Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #10861
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

The adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across the 8th Dimension: 6/10- Well I can certainly understand why this is a cult classic. It is an entertaining movie, but you'll never see me praise it. When it drifts into satire it's great, but sometimes you can't tell what it's doing. And when it does drift into satire, well... it's been done better. There just isn't much to say about this one and that's a bummer.

If ever were there a movie that I felt deserved a second crack at it it's this one. A reboot of this I think would work. We've seen sci-fi action/satires work (even 3rd installments of such franchises, following what many believed to be a franchise killing sequel, turn out to work quite well. *Cough* Men in Black *Cough*).

In fact the thing that I got most out of this movie was my brother and I trying to come up with a movie today. Would we reboot the whole thing? Make another 8th Dimension movie? Would we try to do the sequel that they talk about at the end?

I thought about picking the series up in present day. You can get the original cast as winks to the hardcore fans. The gang has split up and gone on to have normal lives while they leave their adventuring in the hands of someone else, my best idea was the kid from the movie. He goes on to be the new Buckaroo, and we pick up with his adventure but something makes it necessary for him to round everyone up again.

Anyway, if you are a sci-fi fan I'd say see this movie just because it's considered a must see. But I personally thought it was okay.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #10862
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Legend-24
The Amazing Spider-Man: 7.5/10

I actually liked this one more than the other spiderman movies, I still don't get why he needed that mechanical device to shoot the web. I thought he was a spider.

Spider Man originally could not shoot webbing. It was a device of his own creation. Many iterations of Spidey are the same, in fact I believe only a few actually produce webbing in their bodies.

I may be wrong but I had heard that for the other series Raimi and friends felt this would cause too many issues within the movie (would have to take more time to establish Parker as the expert, design and build, having to switch canisters would be awkward pacing, etc.) so they scrapped it for a more straight forward approach in him just shooting web. Plus it made the whole puberty allegory WAAAAAY more obvious.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #10863
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i hated memoirs of a geisha, total hollywood tourist does japanese culture, about as unauthentic as films get. rob marshall is shockingly inept at everything, probably the director i hate most.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #10864
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

every so often something comes along and shows us the true potential of film as a medium. this was such a film. one of the very best and original pieces of the last few years. everyone has been doing it wrong, goats and trees make for more engaging protagonists than human beings....a total masterpiece.
btw dont worry about not wanting to read subtitles, theres no dialogue in this film, and its all the better for it.
10/10
Old 07-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #10865
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Posedion - 4/10.
popcorn nothing to do type movie.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #10866
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Watched a double flick tonight...

The Incredible Hulk - 6/10 I thought the beginning of this movie where the platform was laid was very promising and different as well, being that the superhero was already present, his location and how it tied back to the USA was very interesting. I never read any of the comic books so excuse my noobiness. Anyway, I thought after the initial part of the film, the plot was just not that interesting. It just felt like the middle to end of it was rushed and done without a whole lot of creativity, unlike the first part of the movie. Still some good action in it and decent enough to keep me interested.

Thor - 7/10 There was something about this movie to me that just stood out a lot more than Hulk, perhaps it was the fantasy of the 9 realms or the brother rivalry with the father in the middle. I really liked the storyline behind it and how it tied into Earth at the same time, lots of places to go in the sequel as well. Didn't like it as much as Captain America or Iron Man, but pretty good!

Now, off to see The Avengers in theaters! Quite the marathon
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #10867
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Minority Report - 9/10
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #10868
The-Legend-24
LA DECIMA!!

The-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected poster

X-Men Trilogy: 6.5-7/10

Plans got cancelled today, so I decided to watch all 3 X-Men movies. Gonna watch X-Men First Class tomorrow. Been watching a lot of comic books moves lately, lol.
The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #10869
LikeABosh
Banned

LikeABosh is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Watched Battleship the other day, I have no idea why. -1/10
LikeABosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 AM   #10870
TheSilentKiller
5-time NBA All-Star

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Shining: 8/10. I may need some help with this one.

SPOILERS IN WHITE TEXT: Alright, here is what I think happened. This hotel has been a messed up place for a long time. Well before Jack Nicholson and his family get there. Danny kept on having visions relating back to the previous set of murders, done by Grady. The two girls he saw were the daughters, and the woman in the bathtub was his wife. Once Grady was dead, it was his duty (to the hotel) to make sure the legacy of killing your family continued. He did this by posing as a waiter and convincing Jack to off his wife and son.

Dannys alter ego Tony is a spirit connected to the black dude (Hallorann) that is trying to keep the family safe. When he is murdered by Jack, Tony leaves Danny and can no longer try to help him. When they showed Jack in a picture from 1920, I just assumed that whoever was the latest 'victim' of the hotel would be placed in that photo.

If all of that is correct, the only thing I don't understand is what the hell was going on with the dude and the guy in the bear suit???
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #10871
TheeBeast
Local High School Star

TheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this board

Just watched The Shinning also- 9/10

Its never really clear what the story is about, Kubrick was a master at that.

I found this huge article on symbolism in that movie, but its hella long: http://jonnys53.blogspot.com/2007/06...have-seen.html
TheeBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #10872
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Capped off last night with this at the theaters:

The Avengers - 9/10 Wow. simply, wow. That's all I could think as I watched this. I honestly liked it more than TDK. Loved the action and all the big personalities. Can't wait for the sequel!
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #10873
TheSilentKiller
5-time NBA All-Star

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBeast
Just watched The Shinning also- 9/10

Its never really clear what the story is about, Kubrick was a master at that.

I found this huge article on symbolism in that movie, but its hella long: http://jonnys53.blogspot.com/2007/06...have-seen.html

Good article, will have to find time later to read some more of it.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #10874
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Legend-24
X-Men Trilogy: 6.5-7/10

Plans got cancelled today, so I decided to watch all 3 X-Men movies. Gonna watch X-Men First Class tomorrow. Been watching a lot of comic books moves lately, lol.

first class is significantly the best of them imo
Old 07-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #10875
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

8/10
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: