Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #10876
Goliath Uterus
Y.G.R.N

Goliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts

8/10

awesome movie.... the most underrated of it's genre, I put this movie up there with Godfather, Goodfellas, etc.
Goliath Uterus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #10877
Nelson14
Another All Star Year

Nelson14 has a near all-star reputation hereNelson14 has a near all-star reputation hereNelson14 has a near all-star reputation hereNelson14 has a near all-star reputation hereNelson14 has a near all-star reputation hereNelson14 has a near all-star reputation here

ted.
all the good jokes are in the commercials
Nelson14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #10878
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson14
ted.
all the good jokes are in the commercials

that scene where he tries to guess the girls name that go's on for ages is just painfully not funny and yet they crammed the entire thing into the trailer .
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #10879
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
awesome movie.... the most underrated of it's genre, I put this movie up there with Godfather, Goodfellas, etc.
Yup, i really, really liked it. Thought about giving it an even higher rating, but I want to watch it again. Overall though, it was a great film.
irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #10880
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ferris Bueller's Day off - 8.5/10 Working on watching some older movies and this came to mind first. The comedy wasn't over the top and a topic we can all relate to. Loved the "twist and shout" part as well as Wrigley Field. the 80's fashion/style/living was also fun to see.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #10881
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Honestly, this is one of the best movies I've seen in a long, long time. A truly moving and beautiful film.

10/10
irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #10882
The-Legend-24
LA DECIMA!!

The-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected poster

X-Men First Class: 7-7.5/10

I usually don't like prequels, but this is one exception. I Liked how they showed the friendship between Professor X and Magneto, and how they eventually went their separate ways.

Street Fighter The Legend Of Chun Li: Bad/10

Wow. That's all I gotta say.
The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:14 AM   #10883
blacknapalm
spider 3 y banana

blacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation here

7/10 - decent mystery crime drama. felt it could have been more suspenseful (more in white)

i thought the movie did a decent job of setting the premise. older fella to confide in for kay and her abusive bf that is fooling around with her best friend. everybody finding an outlet...three of them being of high school age. ok, i get that part. somewhat generic but it's very plausible so no real qualms there.

other parts were a little easy to telegraph. when he switched the slug, i asked myself...well, what about the shell casing? that's really hard to pin down on someone alone, but you would think a detective would have recognized and made more of an attempt to retrieve it. i guess the panic of the moment and not being able to get away prevented that.

i thought robin williams' character was a little...too knowledgeable to say the least. i would just expect a more seasoned criminal to come off the way he did. i mean, he was a crime author but he showed incredible calm and poise for someone that was in an entirely new situation. i don't think i picked up on how his character knew what inn dormer was staying in. did he take a guess because that was the main inn in the area? or did he follow him from the police station after reading about him in the newspaper?

oh ya, just as an aside...why the hell did dormer not just use a sleep mask to go sleep in. shit, cover your eyes with a bandana. i think his lack of sleep had more to do with doubting himself and remorse but whatever. it just seemed like a strange aspect of the move.

finally, my only other main gripe here is that the ending seemed to happen abruptly. the transition from finch's apartment to the fishing dock was a split second. you knew everything had to come to a head there and likely shootout.

good movie but just could have been fleshed out better to make it great.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #10884
Thirst Quencher
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Thirst Quencher has an OK reputation so far

Fierce Grace 9/10
Documentary about Ram Dass following his stroke. Very inspiring stuff and contains an incredibly emotionally charged conversation near the end with Ram Dass and a woman whose boyfriend was murdered.
Thirst Quencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #10885
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Saturday night I took a late off the cuff trip up to the art house theatre I sometimes frequent, but hadn't been to in a while, to catch a French movie that had been really well recieved called Polisse.

Now I'm not fluent in French, but that means Police. It centers around the seemingly somewhat unique to France section of the Police called the Child Protection Unit. Anytime there is a crime involving a child, the police can't procede without these guys getting there first. Not totally unlike the American Child Protective Services, but much more on the scene kind of a perspective.

The flick has an incredibly gritty, realistic look to it. A ton of handycam. Little filtering. And the dialogue, although subtitled which I know bothers some people, it incredibly raw. If I hadn't known any better, there were times where you could've convinced me it was documentary footage. It's approach is also somewhat unique. You're not looking at a police case narrative. Instead the thing bounces all over these seperate individual cases, and the advertising is that they're based on real cases observed during the research on the case, and stuff that had made media coverage at the time.
This isn't really character driven, and you're sort of dropped into the lives of this unit on a day to day basis. And some of the characters are given quite interesting backstories, but none of them are fully fleshed out. It seems to be more as a way to show the effect their work has on their lives.
It will run you through the full emotional spectrum. There were parts that downright hysterical. A room full of cops interrogating a 14 year old that blew a group of strangers to get her phone back from a girl who had taken it, and the cops simply can't keep a straight face when they question her about what she was thinking and she explains that it was a smart phone. There's explosive tempers. Fighting the system righteousness. Brutal moments of failure. And that's just in the characters. The cases themselves can be heartbreaking.
My gripes are a few. One, it was apparently assembled by a photographer who observed this unit, and then wrote and maybe directed the thing (which is well done), but what is essentially her character is plugged into the narrative, and she serves as a romantic interest, which would be fine with me, but feels very tacked on when you're going through this day to day, individual case approach. There's also an elaborate, seemingly too well choreographed celebration scene at a bar, that just felt surreal compared to the rest of the things grit.
And the end. I'm not positive wheather I like it or not. It was extreme to say the least. It definitely impacted me, so I'm hard pressed to say I didn't like it. But at the same time it didn't seem necessary, nor did it entirely fit either.

I'd definitely recommend it. I'd give it something in the mid to high 80s.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #10886
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Captain America - 9/10

I didn't realize how well this movie ties in with The Avengers. It's a very good superhero movie. I'd like to say it's a top 5 superhero movie of all-time, but I think that's just me toting about one of my favorite superheroes. The acting was very good, and the special effects were among the top for any movie I've seen. I can't give it a 10/10 because some scenes were corny, as they usually are with superhero movies, but nonetheless, it was a damn near perfect movie about one of the GOAT superheros ever imagined.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #10887
TheSilentKiller
5-time NBA All-Star

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
Captain America - 9/10

I didn't realize how well this movie ties in with The Avengers. It's a very good superhero movie. I'd like to say it's a top 5 superhero movie of all-time, but I think that's just me toting about one of my favorite superheroes. The acting was very good, and the special effects were among the top for any movie I've seen. I can't give it a 10/10 because some scenes were corny, as they usually are with superhero movies, but nonetheless, it was a damn near perfect movie about one of the GOAT superheros ever imagined.

Never read any of the Captain America comics, so would that be an issue? I really enjoyed the Incredible Hulk, Ironman, and The Avengers so I was thinking about checking Captain America out as well.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #10888
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Captain America had great acting. I loved the Hulk to.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #10889
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The first 30 minutes of Captain America is fantastic. The whole middle section is pretty good. Ending kind of sucked though. Still, a solid movie overall, and I liked it more than Thor.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #10890
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
Never read any of the Captain America comics, so would that be an issue? I really enjoyed the Incredible Hulk, Ironman, and The Avengers so I was thinking about checking Captain America out as well.

To be honest, I've never read any of his comics. Every superhero franchise I've ever followed has been based off of video games, cartoon shows, toys (<<< as a kid, of course) and movies. It's not that I don't like comics, but I think they get expensive after a while if you keep buying the latest ones.

So in short, no, you could watch the movie with 0 knowledge of Capt. America and still say it was a damn good movie.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: