Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #10156
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

The Girl Who Played with Fire (8.5/10) - Didn't expect it to be a direct sequel. I figured same characters, different story. I actually preferred the story of this one over The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Only thing it lacked was shocking scenes as the first had and an ending that wraps everything up (obviously things were left unfinished for the 3rd). As I said though, I thought the story was overall more intriguing.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #10157
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

B-Easy8 is considered somewhat coolB-Easy8 is considered somewhat cool

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (US version): Great movie. Daniel Craig is one of my favourite actors and Rooney Mara was great also. I went from thinking that Lisbeth was an ugly freak to wanting to sex her by the end of the movie.

9.5/10
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #10158
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

watched Clooney's 'The Ides of March' last night. i wasn't particularly impressed, maybe a result of high expectations going in, having seen clooney discuss politics with a solid level of competence. apparently the plot was based on a play but i didn't think they really executed the highly dramatic/climactic scenes particularly well in terms of drawing in the viewer. clooney's politician character was hardly fleshed out at all, we got to see everybody and their dog drooling over his integrity and morality, and then all of a sudden he's just another piece of shit adulterer.

the dialogue was lackluster too. again considering it was based on a play they felt worthy of adapting into film, i'm surprised the lines didn't have more umph or creativity if they could have been drawn straight from the original play script.

obviously it was star-studded so that was good fun, and it definitely wasn't bad in any way. just disappointing. ryan gosling and the chick made for an absurdly attractive couple, i couldn't figure out which body i wanted to check out more during the sex scenes. i enjoyed the moral decline into corruption that gosling took. the whole "all politicians let you down at one point or another" theme is completely overdone and they didn't take it in any new directions here, but again... it wasn't terrible.

6-7 depending on how generous i'm feeling, plus i think my background in politics sorta ruined parts of it for me in terms of looking for more depth than was intended

Last edited by RidonKs : 01-18-2012 at 12:18 PM.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #10159
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ides of March is disappointing all around. I'm sick of George Clooney. Enough of him.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #10160
Jasi
Quality?

Jasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I watched Wim Wender's Wings of Desire the other day.
It would be a great movie if it wasn't so damn slow until the last part. It's full of poetry and it's a nice idea but, the way it kept dragging along... reminded me too much of Jarmusch's Permanent Vacation (the most boring thing I ever saw, and I don't care about it being artsy/avantgarde).
7/10

Coen bros' True Grit, soooo nicely done. Maybe it's too "Coen-ish" but that's nothing. 8.5/10
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #10161
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Jesus' Son

Very amusing and strangely introspective film about the life and recovery of an addict. Crudup was funny and also a sympathetic figure, I'm a big fan of his work. The ending of his recovery where he is able time finally reach out and connect is symbolized with his scene with the menaknight (sp?) woman and demonstrated by his affair/relationship with the woman he meets at AA. Jack Black and Dennis Hopper also make appearances. One of the more interesting drug-related films I've seen.

8/10

I really liked that movie, but will never re-watch it. Agreed on your rating.
ProfessorMurder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #10162
Gundress
Banned

Gundress has a terrific reputationGundress has a terrific reputationGundress has a terrific reputationGundress has a terrific reputationGundress has a terrific reputationGundress has a terrific reputation

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

10/10 that movie had me

Gundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #10163
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

mf'ing pussified mf'er ^^
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #10164
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

The Descendants: 7/10

For a movie of this subject matter, the emotional climax wasn't fulfilling enough at least for myself. With that absent, nothing really put this movie over the top for me to agree with the acolades it's gotten.

Clooney was solid but just like Pitt in Moneyball, I'd be kind of disappointed if this is the role that gets him an Oscar.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #10165
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasi
I watched Wim Wender's Wings of Desire the other day.
It would be a great movie if it wasn't so damn slow until the last part. It's full of poetry and it's a nice idea but, the way it kept dragging along... reminded me too much of Jarmusch's Permanent Vacation (the most boring thing I ever saw, and I don't care about it being artsy/avantgarde).
7/10

Coen bros' True Grit, soooo nicely done. Maybe it's too "Coen-ish" but that's nothing. 8.5/10

I actually felt it was pretty straightforward. Only part that was very Coen-ish is when they encouter the person hanging and that focus on the big brute with the big animal head hat
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #10166
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

B-Easy8 is considered somewhat coolB-Easy8 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
The Descendants: 7/10

For a movie of this subject matter, the emotional climax wasn't fulfilling enough at least for myself. With that absent, nothing really put this movie over the top for me to agree with the acolades it's gotten.

Clooney was solid but just like Pitt in Moneyball, I'd be kind of disappointed if this is the role that gets him an Oscar.

Exactly how I felt. I thought Clooney was good but not as good as advertised, the same as Pitt in Moneyball.

I still enjoyed it though, I liked the older daughter as well I though she played her role well. I would have given it 7.5/10.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #10167
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Die Hard 2: Die Harder 8.5/10
Old 01-21-2012, 03:36 AM   #10168
Myth

The Hunt for the Red October 7/10
Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 AM   #10169
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Ides of March: 7.5/10- Honestly at first I was gonna give this a much lower score, but I think that was based on my personal circumstance. See I had soooo much hope going in that this would be one of the best movies I's seen in a while. I saw the cast list, the jist of the movie, and just thought this couldn't be anything but great.

Then it was disappointing. It seemed fairly shallow, jumping all over the place and I couldn't figure it out, what was the direction, where's the narrative. Is the conflice the Morris camp vs the Pullman camp? Is the conflict getting the dude elected? I couldn't figure.

Then about 50 minutes in SHIT GETS REAL! And I understand the conflict.

And it was kinda disappointing. I was hoping it'd be a little more political intrigue than what actually got into the film. I also didn't like the ending, I have a hard time comprehending the decision to end it in the manner they did.

Interesting, but ultimately falls short. Great acting, looked great as far as the locations, and the framing and such. Would recommend.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #10170
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Anyone seen Margain Call? Worth a rent?
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: