Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #10246
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Downfall (Der Untertag): 8/10

Finally got around to seeing the original source material after seeing countless 'Hitler finds out...' videos on youtube. Solid all around film-making. Bruno Ganz was phenomenal as the fuhrer, which is why I wish there was more of a focus on him. That was my only complaint- the narrative kind of meandered and there were too many characters. It would've been better IMO if they had cut down on some of the characters' screen/story time and kept the spotlight on Hitler and the people immediately around him, his inner circle. It seemed like they would've been better served by developing a few main players instead of randomly following people we didn't really know or care about. The movie went on for another half an hour or so after the suicides of Hitler and Braun and I honestly didn't really care about the fate of the protagonists because I didn't really know anything about them. But I did like how they showed how the Red Army's advance affected the civilian population, there were some great battle sequences there.

The Grey- 7.5/10

I was actually pretty surprised by this one. From the previews I thought it would be solely a mindless action-adventure, man vs wild popcorn flick. But it was actually pretty well written and a great character driven piece. There was a nice balance of action, suspense, drama with some philosophical and existential gems thrown in the mix. Liam Neeson is a BOSS, but everyone already probably knew that. I loved the ending and how they tied it into the poem by Ottway's father, that was a nice touch.

Last edited by DonDadda59 : 02-02-2012 at 10:48 PM.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #10247
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

man, good reminder on Downfall, that's been on my list since it came out
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #10248
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Okay, I saw it the day after it opened and I'm finally going to type up a review of:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: 9.0/10

This movie is flat out amazing. It was exactly what I was expecting when I went to the theater.

This is a movie that needs your undivided attention to fully grasp what is going on. I sat there, eyes fixed on the screen, while people were shifting uncomfortably, going to the bathroom, checking their phones, etc.... The shortness of attention spans in most people is ridiculous. You paid to see a movie, so f*cking watch the thing!

It is a terrific period piece. If not for Oldman and a few other actors, I could believe it was actually shot in the 70s. The outfits, the cars, the machinery, the offices, and the decor was amazing.

The editing was masterful. The film deliberately set out to confuse the audience with unannounced flashbacks, for characterization purposes as well as Smiley thinking through his operation. You are f*cked if you don't pay attention.

The direction was also great. It was subtle, mysterious, and had many shots of characters from a distance or dwarfed by surroundings.

Oldman acted the shit out of his role. He was the mastermind, he controlled, he observed, he wept, and he ran an operation to out brilliant spies. He barely said a word, but his presence was immense. The gears were constantly turning, mulling through all of the minutia to find his answers.

Basically, this movie is what a spy's life truly is. Mind numbing, dull, filled with paperwork and gathering intel. You slowly put yourself into position to take the King (chess metaphors were used in the movie). The lifestyle is intriguing to me because these men give up what makes them unique, and segregate themselves from society, to do what they believe is right... But what they believe may not be the right thing. It's all keeping up appearances and concealing information. Every day must be stressful as hell.

I followed along and put the pieces together to solve who was the mole about 6 minutes before Smiley's reveal. That was incredibly satisfying, an engaging movie that I can dissect and solve while watching, while also commenting on the nature of the Cold War. Great, great movie.

Cons: A CGI owl in one scene pissed me off. I would give it a higher rank but it really does require multiple viewings, and I don't know when I want to invest the time and energy again. I'll probably only watch it once more when it comes out on DVD.

If you expect an action movie, have no attention span, or no attention to detail DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #10249
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I seriously had no idea Hardy, Firth, and Oldman were all in Tinker Tailor until I just looked at that picture. That's a awesome.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #10250
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I really need to see Tinker again. I caught it at the theater when I needed to kill time in between appointments and I was only working off of 5 hrs of sleep in 2 days. As soon as I sat down in those comfy theater seats I was drifting. I probably missed like 1/2 in separate chunks of the beginning but I liked everything I was awake for
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #10251
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I seriously had no idea Hardy, Firth, and Oldman were all in Tinker Tailor until I just looked at that picture. That's a awesome.

Yeah, pretty sick cast. Based on your tastes, I bet you'd like the movie. Too bad it seemed to only get a limited release. I had to drive a half hour to see it.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #10252
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Yeah, pretty sick cast. Based on your tastes, I bet you'd like the movie. Too bad it seemed to only get a limited release. I had to drive a half hour to see it.

Yeah, this is one I'd really like to catch on the big screen but I might end up having to watch it when the DVD is released.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #10253
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Cons: A CGI owl in one scene pissed me off..

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #10254
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN

I hate CGI so much.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #10255
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

cgi owl lmao
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #10256
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Rubber 7/10
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #10257
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
No. Im speaking in general. According to your movie review posting history, you have shown that you have horrible taste in films.

At the very least odd tastes.

My gf is kinda like that and it's just weird, some people dig movies differently than the way the majority of other people do.

But it's all good. Draz isn't too bad about it.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #10258
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

East_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i went to see this movie yesterday and i was positively surprised by it. Also the found-footage made it more realistic. I would def recommend this movie.
East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #10259
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by East_Stone_Ya

i went to see this movie yesterday and i was positively surprised by it. Also the found-footage made it more realistic. I would def recommend this movie.

I hate to do this because no one should ever be forced, but can you expand on this a bit. Like write a full review if you have time?

This is one of those movies that I'll likely see anyway, but am curious as to what people's impressions were.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #10260
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Fargo 9.2/10
It is movie with people saying ya. Sad it's based on a true story... To sad. The Margie character was so hot although she's old. I liked the funny way it was put, it's a funny story. With glimpses of low humane nature, I guess. Tak.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: