Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #10651
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

The Town - 8.5/10
Really liked it, Ben Affleck did a great job.
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #10652
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer

AboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this board

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 8.8/10

I'd heard nothing but good things going into this movie, so I was kind of expecting to be let down. That was not the case at all. Really thought provoking, especially with the idea of memory as the driving force in relationships. Jim Carrey played a very out of character role but seemed to do great with it. Rarely do I have next to no complaints with a movie (and with the exception of this one dragging on a little bit more than necessary), this had very few flaws. If you haven't seen this, I highly recommend it

It's also currently on Netflix Instant Streaming.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #10653
JustinJDW

JustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this board

Ratings are on a scale of 1-10, where 5 is completely average.

-8.1/10

I must admit first that I've never seen a full Alien movie before. I seen dozens of parts and pieces, and about a third of Aliens, but I've never sat down and watched a whole film altogether. Therefore, I'm not at all that knowledgeable about the Alien franchise or its fans. To me, Prometheus was basically just a stand alone movie. So I can't really say or dispute anything that any hardcore Alien fans say what was inconsistent about the film to the others. For me however, Prometheus was good film. The acting and directing were phenomenal in my opinion, and so were the special effects. Theron, Pearce, Elba and Fassbender all know how to drive a film. I personally thought the pacing was fine, but it seems many thought it was a bit all over the place, along with the plot itself. I can definitely see how someone may think that. Although I still have questions myself, which I don't necessarily think is a horrible thing, I definitely can't understand how anyone can think how this was anything less than a very good movie. Not disappointed at all, and I most likely will see it again eventually.

-8.7/10

Best horror movie I've seen in years. I read many reviews calling this movie a game changer, and I whole heartily agree. What a fresh and original idea. I give a big applause to Drew Godddard and Josh Whedon for what they did here. They mocked and destroyed the horror genre, and then built it back up in a way. Anyone that's seen the movie would know that I obviously can't give too much away here, because the plot itself is within a whole other plot, but I can tell you that you will definitely enjoy this movie. The script and pacing were great. The acting was solid, outside Richard Jenkins who's always awesome, but the characters were very deep, and you truly cared about their fate. The buildup itself couldn't have resulted in a better payoff and climax. Bravo.

-5.0/10

I really wish I would have seen this film in theaters. Just the atmosphere and eery nature of the film itself seemed like it would have been perfect to see in a dark movie theater alone. I don't know about anyone else, but I do believe that has an effect on how you a perceive a movie afterwards. Either way, I really don't think there was anything spectacular about this movie. There's definitely nothing new, daring or original here. Haunted house basically. Daniel Radcliffe did a good job, as he seriously looked like he was shitting bricks the whole way, but I just found the plot rather boring. There's so much buildup to so many critical moments where the director wanted to jump you out your seat, and I just don't think it was effective. I jumped a couple times, but I really wish I saw this in theaters. Think it could have been much scarier. I do applaud the ending however. Something I didn't see coming.

-7.3/10

Knew about all the hype that surrounded this film, and of course it won Best Picture, but I still walked in not expecting all that. I thought the film was pleasantly good, but do think its getting a bit overrated. Don't think I've ever seen a silent film before, and the atmosphere was actually prettying amazing. What I loved most about this movie though was that the fact that it was silent and black and white, wasn't used as a gimmick at all during the movie. You completely forget about it about five minutes in. The two main leads did a terrific job, and the plot itself was very unique of course. A very good cast all around, and the climax was pretty intense in itself. But like I said, I roll my eyes a little bit at how praised the film it. Do I think its the Best Picture of the year? No way. I think the black and white silent aspect of it got people to exaggerate it a bit. I thought Moneyball was a better film. Still though, was really surprised at how well this was executed, and I did enjoy it very much.

-6.5/10

Not bad at all. Emily Blunt is fine as hell, but she is legitimately a good actress. I think she gets underrated a lot because of her looks. She had great chemistry with Jason Segel, who's also an underrated actor himself. Most likely because he's on that How I Met your Mother show, which totally sucks by the way. Definitely quite a few laughs to be had here though. Plenty of comedic awkward moments and funny scenes that always seem to have just a couple more jokes before it ends. I liked it.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #10654
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Movies I watched on recent plane rides:

Fubar - 7/10
A Separation - 7/10
Man on a Ledge - 3/10
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #10655
clipse026
Local High School Star

clipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected poster

Avengers: 8/10 I had only ever seen the 1st Iron Man coming in and was pleasantly surprised by this one even with all the hype.

Killer Elite: 6/10 Does DeNiro even act anymore? He's basically a really minor character in everything I've seen him in lately. Nothing special here, just a typical Statham movie.

Castaway on the Moon: 10/10 Crazy Korean movie I saw on Netflix about a guy who tries to kill himself by jumping off a bridge. He ends up washing up on an island underneath and can't swim so he decides to live there. There's a woman living nearby who is a shut-in (for reasons never really explained) that notices him. Not much more I can say without giving away the story. This was a really different take on Romantic Comedy that I would recommend to anyone open to Asian films.

Man From Nowhere: 9/10 Another Korean Netflix film. This is pretty much Man of Fire but (for me) more intense. Awesome action and a great lead character. Also the coolest knife fight I've seen in a movie. I repeat, awesome action!

Safehouse: 6/10 Another pretty big meh like Killer Elite. Entertaining but nothing I would pay to see or see again. I can't take Ryan Reynolds seriously as an actor. Also when I see Denzel in a movie I don't see his character. I just see him. Anybody else feel like that now days?
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #10656
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

B-Easy8 is considered somewhat coolB-Easy8 is considered somewhat cool

Project X: 6.5/10

The movie itself was garbage but the sheer epic level of the party and the amount of hot girls brought this score up. I really wish we had parties even 1/20th as good as this in high school.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #10657
upside24
Aspire To Be Great

upside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Grey - 7.5/10

Not as good as I was expecting but it had it's moments. Some sequences seemed obvious and unrealistic in a way but it's action moments were engaging. The ending sucked ass though imo.
upside24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #10658
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

8-8.5/10
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #10659
Cali Syndicate
Decent college freshman

Cali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipse026
\Castaway on the Moon: 10/10 Crazy Korean movie I saw on Netflix about a guy who tries to kill himself by jumping off a bridge. He ends up washing up on an island underneath and can't swim so he decides to live there. There's a woman living nearby who is a shut-in (for reasons never really explained) that notices him. Not much more I can say without giving away the story. This was a really different take on Romantic Comedy that I would recommend to anyone open to Asian films.

Man From Nowhere: 9/10 Another Korean Netflix film. This is pretty much Man of Fire but (for me) more intense. Awesome action and a great lead character. Also the coolest knife fight I've seen in a movie. I repeat, awesome action!

I liked both those movies as well.

Oldboy,

Chaser &

The Good the Bad and the Weird

are also pretty good too.
Cali Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #10660
clipse026
Local High School Star

clipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Syndicate
I liked both those movies as well.

Oldboy,

Chaser &

The Good the Bad and the Weird

are also pretty good too.
Yea I liked all 3 of those. The other 2 vengeance trilogy movies weren't nearly as entertaining. The good,bad, weird was very entertaining. It actually got me into the character who plays the bads film career. Check out A Bittersweet Life (probably in my top 3 Korean movies) and Iris, the drama he was in. Pretty much 24 with more romance.

Just saw this one so..

Prometheus: 8/10 it was entertaining and had decent suspense. Too bad only Fassbender was worth watching and maybe Idris. I liked it though.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #10661
TheSilentKiller
5-time NBA All-Star

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Hide and Seek

Had low expectations going in and I was pleasantly surprised. De Niro and Dakota Fanning both turned in excellent performances and I was entertained the whole way through.

8/10
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #10662
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Rock of Ages - 7/10

I think I'm in love with Julianne Hough. I liked the music and it was great that the actual actors did all the singing. Better storyline than I expected as well.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:21 AM   #10663
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Men in Black III: 7.5/10- Well shoot my head off, let it grown back again as I wisecrack, and shoot it again! This movie turned out to be pretty damn decent! I went in with pretty low expectations, but it made me smile. What was the change? What made this movie closer to the first than the second?

It was funny. The humor was back. Look I think Will SMith has a ton of talent, but he is best, far and away, in this type of role. Tommy Lee playing the straight man to his Fresh Prince is what made the first movie work. And it worked again with Josh Brolin who played Tommy Lee to an absolute tee!

The aliens were menacing again. and the whole time travel things was cool. Seeing MIB in the past was nice. The graphics got kinda funky at times, I think it's because they shot with 3D in mind in some shots so the 2d effect wasn't on point.

The whole ending which I can't talk about here was kinda lame. It seemed like a cop out, because the time travel thing would make for a far more efficient ending to be rendered impossible. But it wasn't a real big part of the movie. Just a little bow on top.

Plenty of winks to fans of the series. Plenty of callback jokes. It's not gonna match the first, that was lighting in a bottle. But it's waaaaaaay better than the second. Recommend for anyone who likes the first MIB.

Avengers Update I saw the Avengers again and I am ready to call it. For me, the 2nd best comic book movie of all time. If Spider Man works and they add him it's hard to imagine a second Avengers not surpassing anything we've seen before.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:30 AM   #10664
markymark
Local High School Star

markymark has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
Hide and Seek

Had low expectations going in and I was pleasantly surprised. De Niro and Dakota Fanning both turned in excellent performances and I was entertained the whole way through.

8/10

It was one of those B-movies that actually turned out ok. The closet scene was one of those OMFG moments.
markymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #10665
JustinJDW

JustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this board

Hangover Part II - 5.5/10

Wasn't as funny as I thought it could be. Was basically identical to the first one, and I thought that one was overrated as well. Everyone was telling me how unbelievably hilarious that one was, and I just didn't find it all that funny. I found more humor in just the general situation the guys get stuck into with these movies, rather than the jokes themselves. Thought it should have been more different than the first, but still, the concept itself is pretty fresh and original in the comedy genre in general. Paul Giamatti cameo-like role was cool. It was alright, but I wish it was better.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: