Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #10921
Draz
The People's Choice

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I had to stop watching inception halfway thru, to confusing. I wanna try it again.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #10922
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

*SPOILER FREE*

I saw The Dark Knight Rises at 12:35 EST opening night (Thursday). I'm a huge Batman fan and have reveled in these smart and often somber tone of the Bruce Wayne saga set in a realistic take on Gotham City. I have been following this film for about a year and a half.

One thing I will say is that very little actually surprised me, even given the fact that twists and turns are def thrown in for the general public but I have followed this movie too long, too close to be shocked. That's my own fault.

The writing is extremely intelligent and integrates themes and imagery from the entire saga. The main plot line/threat isn't particularly creative but as with everything in this film, it was executed EXTREMELY well.

Certain things were kinda glossed over and required a major suspension of belief but it helped the narrative tremendously.

The acting was INCREDIBLE. This was probably Bale's best work in the series as far as showing nuanced vulnerability and dejection. Prolly his best acting overall in the series even though BB gave him more.

Tom Hardy is an absolute phenom and Bane did not dissapoint. I loved the voice, the mannerisms, the threat. Hardy's crazy eyes reminded me on a great white shark on a human bear (Man Bear Pig?) lol. He's a great threat who is deceptive yet still the overlord of Gotham. I'm happy he looked pretty damn big the whole film with the exception of the final fight w Batman.

Michael Caine was amazing and provided the emotional core of the story and will leave u with a lump in your throat from time to time. Him and Bruce's interactions in this film are very wholesome yet show two men who are emotionally scarred from Batman's work and (often notorious) legacy.

Check out the movie ASAP. Gives a satisfying ending and met my extremely high expectations. It was not perfect by any means and I have my nitpicks but the writing, story, character acting and inclusive mythology make it a PHENOMENAL trilogy bookend.

The Dark Knight Rises- 8.8/10

Last edited by ROCSteady : 07-20-2012 at 05:11 PM.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #10923
BuffaloBill
Banned

The Dark Knight Rises (NO SPOILERS)

I'm not a Batman fan, I've always been more of a Marvel fanboy, but I walked into this movie with very high expectations. I had been anticipating seeing this movie all week. I saw it on opening night at 12:32, I tried to make it to the 12:00 premier but girls take entirely too long to get ready before they go out, even just to see a movie. But without any spoilers, I can say that the movie delivered. Incredible action sequences and multiple chilling scenes. I had goosebumps throughout. And the actors did an incredible job, especially Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, and Michael Caine. I didn't really like Joseph Gordon-Levitt though. Also, the movie seemed a bit drawn out at points. But overall, fantastic. A must see for any movie goer.

9/10

--------------

Battleship

Finally saw this movie. It's not at all as bad as people make it out to be. It's enjoyable for children and adults. It's no masterpiece of course, but if you go into this expecting an action packed, transformers like epic movie filled with explosions, that's exactly what you'll get and you will enjoy it too.

6.5/10

-----------

Movies so far this summer.

Avengers = 9.3/10
Prometheus = 7.5/10
The Amazing Spider-Man = 8/10
Ted = 6/10
Battleship = 6.5/10
The Dark Knight Rises = 9/10

Upcoming: The Watch, Total Recall, Bourne Legacy.
BuffaloBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #10924
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
Very good flick

I always found it mediocre. The whole appeal of the movie is Bale. If he wasn't amazingly skinny, it really wouldn't be worth watching. Pretty predicable and stale.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #10925
ZeN
Stormblessed

The Dark Knight Rises - 8.8
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #10926
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Flash Gordon 7/10

Even better than when I was a kid, because now I can appreciate the corniness.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #10927
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Batman: The Dark Knight Rises

As someone who wasn't a big fan of the first two films (didn't hate them, but felt slightly bored by them, but appreciate them as well), i loved this movie. Having just finished reading Scott Snyder's Court of Owls, i had a deeper appreciation for the story in TDKR as it demonstrates more how Batman isn't Gotham, nor is Batman simply Bruce Wayne, but that Gotham and Batman are symbols of one another, and the two are very much alive and in need of the other.

From the first time I saw Officer Blake i thought "wow, that dude would have been great if cast as Dick Grayson," we'll wasn't i thrilled when the movie ended with that treat. My only complaint with the character was when his actual name is referred to as being "Robin", why couldn't the lady refer to him as Mr. Grayson?

I really loved this movie though. I could go on and on about what else i liked but its not necessary. I love the returning cameo of Scarecrow and the reveal of Talia. Bane looked silly in all the previews but turned out to be pretty badass.

The one legitimate complaint i do have is that i didn't understand about 25% of Bane's dialog. But i understood enough to follow it.

I didn't like the casting of Catwoman originally, but i felt Anne Hathaway did a pretty decent job and i have no complaints. My girlfriend complained of her being too bleak (as she expects Catwoman to be more like the old batman movie or the cartoon), but considering Nolan was going in slightly different directions I didn't mind her.

That ending has me so happy yet disappointed. Happy because of Robin, but disappointed because Nolan said he's done and i heard rumors that when he's done the studio would just reboot the series again (ala Spider-Man). I really wish they would just continue where he left off.

9/10 film for me.

Last edited by Loneshot : 07-20-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #10928
Draz
The People's Choice

People rating TDKR less than The Avengers? MHMMM ..... surprising
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #10929
Rnbizzle
Banned

TDKR: 9.5/10

It was that good in my opinion.
Rnbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #10930
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

TDKR: 8.7/10

awesome movie, better than Begins but slightly worse than TDK
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #10931
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
TDKR: 8.7/10

awesome movie, better than Begins but slightly worse than TDK

My thoughts exactly. I need to watch it a few more times though before I make a final judgment.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #10932
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

Thank You For Smoking: 7.5/10

Very entertaining movie. Eckhart is an excellent actor.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #10933
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_back
Inception is a great film but I think Memento, Dark Knight and Insomnia are his 3 best films.

ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #10934
CardiacKemba
High School Varsity 12th Man

The Dark Knight Rises: 9/10.

Great movie, thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining.

FYI, I have Batman Begins as 8.5 and The Dark Knight as 9.5 (Equal favorite movie).
CardiacKemba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:57 AM   #10935
Saintsfan1992
Good High School Starter

TDKR

10/10

At one point,my breath was taken away.
Saintsfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: