Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #10126
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
Closer. 7.5\10 for me. Ending was really awesome. Natalie Portman was bomb as usual and Clive Owen was pretty funny. Generally would rate it higher but it's one of those movies that because of the ending I walked away from it liking it more so than I did while sitting through it.
One of my all-time favourites.

I honestly can't think of better movie just based on acting alone. It's a movie that really needed it too being based on a play and completely dialogue driven. The four lead performances were all excellent and Clive Owen in this might be my favourite performance of all-time.

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 01-17-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #10127
RidonKs
NBA Legend

i feel like i know that movie backwards and forwards but i've actually never seen anything more than the private stripping room scene... which i've watched at least 100 times lol

definitely a personal favourite
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #10128
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

The ending was just perfect. Last 15 minutes actually was perfection too me. Just one of those movies where how it finished up wouldn't have changed a thing.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #10129
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

watched a version with hard coded french subs. wasn't much of a problem - i don't really mind watching subtitled films. i actually find a lot of good horror films are foreign these days. one of the biggest gripes i had with inglorious bastards....there was so much damn dialogue in that movie that it was hard to look at what was going on while you read. i swear tarantino used that movie as a way too much to show that he was a good screenwriter. that we sort of knew, but he still wanted to force the issue and make long-winded exchanges. but i digress

back to this movie. it was mysteriously captivating from the beginning. it wasn't some shoot up scene and disappearance right away. it's one of those movies you had to pay attention to. at the end of the day, i think it showcased survival, betrayal and corruption the most. that sounds morbid and depressing on the surface but it does have a 'nice' ending that isn't overly sappy. there were plot holes for sure but i'm willing to ignore some of those since it was such an ambitious film. is it all that realistic? maybe not but its ideas were grand. the lead acting was great btw. plenty of subtleties and cold, tension built moments. it tied up some of the minor nuances in a sensible way in the end. it probably deserves a couple showings.

if you're a fan of mystery/thriller, i'd recommend it. verdict: 8/10 (if you're a stickler for realistic detail though, you'd probably rank it lower). i definitely wasn't into the whole the grand conspiracy/multiple motives angle but i don't want to spoil too much

Last edited by blacknapalm : 01-17-2012 at 08:01 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #10130
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

^ Had to press quote to figure out you were talking about Tell No One. I really loved that movie.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #10131
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
^ Had to press quote to figure out you were talking about Tell No One. I really loved that movie.

ya, it's definitely a winner in the originality/creativity department

EDIT: oops, i guess the original image was too big. smaller now....

Last edited by blacknapalm : 01-17-2012 at 07:59 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #10132
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Crank High Voltage.... 7/10

Its pretty out there and crazy. But its not as good as the original because we seen it before. Its still an awesome movie none the less.

Full Body Tourettes!
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #10133
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP

Unguarded: 8/10- Powerful. Might not be one of the best documentaries in the 30 for 30 series, but it's easily a top-5 STORY in the set.

I can sum it up in one scene I think: He's talking about when he was in California. His buddy and him are out making runs, gettin high off everything. It's been like 5 days of this, and he decides to try meth. In my head I'm just kinda jokin: "just don't go to Modesto."

Then he talks about the Modesto indecent. See his wife calls and says she and the kids are gonna fly out and they'll meet him at the Oakland airport. He's still paranoid and tripping off the previous days, and is freakin out. He thinks someone is followin him so he's takin exits and entrances just at random. He ends up in Modesto. He's arrested, and taken to the hospital and jail.

Now the group he's telling this to are other users, and convicts. And everyone's laughin, and it was kind of a funny story. But then he says that bad part was that his wife and kids were standing on the sidewalk at the Oakland airport because he didn't make it to them. The room goes silent.

And for me it was all the more powerful because after he gets out he goes to a 7-11 and starts drinkin. Then he goes round back and falls asleep in the streets. Then he goes back to the place in person, and I recognized it. It was not 15 minutes away from where I sat watching this movie. And it just hit me how this guy who had it all, ended up in a rundown place in a rundown city contemplating never calling his wife or kids again and just living in Modesto homeless.

Amazing story to tell, well put together story telling, just an all around good documentary.

Yeah, that was a really good one. I played against Herron at a few camps and invitational type stuff when I was young, both being New England guys. We actually had somewhat similar games, although he was just much much better than me, so I always liked him because he reminded me of myself a bit.

The part where he goes to the rehab, spends 7 months there, and they let him out to see his kid being born, the way he tells it is devastating. Because he's talking about all the time he'd been sober at that point. And how much it meant to him to be let out to see his kid's birth, and right after it was over, he walked out front to smoke a cigarrette, lit it up, and just kept walking to a local parking lot where he copped some heroine and got high. Because of how he tells it, it really felt like that was the spot in the story where he was gonna turn it around, but once again the drive was just too strong. It was crushing.
Being of that age, and a basketball guy, and having a younger brother who's fighting the same fight, that one really got me. It was really well done too. The way they cut together segments of him telling the story to different groups of people, so there were minor changes in the way it was told, but the heart of it was always the same. Just really well put together. I may check out that book that the guy wrote who's in it in bits.

His brother seems like a total douchebag and seems like he was a lousey hanger on and probably still has a sizeable coke problem right now. His sweaty twitchiness didn't sit well.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #10134
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I've met Herren and his brother [shook hands once i mean]. They make an appearance every year at Dave Cowen' basketball camp, or at least they did when my brother went. His brother is just as neurotic and sweaty as he seemed in the documentary.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #10135
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

I've watched Unknown. It's a good movie, I'd give 8.4. I liked that the plot was very strategic-thought provoking, ha ha. Basically you have to think what others know, and what you don't know, and what others don't; then you go second round and think of what others don't know you know, and versa. Plus, it wasn't that predictable in a characters department, and I liked how it left unanswered questions at the end. It may not have been as intense as supposed to, but a very joyful watch, because I felt it avoided common traits of movies that kind.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #10136
Kensta
National High School Star

The Help - 7.0. Good story. Kinda slow for me.
Real Steel - 6.5. Good pop corn movie. Nothing amazing though.
Kensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #10137
Rnbizzle
Banned

Pan's Labyrinth: 7.5/10

Surely this film is original, I don't anything can be compared to it really.. Enjoyed it, what kept it from getting a really high score, for me personally, was the weirdness, at some points the 'wtf-factor' was just a bit too high for me.
Rnbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #10138
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

Watched The Girl with Dragon Tattoo 2009.
I liked it, could give 8.5/10.

It was ok thriller, not as suspense to me though (as it was about the past), a little too psychopathic and messed for me. Those Swedishes love to go through old files I tell you... I've once read some book (swedish author), the case about murderer/rapist, and how the detective had to go through tourists tapes that were recorded on a cruise to catch him. This is similar... Again, too dark and filled with worthless evil, but a nice thriller. Characters were interesting, although not covered very deeply. That leaves room, I'm fine with that...

Will watch american version soon.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #10139
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
Watched The Girl with Dragon Tattoo 2009.
I liked it, could give 8.5/10.

It was ok thriller, not as suspense to me though (as it was about the past), a little too psychopathic and messed for me. Those Swedishes love to go through old files I tell you... I've once read some book (swedish author), the case about murderer/rapist, and how the detective had to go through tourists tapes that were recorded on a cruise to catch him. This is similar... Again, too dark and filled with worthless evil, but a nice thriller. Characters were interesting, although not covered very deeply. That leaves room, I'm fine with that...

Will watch american version soon.

Come back and let us know which version you like better. I've seen both and thought Fincher's version was superior in every artistic and technical way, with the exception of the actual girl with the dragon tattoo. Thought Noomi Rapace (Original Swedish version) was a better Lisabeth than Rooney Mara, although I never read the book, so just going purely off the films.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #10140
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

AMERICAN GANGSTER- 7.9/ 10

This is like the 4th or 5th time I've watched American Gangster in full since it's release in 2008 and I have to say, it didn't resonate with me the way it did previously. I don't know whether to chalk that up to the actual film itself or because it was late and I was baked as a clam.

I'm a big fan of this movie, Ridley Scott, and the acting of Russell Crowe, Josh Brolin and Denzel. When I first saw it in theaters, I remember being mind-blown at some of the themes and uncomfortable truths that were on display regarding the good ol U S of A. Just craziness.

Haven't seen it in a while so while it's still very good and a nice piece on underworld shit during the '60s/'70s, I had to kinda move it down a level of how I previously viewed it. Still highly highly recommended though if you haven't seen it. I guess the staying power wasn't as strong as other movies I consider great

Oh, I watched the Extended Edition and the ending scene is a pile of shit compared to the theatrical version

Last edited by ROCSteady : 01-17-2012 at 10:52 PM.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: