacular, it was just right for a film like this. This was really more of a drama film mixed with a little bit of comedy. My interest in the progression of the movie has more to do with curiosity on how a family/relationships, such as portrayed in the movie, handles a potentially terminal illness amongst one of it's members together. I think the movie as a whole wouldve garnered much attention and critical praise if the ending was a downer. But all in all it was okay for me. I like happy endings.
vinsane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #10094
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Interesting. Too me, I it has never been real important for things to be taken verbatim, in fact, I wish more liberties are taken because I want a different experience each time rather than know exactly what happens before it does. Coincidentally, one of the movies I wish took more liberties from the original source is another Fincher film: Zodiac. Fincher wanted to remain true to the real life evidence, but in real life, the evidence became scattered (i.e., new clue 1 year, another clue several more years later) and thus the ending of Zodiac became choppy rather than tightly wound together for a better climax.

I really loved Zodiac. And I've also been somewhat obsessed with the case as well, starting with the original Graysmith book, and I've read tons of other books about it. I just recently read Steve Hodel's Most Evil where he claims his father was the Zodiac.

Anyway, the thing I liked about Zodiac the movie, and what surprised me because Graysmith signed off on it, and he's something of an egomaniac, is that the subject to me isn't the Zodiac, but Graysmith's own decent into obsession over the case. It's more about his grasping at straws than it is about the case itself. As you say, there's not a lot to be done about the case.
Tattoo reminded me a lot of Zodiac, both in it's look and it's subject. It's just that it's fictional and it was able to wrap up this obsessive behavior, unlike Zodiac which was dealing with a real life frantic obsessive, which isn't so clean to narrate.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #10095
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
huh, even more interesting. i'm officially clueless to my thoughts and will proceed to never speak of this novel/movie ever again.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: