Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #10516
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Serpico. 7.5/10
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #10517
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Everything Must Go - 7/10

Atlas Shrugged Pt. 1 - notgood/10
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #10518
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

been watchin lotsa movies over the past couple weeks

girl with the dragon tattoo - 8/10

moneyball- 7/10

munich - 7/10

the last three days - 8/10
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #10519
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Marvel's The Avengers - 8/10

Loads of a cool action and funny. Though i'm never going to give in to the idea that it's ok for writers/directors to tell 1/4 of a story and call it complete just because there were some previous books/sequels/back stories that they assume all the viewers already knew about. If i didn't know most of these characters stories already, i'd feel pretty lost, and this would just be a big action movie with little substance.

But if you do know everyone's story (even as far as to recognizing Maria Hill) then it's a pretty fun watch that leaves you wanting more by the end of it. I can't imagine watching it more than twice though. It's the type of movie that's basic (for obvious reasons) so after you get over the thrill of seeing your favorite heroes, one-liners, and sweet action, there isn't much reason to get into it anymore; and you're left praying for a sequel.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #10520
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Limitless - 4/10

Lincoln Lawyer - 7/10
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #10521
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
Marvel's The Avengers - 8/10

Loads of a cool action and funny. Though i'm never going to give in to the idea that it's ok for writers/directors to tell 1/4 of a story and call it complete just because there were some previous books/sequels/back stories that they assume all the viewers already knew about. If i didn't know most of these characters stories already, i'd feel pretty lost, and this would just be a big action movie with little substance.

But if you do know everyone's story (even as far as to recognizing Maria Hill) then it's a pretty fun watch that leaves you wanting more by the end of it. I can't imagine watching it more than twice though. It's the type of movie that's basic (for obvious reasons) so after you get over the thrill of seeing your favorite heroes, one-liners, and sweet action, there isn't much reason to get into it anymore; and you're left praying for a sequel.

See I disagree completely with you on that first point.

They need to STOP devoting so much time and energy to origin stories. Just a little bit for a character, and then establish them through the narrative. Otherwise the movie drags. And that happens in this movie. The first act drags severely.

If you have a well developed/established character like these ones or say Harry Potter and such you shouldn't have to tell their stories to catch up everyone else.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #10522
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Avengers 8.5/10

About as good as a movie can be when it is not meant to be taken too seriously. Lots of good action and entertainment overall. The climax was lacking for me (highlight to read white text): All the badguys from space were lame. Loki was cool, but the rest of the bad guys sucked. Those guys on the flying scooters blew up up cars and buildings, but didn't do shit to any of the Avengers. Same thing with those giant flying monsters. They were completely lame. They were essentially giant flying transports, but really didn't even do as much damage as the guys on flying scooters. They bumped a building here and there, and they were intimidating, but really they didn't threaten anything. Also, how do those things fly? I didn't get the impression that they were magical or god like, so then there should be some sort of physics that helps them fly. But no, no real wings (small fins), no thrusters on the armor, etc. They just glided effortlessly with nothing seemingly keeping them in the air.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:27 AM   #10523
plowking
well DENG

I just saw The Avengers for the fifth time. It still keeps the perfect 10 I give it from my original rate.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #10524
RaininTwos
Betrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Limitless - 4/10

Lincoln Lawyer - 7/10
two of my favorite movies from the past two years.
RaininTwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:30 AM   #10525
Doctor K
Avengers Assemble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
I just saw The Avengers for the fifth time. It still keeps the perfect 10 I give it from my original rate.

i'm at 3

and yes perfect 10
Doctor K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:30 AM   #10526
plowking
well DENG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininTwos
two of my favorite movies from the past two years.
The book was better but movie was good translation.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #10527
Kobe Jnr
Banned

Watched The Descendants. Wasn't expecting much, seemed very depressing, but it was funny also. Clooney was good. I liked it.
Kobe Jnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #10528
JustinJDW

Scale of 1-10 where 5 is completely average.

The Avengers - 8.0

- Not bad, not bad at all. The last of these movies I saw was Ironman 2. I never saw Thor or Captain America, so seeing these characters now was the first time I ever saw them. With that said, I didn't feel I was lost or anything. The story felt pretty self-explanatory. Overall, the writing and integration of the characters was very well done. Couldn't have been better really. No one character dominated the movie, and it had plenty of funny and clever lines. Final battle was freaking awesome. Just action and ass-kicking everywhere. Hulk was beast. Really interested in checking out Thor and Captain America now. I see the movie getting 9's and 10's, and I have no problem with that, because it really could have been awful if done wrong. They did good with this one.

The Debt - 7.7

- Was pleasantly surprised how well this one turned out. Its not an action movie at all really. The flashbacks between 1965 and 1997 are done really well, and really drive the story. The acting is brilliant. Helen Mirren was really good, along with the three other main cast members. Sam Worthington was ok, but Jessica Chastain and Marton Csokas were very exceptional. Things got pretty intense, and they did a very good job and portraying the severity of the situation, and what was at risk. Once you get about thirty minutes in you're hooked. Its not an action movie at all. Its a very well done drama-thriller.

The Chronicle - 5.3

Kind of got dragged into seeing this. I saw the previews and I thought it looked lame as hell. Turned out I was right. It couldn't have been more predictable. There wasn't one point during the entire movie that I even came close to feeling like I didn't know what was going to happen next. Plot is unoriginal. "Kid bullied in High School gets payback. Watch out!" C'mon. Its obvious that the "found footage" gimmick got a lot of people thinking the movie was better than it actually was. The gimmick is really getting old, and I'm wondering when its going to finish running its course. One good thing? Michael Kelly the actor. The scenes with him were good. I like him, he's a solid actor. Other than that, movie wasn't much. But I guess the portable camera filming got "everyone to feel like they were a part of the movie." Psh.

Friends with Benefits - 7.2

- First things first, Mila Kunis is fine as hell. That chick is smoking. This was a funny and very clever flick. It makes fun of romantic comedies which of course it is, and bravely acknowledges how cheesy and corny they can be. Timberlake has become a better actor, and the on-screen chemistry between him and Kunis is pretty good. Woody Harrleson stole the show in my opinion. He plays a gay dude. Movie was cool. Want to **** Mila Kunis real badly.

Colombiana - 4.5

This one was disappointing. Saw the preview months ago and I thought it would be bad ass. Been meaning to see it for months. Finally got the chance. First twenty minutes were cool and it just fell flat on its face. Pacing is whack. It just seemed to flow on at such an uneven pace. Scenes that felt meaningless seem to drag on, and scenes that looked like they deserved real attention just ended real quick. A lot of uninteresting characters are tossed around the story, most with absolutely zero depth other than the lead. Action scenes were ok at best. There was so much build up to the final altercation, and then it happens all of a sudden and ends in about seven minutes later. Zoe Saldana acting was good. The relationship and scenes with her brother/father figure was good. Everyone else and everything else is meh. Disappointing.

Seven - 8.8

- Movie is unbelievably great. I'm sure I'm late and most of you have already seen it. If you haven't, see it now. The ending of course blew my mind into the stratosphere. You know you got a real good ending if you're still thinking about it for days and days on after, no matter if you even particularly liked it or not. Morgan Freeman was awesome. Brad Pitt was awesome. Kevin Spacey was awesome. Pacing was perfect. The tension, excitement and climax was basically built up throughout the whole movie, and the last twenty minutes pretty much had me wanting to explode. Best crime-thriller I've ever seen.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #10529
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe Jnr
Watched The Descendants. Wasn't expecting much, seemed very depressing, but it was funny also. Clooney was good. I liked it.
Take me off your fukking avatar!!! lol
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #10530
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Groundhog Day - 7.5

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: