Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #10096
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

You don't have to be a fan of Spaghetti Westerns to be a fan of this movie, though it would help. Support Your Local Gunfighter is consistently funny, well-paced, and at only 91 minutes long, brief. James Garner stars in this film and does a great job as the charismatic lead.

81%
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #10097
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Bucky Larson Born to be a Star

One of the greatest movies ever created!
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #10098
ROCSteady
WALL*BEAL*NASH*KOBE

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

WARRIOR- 7.7/10

I wanted to watch Drive but it's not available on my PPV On Demand yet so I also had been wanting to see this.

It was a very solid flick. Tom Hardy is going to cement himself as a top star when the next Batman movie comes out but he really shines in these more intimate and personal roles. I guess having a checkered past with a lot of past issues really helps to channel raw emotion and angst because Hardy brings that in spades. Sometimes in the cage, he lumbers around like a bear but his cold face and eyes literally reminded me of a great white shark .

Nick Nolte was equally, if not more convincing as the reformed drunk dad who lost all connection with his sons. I knew it was him but he really sunk into this role and was terribly convincing. No 'Hollywood' ex-drunk character here. You really feel for this guy despite his weaknesses and what was alluded to his past transgressions. Very accurate

The writing was pretty good, although there were FAR too many plot conveniences for me to really look past other than saying, "Well it is a fictitious MOVIE."

I'm not really a huge MMA fan but the fight scenes were very intense at times. It did strike me a little odd that the fight tournament took literally HALF the movie but they did a good job with fleshing out all the characters so it was no big deal. Jus sayin, usually the 'end-all tournament' device is reserved for the final act.

All in all, everyone was VERY convincing in their role. I really liked how much of a lone wolf they made Tommy (Hardy) to be, even as far as being by himself in the cage with no trainer or team for the finale (s).

Some recycled elements too but I'm not gunna be a snob and expect a sports/family drama to reinvent the wheel in this instance. This movie is VERY emotional and really hit you in the gut in a few scenes with the father and his yearning for his sons' forgiveness. The ending was also pretty emotional although I wish a couple small things would have been answered.

All in all, see this movie if you enjoy very convincing acting/ characters and a story set in the sporting world. The ROC approves

Last edited by ROCSteady : 01-13-2012 at 01:24 PM.
ROCSteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #10099
Jasi
Quality?

Jasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ok so I just watched, for the first time after so many people adviced me, Donnie Darko.

I guess it's been discussed already... Here's my interpretation, I'd just like to see if it's correct to you guys or other explanations are nicer.

By the way, good movie, 8 is my rating.

SPOILERS

Everything revolves around the jet engine traveling in time through the wormhole, from October 30th to October 2nd.
So, October 30th the plane is flying, October 2nd its engine crashes down onto his house.
Donnie doesn't die because he had gone away from his house following the voice in his head.
As a consequence of this, (to make it short) his girlfriend Gretchen dies, and his sister's boyfriend Frank gets shot dead by Donnie himself.
So, the morning after (October 30th), having understood this, Donnie uses the wormhole to get back in time, and to create an alternative timeline where he gets killed in the jet engine crash, and as a consequence Gretchen lives (and Frank too).

This is quite convincing to me, except I can't remember if the "wormhole" scene justifies the deduction that Donnie travels back in time (it seems as if only the jet engine is actually traveling in time).

Last edited by Jasi : 01-13-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #10100
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Oh lord, I'm lost. I need to watch it again.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #10101
Jasi
Quality?

Jasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Oh lord, I'm lost. I need to watch it again.

Eheheh
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #10102
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth

So I finally caught the original on Netflix and I would rate it a 7/10 compared to Fincher's version that I gave a 9/10 rating. I know some might chalk it up to American xenophobia, but I just thought the remake had better direction and execution. The original had the feel of a made-for-tv movie. The one advantage it had was Noomi Rapace, whose Lisabeth was more fleshed out and 'real' than Rooney Mara's mute, scowling portrayal (which still worked IMO). Other than that, Fincher's version is superior in every technical and artistic way.

Quote:
Nick Nolte was equally, if not more convincing as the reformed drunk dad who lost all connection with his sons. I knew it was him but he really sunk into this role and was terribly convincing. No 'Hollywood' ex-drunk character here. You really feel for this guy despite his weaknesses and what was alluded to his past transgressions. Very accurate

Nolte's work in that movie was award worthy IMO.

Last edited by DonDadda59 : 01-13-2012 at 02:09 PM.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #10103
Dbrog
National High School Star

Dbrog has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
So I finally caught the original on Netflix and I would rate it a 7/10 compared to Fincher's version that I gave a 9/10 rating. I know some might chalk it up to American xenophobia, but I just thought the remake had better direction and execution. The original had the feel of a made-for-tv movie. The one advantage it had was Noomi Rapace, whose Lisabeth was more fleshed out and 'real' than Rooney Mara's mute, scowling portrayal (which still worked IMO). Other than that, Fincher's version is superior in every technical and artistic way.

This is 100% how I felt + Finchers was more true to the book (although I understand why some people don't like that).
Dbrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #10104
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasi
Ok so I just watched, for the first time after so many people adviced me, Donnie Darko.

I guess it's been discussed already... Here's my interpretation, I'd just like to see if it's correct to you guys or other explanations are nicer.

By the way, good movie, 8 is my rating.

SPOILERS

Everything revolves around the jet engine traveling in time through the wormhole, from October 30th to October 2nd.
So, October 30th the plane is flying, October 2nd its engine crashes down onto his house.
Donnie doesn't die because he had gone away from his house following the voice in his head.
As a consequence of this, (to make it short) his girlfriend Gretchen dies, and his sister's boyfriend Frank gets shot dead by Donnie himself.
So, the morning after (October 30th), having understood this, Donnie uses the wormhole to get back in time, and to create an alternative timeline where he gets killed in the jet engine crash, and as a consequence Gretchen lives (and Frank too).

This is quite convincing to me, except I can't remember if the "wormhole" scene justifies the deduction that Donnie travels back in time (it seems as if only the jet engine is actually traveling in time).

I'll save you a lot of headaches trying to figure out how the 'wormholes' and 'time warps' fit into the time travel nonsense in that movie. If you've seen the Last Temptation of Christ, then you'd know that Donnie Darko was a shameless ripoff of that film. Whereas the time travel/continuity in Temptation could be explained away with 'god's will', Richard Kelly got in way over his head trying to come up with scientific explanations that frankly, don't make any goddamn sense (pun intended). But at least he cited his borrowed sources.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #10105
ROCSteady
WALL*BEAL*NASH*KOBE

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Director's Cut of Donnie Darko enlightens the theoretical time travel process a lot more fully which I enjoyed more because I wasn't as in the dark.

The thing I love about Donnie Darko is that it is a film that's awfully hard to categorize. What would you file it under if you worked at your own media store? Sci Fi? Drama? Suspense?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #10106
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
The Director's Cut of Donnie Darko enlightens the theoretical time travel process a lot more fully which I enjoyed more because I wasn't as in the dark.

Guy's a hack. I'd love to hear him bullshit his way through this scene that he swagger jacked. Telling us about how Judas meeting Jesus created a wormhole or time warp that sent Jesus back in time, yadda yadda yadda.

SPOILER: Final scene of the Last Temptation of Christ

Would've been better if they just left it at supernatural causes, it's like 'basketball reasons', works for everything
Old 01-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #10107
ROCSteady
WALL*BEAL*NASH*KOBE

I just saw it as yet another way someone made use of the time travel paradox but this time, with a 'published' account. I didn't have an issue with it. just a sci-fi element that's been used a lot but this time in a contemporary world that gives public theory to the act

Yea I always figured Darko to be a sacrificial figure like a Jesus, for the betterment of his community, instead of the human race though

Never really connected it with Scorsese's joint. His movie is a sensationalist piece anyway adapted from a fictional novel (not referring to the Bible ) so Donnie Darko works better in that regard anyway IMO.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #10108
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59

Fair enough. The camera quality was the only thing I liked more in Fincher's. Well, that and (white text)the murdered cat.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #10109
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Jesus' Son

Very amusing and strangely introspective film about the life and recovery of an addict. Crudup was funny and also a sympathetic figure, I'm a big fan of his work. The ending of his recovery where he is able time finally reach out and connect is symbolized with his scene with the menaknight (sp?) woman and demonstrated by his affair/relationship with the woman he meets at AA. Jack Black and Dennis Hopper also make appearances. One of the more interesting drug-related films I've seen.

8/10
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #10110
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Thing (2011) - 4/10
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: