Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #10666
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJDW
Hangover Part II - 5.5/10

Wasn't as funny as I thought it could be. Was basically identical to the first one, and I thought that one was overrated as well. Everyone was telling me how unbelievably hilarious that one was, and I just didn't find it all that funny. I found more humor in just the general situation the guys get stuck into with these movies, rather than the jokes themselves. Thought it should have been more different than the first, but still, the concept itself is pretty fresh and original in the comedy genre in general. Paul Giamatti cameo-like role was cool. It was alright, but I wish it was better.

Yeah the only thing that actually made me laugh out loud was Ed Helms singing Allentown (Got fvcked in the ass by a chick with a dick).
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #10667
SourPatchKids
Banned

Man From Nowhere: 9/10 Another Korean Netflix film. This is pretty much Man of Fire but (for me) more intense. Awesome action and a great lead character. Also the coolest knife fight I've seen in a movie. I repeat, awesome action!

Bro i went and watched this cause i love korean cinema and i loved man of fire. Was easily one of the best asian films i've watched. thanks for the recommendation.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #10668
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Prometheus: 7.5/10- Well take me to a foreign planet that you know harbored advanced life at some point and immediately begin to touch everything you see because that's such a great idea. This movie wasn't as good as I had thought it was going to be.

I'm not to sure this wasn't an origin of sorts for a possible series. Like... that we have just been given the very beginning of an overarching story. TO me it never felt like we dug too deep into the story. We got the scratchings of a lot of different things, but never dove too deep in. It all worked, and pieced together nicely but I wanted... more. The whole thing with the creation and stuff was done well, and set up for a nice debate on the ride home as to why (spoilers in white): the engineers aimed to destroy life on Earth. If another movie is made I'm sure it'll be answered. My guess is that the being who populated it was a rouge working outside the parameters they had.

The score was fantastic, the acting was on point most of the time, including a really really good turn by Fassbender, and a scene stealing one by Elba. The B-Plot wasn't very efficient in my eyes, but it was fun to follow.

The scares were really good. That much was not lost, Scott knows how to put together a good scare. Nice sense of vulnerability, cramped spacing, it just works very well. A nice bit of winks to fans of Alien.

All in all a very solid movie, in which you see the beginnings of greatness, and it never quite gets there. Not sure if they are planning to move on from here or not but that's what it felt like, and you never wanna feel like that.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #10669
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Ides of March: 8/10

Engaging, smart, great cast.

Plus there's something about Evan Rachel Wood.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #10670
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Syndicate
I liked both those movies as well.

Oldboy,

Chaser &

The Good the Bad and the Weird

are also pretty good too.

I Saw The Devil is my second favorite Korean movie behind Oldboy.

Re-watched Prometheus in IMAX 3D. Still a 9/10. Think I actually enjoyed it a little more the 2nd time.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #10671
niko
I Run NY.

The Town. Pleasant surprise although Ben Affleck's accent reminded me of THE WATERBOY a bit and the last action scene didn't fit the movie, way too much shooting and explosions, etc.

i saw 7.5/10.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #10672
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

So it was a couple weekends ago and haven't written about it. I was sort of letting it soak in a bit. But I saw Moonrise Kingdom.

I was a bit disappointed all things concerned. I'm a huge fan of the Wes Anderson stuff. Even the stuff that some people don't like, like Life Aquatic. And now this thing is being hailed as his best work, and frankly it just didn't click with me.

I think the sticking point for me is that his movies generally center around some quirky character who while bold, usually is somewhat sympathetic, and for whatever reason, I just didn't really like Sam. He struck me as too much of a know it all, which is similar to Jason Schwartzman's character Max in Rushmore. But his was further over the top to the point I found it funny. And there's so little backstory with Sam, we know he's a foster kid, but beyond that very little, that it's hard to attach to him. Suzy, his counterpart, because of her fleshed out family life, with Bill Murray doing Wes Anderson Bill Murray things, and the almost always good Frances McDormand, is a much better character. She has the off putting somewhat bitchy but needs to be rescued persona that characterize so many of Anderson's female characters. I really dug her a lot actually.

It's filled with all sort of Wes Anderson things. Murray, McDormand, Bruce Willis, Ed Norton, were all very good. I could've stood to have Willis' character played with a bit more bite, but that's just a personal choice for me. But for whatever reason it just didn't click for me.

I actually think Fantastic Mr. Fox may be my favorite of his flicks.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #10673
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

Men In Black 3: 8/10

You know it's been a while since the 1st two movies. I actually loved the 2nd one when it came out because I was a lot younger and I liked those kind of movies, although when I go back to re-watch it I realize why people hate it. The first one still has the same magic now though. This one definitely managed to bring back the feel of the first one. There were parts to the movie where I did feel a little bored, but I loved the ending (although I kinda jokingly called it somehow). After the 2nd one came out I was dying for a third, but I'm really happy it took so long because I appreciate it much more.

That's My Boy: 5.5/10

Adam Sandler has really made some bad movies lately but I still go. I actually enjoyed Funny People, Zohan, Chuck and Larry, Click and of course all the classics. Bedtime Stories and Just Go With It were bad and Jack and Jill looked like the worst movie ever made (would never watch it). I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It's got some pretty funny jokes (Rex Ryan= gold) and I love Samberg from SNL. Of course it's predictable (although there is one twist that no one will ever guess) but still fun.
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #10674
clipse026
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I Saw The Devil is my second favorite Korean movie behind Oldboy.

Re-watched Prometheus in IMAX 3D. Still a 9/10. Think I actually enjoyed it a little more the 2nd time.
I Saw The Devil was pretty intense. They seem to handle the crime/thrillers much better than stuff I've seen from America lately. Check out Memories of Murder if you haven't. Also Secret and No Mercy were decent movies and kept me guessing for a while. None were quite as violent as I saw the Devil though .
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #10675
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

The Rum Diary 5.5/10
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #10676
sunsfan1357
Word.

I just watched the new Adam Sandler movie, "That's My Boy," and I won't even lie, I actually liked it. It's just the kind of stupid humor that I enjoy in some comedies and am kind of used to in Sandler movies. Though his voice was kind of annoying through the flick. I'd give it a 5.5/10
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #10677
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Jack and Jill.

Stupid but very funny in some parts and I enjoyed it. 7/10
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #10678
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
The Rum Diary 5.5/10

Man, this was a disappointing movie. It may have been an important period in Hunter Thompson's life, but there's nothing here. They even set you up up for "let's take the fight to pricks ending" like in Animal House, but then just pull it away from you.

Aaron Eckhart does make a very good rich prick though.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #10679
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
So it was a couple weekends ago and haven't written about it. I was sort of letting it soak in a bit. But I saw Moonrise Kingdom.

I was a bit disappointed all things concerned. I'm a huge fan of the Wes Anderson stuff. Even the stuff that some people don't like, like Life Aquatic. And now this thing is being hailed as his best work, and frankly it just didn't click with me.

I think the sticking point for me is that his movies generally center around some quirky character who while bold, usually is somewhat sympathetic, and for whatever reason, I just didn't really like Sam. He struck me as too much of a know it all, which is similar to Jason Schwartzman's character Max in Rushmore. But his was further over the top to the point I found it funny. And there's so little backstory with Sam, we know he's a foster kid, but beyond that very little, that it's hard to attach to him. Suzy, his counterpart, because of her fleshed out family life, with Bill Murray doing Wes Anderson Bill Murray things, and the almost always good Frances McDormand, is a much better character. She has the off putting somewhat bitchy but needs to be rescued persona that characterize so many of Anderson's female characters. I really dug her a lot actually.

It's filled with all sort of Wes Anderson things. Murray, McDormand, Bruce Willis, Ed Norton, were all very good. I could've stood to have Willis' character played with a bit more bite, but that's just a personal choice for me. But for whatever reason it just didn't click for me.

Yeah, I liked parts of this, but it really didn't come together. I think people are saying it's the most Wes Anderson movie he made, but not the best movie he made. It's got the obsessive scene detail and the quirky thematic obsessions he has, but it never really delivers a punch. Feels low budget in a big way and the main kid was not a good enough actor to hang a movie on and it just sinks the movie. Wes Anderson's dialogue doesn't belong in a kid's mouth to begin with, so when it's not delivered with confidence, it's just not good. That scene where they dance on the beach felt like cinematic child abuse. I think he fell in love with the look of the actor and gambled that he would be able to carry it off.

I am excited by this, though
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=79169
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #10680
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Yeah, I liked parts of this, but it really didn't come together. I think people are saying it's the most Wes Anderson movie he made, but not the best movie he made. It's got the obsessive scene detail and the quirky thematic obsessions he has, but it never really delivers a punch. Feels low budget in a big way and the main kid was not a good enough actor to hang a movie on and it just sinks the movie. Wes Anderson's dialogue doesn't belong in a kid's mouth to begin with, so when it's not delivered with confidence, it's just not good. That scene where they dance on the beach felt like cinematic child abuse. I think he fell in love with the look of the actor and gambled that he would be able to carry it off.

I am excited by this, though
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=79169

Yeah, the beach scene was really uncomfortable.

There were certainly parts of it liked. And it was filled with WA feel. The long scrolling shots. The overhead inventory shots.
But the kid was a huge problem, and I felt the same way about the dialogue, and was worried about it going in, but frankly his dialogue doesn't sound natural coming out of most people. I'm always concious it's him.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: