Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #10231
JustinJDW
....
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,521
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Sanctum - 6.5/10. It was cool. I realize most professional reviews are calling it shit because it had all this money and James Cameron's name was attached to it, but I didn't plan to watch this and it was sort of last second, so I really had no expectations. The plot itself was ok, but the characters could have been better.

Moneyball - 9.5/10. Absolutely terrific movie. It really hits you about two thirds of the way in just how great this movie. Acting was absolutely brilliant. Bravo to Pitt and Seymour-Hoffman. I'm a baseball fan, but you really don't even have to be one to enjoy this movie. Fantastic script, plot and execution. Cookies for everyone involved. The only thing I have to say, is that I'm surprised Jonah Hill got a Supporting Actor nomination. He did an ok job, but his character didn't demand nearly enough to warrant anything even close to a nomination in my opinion. I feel like he's getting praise and credit for the rest of the great acting involved. But still, fantastic film.

Red Tails - 7.2/10. As a crowd pleaser, this is real good. The crowd I was with was real energetic and really were emotionally involved in the characters, even though they were mostly cliche. "The bad boy who listens to no one, but is one of the best." Give me a break. I think if the crowd wasn't so energetic, I would rate it lower, because if you strip the film down to its bare core, its just a regular war film, that we have indeed seen before.

Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy - I really have to watch this movie again, before I can give a good opinion on it. It was a lot to digest, and its incredibly easy to get lost, even for the dedicated viewers. Probably wasn't a good idea for my brother and I to go see this 2-hour espionage flick that requires 130% of your attention at 11pm.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #10232
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan
 
Timmy D for MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 8,053
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.



Red Tails: 7/10- When I saw the very first trailer for this movie I thought "Oscar Bait." Lucasfilm, plus a heavy topic, some big names. But then I saw it's release date, and that confused me. Then I saw subsequent trailers that made the movie look not as good.

And it was not at all what I thought it was: some cheesy storylines, clunky dialogue, disjointed transitions, predictable and shallow character types, and a cliched main plot line. There was a fairly ghetto production value, and even times where it seemed like the audio didn't match up with the movement on the screen (though that could have just been our theater).

And it was fantastic.

See from the beginning my gf was pointing out the oddness of the production value and I was chuckling at some of the dialouge but about 30 minutes in it hit both of us.

Whether by design or by accident this movie is a direct send up to the patriotic wartime movies of the 50's and 60's. A movie which the Tuskegee Airmen never got for themselves. This is their cheesy patriotic war movie. And it was very entertaining as a film itself. It'll never be considered a great film, but it was a very very solid one. One reviewer put it very well when he said: "It never gets the slam dunk, but it makes more than enough layups to win the game."

Visually some of the best dog fight sequences, which of course I expected nothing less from a Lucasfilm movie. It was painfully realistic at times, in fact there are two sequences with guys shot in a plane where if you're claustrophobic you might freak out a bit. The film does also touch on the heavier subjects of war, and you'll feel so blind sided from jumping from all this cheesy grand story to suddenly being sucked back into the reality of the war and of the era.

There is also one subplot that was done in a more modern manner that was fantastic and created a real sense of connection to a particular character.

Overall this movie falls short of being something to get real excited about. But I liked it, and I certainly would say go see it so that Anthony Hemmingway gets to be the head honcho for more films because this guy has some skill imo.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #10233
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star
 
InspiredLebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Birthplace of basketball
Posts: 26,282
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Take Shelter

Shannon and Chastain are stellar. I'll try not to spoil anything, but 2/3s of the way through I thought it was a rather straight forward he's crazy or he's a prophet type deal. Then I finished, pondered on it a bit, and I think it's really the story of Shannon's struggles with accepting his fate. I don't want to give it some numerical rating because I need to watch it again all the way through with this interpretation in mind, but it is very good.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #10234
OmniStrife
College superstar
 
OmniStrife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Planet ORNG
Posts: 4,878
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

K-Pax - 9/10

Loved many things about that one.
Spacey's acting, The imagery of light in that entire movie, the soundtrack.
OmniStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #10235
Draz
Like a Baoss.
 
Draz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BTE boulevard
Posts: 13,346
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Drive - 8/10. After looking at some reviews, I thought this movie would be a perfect 10. Maybe it was a bit overrated. I thought the movie was a good watch, I thought there was going to be more action and heists, etc. There wasn't, disappointed at that. It was more of a man falling in love with another mans wife, she has a kid and she's obviously interested in him. He tries to clear her husbands name free in order to protect her and her child.

The movie was really slow, I personally thought it was going to be an action more tense movie rather then a love story. Although, the acting was what made the movie what it was, in my preference. I thought the main actor didn't do much talking, I guess it fit his character. But it had caught the attention of a women.

I can't seem to ENJOY the movie as much as everyone made it out to be, so I guess my expectations were HIGH while watching it. I'm not all that at disappoint, but in my belief as bad as 2011 was for movies, "Rise of the planet of the Apes" was the best movie. I don't know what can top it, thought "Drive" would.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #10236
ZeN
RichardRiderLives
 
ZeN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nova Corps.
Posts: 25,696
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Drive - 8/10. After looking at some reviews, I thought this movie would be a perfect 10. Maybe it was a bit overrated. I thought the movie was a good watch, I thought there was going to be more action and heists, etc. There wasn't, disappointed at that. It was more of a man falling in love with another mans wife, she has a kid and she's obviously interested in him. He tries to clear her husbands name free in order to protect her and her child.

The movie was really slow, I personally thought it was going to be an action more tense movie rather then a love story. Although, the acting was what made the movie what it was, in my preference. I thought the main actor didn't do much talking, I guess it fit his character. But it had caught the attention of a women.

I can't seem to ENJOY the movie as much as everyone made it out to be, so I guess my expectations were HIGH while watching it. I'm not all that at disappoint, but in my belief as bad as 2011 was for movies, "Rise of the planet of the Apes" was the best movie. I don't know what can top it, thought "Drive" would.
You have horrible taste in films.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #10237
Draz
Like a Baoss.
 
Draz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BTE boulevard
Posts: 13,346
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
You have horrible taste in films.

Because I gave a movie an 8/10? I'm sorry this movie didn't get a 10/10 from me.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #10238
ZeN
RichardRiderLives
 
ZeN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nova Corps.
Posts: 25,696
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Because I gave a movie an 8/10? I'm sorry this movie didn't get a 10/10 from me.
No. Im speaking in general. According to your movie review posting history, you have shown that you have horrible taste in films.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #10239
Draz
Like a Baoss.
 
Draz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BTE boulevard
Posts: 13,346
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
No. Im speaking in general. According to your movie review posting history, you have shown that you have horrible taste in films.

I don't expect everyone or anyone to like my reviews. In fact, I disagree or don't feel the same with many people's ratings here or reviews on movies. I don't say anything, rarely do. Maybe because it's their opinion and everyone has their own liking and sees different, while some may be identical. Everything in the movie was good besides the predictable story line. I hated the story line, and I've seen people point that out. The acting was marvelous. The movie was very slow, an 8/10 isn't bad stupid.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #10240
TheSilentKiller
NBA Superstar
 
TheSilentKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 14,572
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
No. Im speaking in general. According to your movie review posting history, you have shown that you have horrible taste in films.

No offense Draz, I kind of agree
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #10241
Draz
Like a Baoss.
 
Draz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BTE boulevard
Posts: 13,346
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
No offense Draz, I kind of agree

Definitely none taken bro. I don't expect people to directly go off of one persons judgement on a movie. If so, then that person is a moron, they need to gather information from multiple reviews before deciding whether or not they agree or to watch it, and even after that, it's up to them, what they think, how they feel about it.

If people strongly disagree, I agree with them because without that nothing makes debating better.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #10242
RidonKs
NBA Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Free Hat!
Posts: 17,910
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Drive was f*cking ridiculous. i'd have a hard time giving it anything more than an 8/10, just because of the unimpressive script, but the direction was unbelievable. the atmosphere with that pumping 80s music couldn't have been more artfully done, and the Gosling stare down conversation-stoppers were f*cking great. he'd just deadpan and then after 10 seconds break into a cute little smile/chuckle. great job on his part and his chemistry with the chick was well done. i dug it a lot overall.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #10243
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,642
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Definitely none taken bro. I don't expect people to directly go off of one persons judgement on a movie. If so, then that person is a moron, they need to gather information from multiple reviews before deciding whether or not they agree or to watch it, and even after that, it's up to them, what they think, how they feel about it.

If people strongly disagree, I agree with them because without that nothing makes debating better.
Seriously though, your reviews are abhorrent. Abhorrent in a way that doesn't even relate to personal taste. That's not to say that your personal taste isn't woefully bad either (because it is) but that's not really relevant; what is is that you are garbage at discussing films on a basis of merits that they may or may not encompass.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #10244
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.
 
NuggetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NuggetNation.
Posts: 10,188
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I'm kinda curious how people come up with there ratings. I generally try and use a 5 for completely average run of the mill. Don't dip under neath 5 unless it's awful. 6-7 could be used for like average flicks that I liked. 7.5-8.5 would be like really good films I liked alot. 9 and above would be personal favorites and or like outstanding films.

8\10 for Drive would probably what I would give it. Favorite movie of 2011 and thought it was awesome. Gosling completely killed it.

Seems like websities\bloggers\random people all have there own system lol
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #10245
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,642
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
I'm kinda curious how people come up with there ratings. I generally try and use a 5 for completely average run of the mill. Don't dip under neath 5 unless it's awful. 6-7 could be used for like average flicks that I liked. 7.5-8.5 would be like really good films I liked alot. 9 and above would be personal favorites and or like outstanding films.

8\10 for Drive would probably what I would give it. Favorite movie of 2011 and thought it was awesome. Gosling completely killed it.

Seems like websities\bloggers\random people all have there own system lol
I don't watch shitty films so just about everything earns a 70-80% for me.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy