Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #10711
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Everything Must Go 6.5/10

2010: The Year We Made Contact 7/10
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #10712
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

I rewatched First Class last night and for the most part stand by my stance of it being overrated, but a 7 is a good score for it. It's not awful, and it's not mediocre, but its average. If i have to judge it from different perspectives;

As an X-Men movie based from the comics: Mediocre. The couldn't give a damn about continuity. C'mon, Darwin dies?

As an X-Men movie based in its own universe:
Good. Its decent enough to establish a base for future movies to follow this one. But if they do another origin movie and pretend like this one never happened, then this one was just a big waste of time. But if we get about two or three more films that come out of this one it can end up being a pretty good series.

As a standalone movie:
Average. Too many plot holes and lack of depth to be considered good.

Plot Holes
If Shaw has a thing for recruiting powerful mutants, how did he and Magneto end up in each other's rear view? The Nazis lost the war, but what exactly did that have to do with Shaw seemingly ditching this very powerful mutant child (whom-despite having killed his mother in front of him, could have groomed him to be an ally - after very least through brain washing) after going through such lengths to unlock the child's gifts?

Why is there such confusion between Mystique and Prof X's feelings for one another despite them having grown up together. Prof X is basically a college grad yet the way the two interact almost seems like they've only recently just become acquainted with one another. Mystique clearly has feelings for X yet despite him being somewhat of a flirt and obsessed with studying mutations, he acts odd and strange around Mystique as if he doesn't know how to approach her. It's a relationship that doesn't make a lot of sense and has clear issues when it comes to the two characters sharing any chemistry. I blame this on whoever wrote it as they did a bad job of making viewers feel like X and Mystique really care about each other.

Why does Sebastian Shaw have a helmet that blocks telepathy? They could have given a little insight on whether he had a run in with some telepath in the past.

There was next to no background on any characters outside of Charles and Magneto; and really its only Magneto as you see Charles as a kid, then as an adult, but no much info on how he came upon his powers the way we saw for Magneto. Every other mutant came off as nobodies with something special about them, but not much was given to viewers to care about why humans should accept these newly discovered mutants. Its as if the writer/director expected viewers to care about the characters based on prior knowledge of them from the comics, yet took every opportunity to go away from continuity. If you're going to go away from the original origins and stories, why not take some time to create new ones so your story has some depth. Instead most of the mutants came off as 'America's Got Mutants' who tell you their name and then show off their talent. That's not a movie, that's just special effects. I can get that from indie youtube shorts.

I can probably keep going, but i think you get the just of it.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #10713
ZeN
Stormblessed

The Amazing Spiderman - 9 / 10

SpiderMan was awesome.. Can't wait for part two.. Andrew Garfield, best spidey ever.. Glad they rebooted the franchise to get it right.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #10714
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN

SpiderMan was awesome.. Can't wait for part two.. Andrew Garfield, best spidey ever.. Glad they rebooted the franchise to get it right.

This is likely the most glowing review I've seen of this movie.

I've seen it range from "This movie sucks." to it being about a 7.5.

I'll be seeing it this week most likely, and I'll have a lot to say about it since Spidey is imo the greatest comic character and Spider-Man II is still the pinnacle of comic book movies to me.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #10715
Myth

Valhalla Rising 6/10

I had high hopes for this, which I think set me up for a let down. There were moments where it was awesome, but it kind of dragged for the most part. Loved the first 10 minutes, and loved moments of it throughout, but ultimately it was on the dull side and will be pretty forgettable.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #10716
Myth

Question for those of you who have seen the Pusher series. I really want to watch those movies, but Netflix only has part 3. Would there be a major downside to watching Pusher III without having seen the first 2? I know next to nothing about the movies and whether or not they work as continuations that build on the previous movies.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #10717
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN

This movie looks like asshole. Garfield is an emo douche, unnecessary shit about his parents, Gwen Stacy in high school, etc. Based on everything I've seen Peter is only an outcast because he's a total ****, not that he's a true nerd. Wah I skateboard and wear dark clothes, sit in the back of class with a hood on.

I will not watch this.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #10718
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
This movie looks like asshole. Garfield is an emo douche, unnecessary shit about his parents, Gwen Stacy in high school, etc. Based on everything I've seen Peter is only an outcast because he's a total ****, not that he's a true nerd. Wah I skateboard and wear dark clothes, sit in the back of class with a hood on.

I will not watch this.

I wish I could have your resolve but I'm too curious by the mixed reviews to stay away from this one.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #10719
ZeN
Stormblessed

Im positive that most people will rate it lower than me.

I think highly of it for these reasons:

1. I never bought Tobey as Spidey. Sure I accepted him since I had no choice but I always felt that he didn't embody the character. Garfield I think was perfect. His frame and size is ideal and his humor matches the comic books. I believe him as Peter Parker when with Tobey I never really bought it.

2. If not for the former trilogy, this movie would be receiving a types of accolades. It has better directing, is more realistic, and utilizes better CGI. Its nostalgia that will make everyone act like it isn't that solid. Truth is that the first flick from the former trilogy was campy, a bit cheesy, and suffered from limited effects.. Does anyone recall how The Goblin looked? Everyone is spoiled now and want bigger and better, never realizing that Te cinematography effects are vastly superior now.

3. You can't compare this first film to Spiderman 2. Whether we like it or not this is a reboot and so it's handicapped by the need to tell the origin story. From what I see, this will be the ideal catalyst for a second film where it can take many different directions. Everyone is so butthurt that they have to reimagine their image of Spidey, that they are resisting for the sake of being tempremental.

4. This version is dark and realistic.. It doesn't pander to people that want pure escapism.. So people are resisting it, since they want the campy, popular style that the previous ones had.

Im pretty sure that I'll be one of very few that really love the direction that the franchise is taking.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #10720
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
I wish I could have your resolve but I'm too curious by the mixed reviews to stay away from this one.

I initially thought it looked awful, then was intrigued after a few trailers, and then the more I saw the more I lost interest.

Have you seen that 25 minute video some guy made by compiling all of the trailers and leaked footage? He tried to put it chronologically and make it into a 25 minute movie. Did a damn good job, and it made me really not want to see this.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #10721
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
I initially thought it looked awful, then was intrigued after a few trailers, and then the more I saw the more I lost interest.

Have you seen that 25 minute video some guy made by compiling all of the trailers and leaked footage? He tried to put it chronologically and make it into a 25 minute movie. Did a damn good job, and it made me really not want to see this.

I did not see that at all.

I'll have to find it.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #10722
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:

I will not watch this.
Everything you stated is inaccurate. Its surprising that someone like you would base your opinion from Trailers alone.

Have you seen any Andrew Garfield films? Its fine if you dont like him.. But he's definitely not emo.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #10723
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
I did not see that at all.

I'll have to find it.

Here you go: http://screencrush.com/watch-amazing-spider-man-online/
Old 07-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #10724
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Everything you stated is inaccurate. Its surprising that someone like you would base your opinion from Trailers alone.

Have you seen any Andrew Garfield films? Its fine if you dont like him.. But he's definitely not emo.

There's a lot in this about his parents, Gwen was never in high school with Peter, Garfield is totally emo in this movie.

He's a conventionally good looking guy, tons of chicks cream over him. What exactly makes him an outcast in this? He's good looking, skateboards, is thin, gets offers to play on the football team (once he has his powers)... Oh wait, never mind that's totally uncool. At least Tobey could play nerdy and isn't a 'hunk'.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #10725
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer

The Wave 7.9/10

Pretty solid German flick that I watched on a whim on Netflix Instant Streaming. If you have Netflix, you should definitely give it a shot. About a German high school teacher doing a social experiment autocracy which leads to some interesting developments of the behavior of the students. Don't want to say too much, but I was happily surprised. Pretty good acting and overall a very enjoyable film.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: