Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #10891
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
To be honest, I've never read any of his comics. Every superhero franchise I've ever followed has been based off of video games, cartoon shows, toys (<<< as a kid, of course) and movies. It's not that I don't like comics, but I think they get expensive after a while if you keep buying the latest ones.

So in short, no, you could watch the movie with 0 knowledge of Capt. America and still say it was a damn good movie.

http://comicrack.cyolito.com/

You can figure out where to get the comics from here. *Cough demonoid cough*

But it is important to buy some issues because the money has to pump for the physical issues. For example I just picked up the Spider Men issues 1-3. Buy some trades, etc.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #10892
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
Never read any of the Captain America comics, so would that be an issue? I really enjoyed the Incredible Hulk, Ironman, and The Avengers so I was thinking about checking Captain America out as well.
Don't need to read any of the comics to get into the movies or understand them.

I really liked Captain America, more than Hulk, Thor, Iron Man. The pace of the film and the entire story captivated me quite well.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #10893
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Saturday night I took a late off the cuff trip up to the art house theatre I sometimes frequent, but hadn't been to in a while, to catch a French movie that had been really well recieved called Polisse.

Now I'm not fluent in French, but that means Police. It centers around the seemingly somewhat unique to France section of the Police called the Child Protection Unit. Anytime there is a crime involving a child, the police can't procede without these guys getting there first. Not totally unlike the American Child Protective Services, but much more on the scene kind of a perspective.

The flick has an incredibly gritty, realistic look to it. A ton of handycam. Little filtering. And the dialogue, although subtitled which I know bothers some people, it incredibly raw. If I hadn't known any better, there were times where you could've convinced me it was documentary footage. It's approach is also somewhat unique. You're not looking at a police case narrative. Instead the thing bounces all over these seperate individual cases, and the advertising is that they're based on real cases observed during the research on the case, and stuff that had made media coverage at the time.
This isn't really character driven, and you're sort of dropped into the lives of this unit on a day to day basis. And some of the characters are given quite interesting backstories, but none of them are fully fleshed out. It seems to be more as a way to show the effect their work has on their lives.
It will run you through the full emotional spectrum. There were parts that downright hysterical. A room full of cops interrogating a 14 year old that blew a group of strangers to get her phone back from a girl who had taken it, and the cops simply can't keep a straight face when they question her about what she was thinking and she explains that it was a smart phone. There's explosive tempers. Fighting the system righteousness. Brutal moments of failure. And that's just in the characters. The cases themselves can be heartbreaking.
My gripes are a few. One, it was apparently assembled by a photographer who observed this unit, and then wrote and maybe directed the thing (which is well done), but what is essentially her character is plugged into the narrative, and she serves as a romantic interest, which would be fine with me, but feels very tacked on when you're going through this day to day, individual case approach. There's also an elaborate, seemingly too well choreographed celebration scene at a bar, that just felt surreal compared to the rest of the things grit.
And the end. I'm not positive wheather I like it or not. It was extreme to say the least. It definitely impacted me, so I'm hard pressed to say I didn't like it. But at the same time it didn't seem necessary, nor did it entirely fit either.

I'd definitely recommend it. I'd give it something in the mid to high 80s.

ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:11 AM   #10894
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

Adventureland: 7.5/10

Good movie but I don't understand what is so good about K Stewart? She was good for this role but she isn't nearly as hot as they keep making her out to be, Lisa P was hot though. Bill Hader was great and I thought Ryan Reynolds' character was a good inclusion.

Layer Cake: 7.5/10

Daniel Craig is awesome. I liked this a lot. My only problem was that I struggle with the heavy British accent and couldn't understand a few lines. Entertaining movie though.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 AM   #10895
Goliath Uterus
Y.G.R.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Easy8
Layer Cake: 7.5/10

Daniel Craig is awesome. I liked this a lot. My only problem was that I struggle with the heavy British accent and couldn't understand a few lines. Entertaining movie though.

that movie is so fckin cool... I agree about the accent tho, I had to go back a few times and put the subtitles on just to hear what the fck they were saying.
Goliath Uterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #10896
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
that movie is so fckin cool... I agree about the accent tho, I had to go back a few times and put the subtitles on just to hear what the fck they were saying.

Yeah, I would have given it a higher score if it wasn't for that. I would have also liked Tom Hardy to be in it more but I guess he wasn't that big then. The scene when Daniel Craig calls Sienna Miller then they hook up and Gimme Shelter starts playing was great. The kidnapping was very unfortunate timing for him though.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:22 AM   #10897
Goliath Uterus
Y.G.R.N

Quote:
Yeah, I would have given it a higher score if it wasn't for that. I would have also liked Tom Hardy to be in it more but I guess he wasn't that big then. The scene when Daniel Craig calls Sienna Miller and Gimme Shelter starts playing was great.

yea, the whole soundtrack for the movie kicked ass.
Goliath Uterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:26 AM   #10898
sick_brah07
National High School Star

the hills have eyes two...

3.6/10

i witnessed one of the most pointless sex scenes in history lol
(the main monster banging the **** out of the latin chick)
sick_brah07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:34 AM   #10899
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

Memento - 10/10. I can not believe I haven't seen this film before...then again I haven't seen a lot of good ones yet. This is the first movie I've given this high of a rating on ISH. The film begins at "the end" and catches you off guard, expecting it to be merely a recounting of the events prior, but it really is a mindf*ck instead. I love how much the movie made me think and construct the pieces as it was going on. The ending was absolutely crucial to understanding everything else, but this really was a masterpiece. I will watch it again to understand and see more, but I'm simply amazed at this film, can't get it out of my head! Go watch now if you haven't seen.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #10900
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

Batman Begins: 9/10

Great movie. Will watch The Dark Knight tonight then see the The Dark Knight Rises at midnight.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #10901
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose

Memento - 10/10. I can not believe I haven't seen this film before...then again I haven't seen a lot of good ones yet. This is the first movie I've given this high of a rating on ISH. The film begins at "the end" and catches you off guard, expecting it to be merely a recounting of the events prior, but it really is a mindf*ck instead. I love how much the movie made me think and construct the pieces as it was going on. The ending was absolutely crucial to understanding everything else, but this really was a masterpiece. I will watch it again to understand and see more, but I'm simply amazed at this film, can't get it out of my head! Go watch now if you haven't seen.

One of my all-time favorite movies.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #10902
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Captain America had great acting. I loved the Hulk to.

I heard that the "acting" was superb in Captain America ... however the actual movie itself (special effects, and especially the dry storyline) overall, sucked.

Makes me think of The Hulk (which I think someone else mentioned above?) - with great acting (Edward Norton, most underrated actor in all of Hollywood IMO) - yet not much of an overall movie as the ending product.

I have yet to see either film... am I really missing anything?
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #10903
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Batman Begins: 9/10

Great movie. Will watch The Dark Knight tonight then see the The Dark Knight Rises at midnight.

I'm not really even into the Batman movies ... (old or new) ... but I loved Batman Begins ... a bit lengthy ... but damn, what a great flick.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:59 AM   #10904
LamarOdom
Banned

Saw The Notebook on sunday with my girlfriend and I have to admit it was a great movie really liked it.

I would give it a 8-8,5/10.

Not too long ago she forced me to watch A Walk To Remember it wasn't as good but not to bad of a film.
LamarOdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #10905
Ketchup
boogie like

Just re-watched Easy-A with that somewhat decent looking chick. Forgot her name, but she does a really good job playing a somewhat disgruntled teenager, who flip flops with emotions in high school. Reminded me of a few girls that I went to school with actually...

Anyway, this and Mean Girls for some reason are movies I actually don't get sick of watching despite them not being a particular genre of film I like to watch.

I'd give it an 8.5/10.
Ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: