Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #11026
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaeh
As you get older, you begin to feel your own mortality, and become more empathetic to people and what they're going through, even characters in movies. It's funny, but as you get older, characters you thought were "cool" as a youngster in movies begin to look like irresponsible idiots to you, as you get older.

Yeah, I think life experiences make people more empathetic. For example, a scene with a dying father is more impactful on somebody whose father died, and the older you are, the more likely that is the case (or even relate it to close to death). Same thing with lost lovers, issues around children, etc. If you can relate, and the older you are, the more situations you relate to, the more likely it will trigger emotions. The biggest tear jerker for me is simply Marley & Me because no person really close to me has died, but I have had a dog die, and a current dog that could easily be gone in 5 years or less.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #11027
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I saw The Watch yesterday. Not great. It felt like it was constantly ramping up to something, but nothing ever came of it. The stakes were saving the world, but the tension didn't fit. The aliens were alright, a lot of it seemed practical with CGI to just add texture (other than when they were running). There were consistent laughs, but nothing really stood out. I'd give it a 6.9. Worth checking out if you like any of those guys. Vince Vaughn still doesn't make me laugh.

----------------------------

I also saw Super last night, starring Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page. It really impressed me. It tackled the 'normal person becoming a super hero' trend, and in my opinion was far better than Kick Ass and Defendor.

It got super f*cking dark, surprisingly violent, and caught me off guard. It had some interesting direction, a few really cool shots, solid music, and really went for it. I'd recommend this over The Watch, and give it a 8.1.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #11028
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder

I was really looking forward to this, but considering I'm not rushing to a theater after surgery to see a movie that has such a low RT rating, I will probably wait until DVD.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #11029
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I was really looking forward to this, but considering I'm not rushing to a theater after surgery to see a movie that has such a low RT rating, I will probably wait until DVD.

Yeah wait for the rental, especially with your surgery. I was consistently chuckling which is tough for a big budget comedy, but it's really not noteworthy.

Rating the 4 guys: Jonah Hill was the funniest, then Ayoade/Stiller, then a distant fourth is Vaughn.

Vaughn just does the same schtick as Wedding Crashers in every comedy he's in.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #11030
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Watched so many movies lately that I've got viewer's block lol
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #11031
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Bernie (Jack Black Film) - 8.5/10
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #11032
therammingman
National High School Star

therammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputation

just finished zombieland

therammingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #11033
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

so much for that viewer's block...

Snatch - 7.5/10. This was a very enjoyable film. Lots of comedy and the plot was nicely woven together. Brad Pitt was great with that accent, had to put the subtitles on for him lol. No real twists in this, just a good ol' movie to sit back and relax to watch.

Donnie Darko - 9/10. A very well done psychological thriller with a great performance by Jake Gyllenhaal. Still digesting exactly what happened and how it fit together, but the end leaves you a bit confused but you put most of the pieces together pretty fast. The bunny was creepy af and it was revealing to see his thoughts and actions such manifest through "Frank". Will have to watch again for sure.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #11034
Myth

Safe House 6/10

First 15 minutes was interesting. Last 20 minutes were interesting. The middle hour or so had no redeeming value. Just running away from bullets that constantly miss with no dramatic scenes and no addition to the story. Also, I predicted the villain in the first 5 minutes of the film based on the role, general story, and actor; so that didn't help my opinion of the movie.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #11035
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
Watched so many movies lately that I've got viewer's block lol

what's viewers block?
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #11036
JustinJDW

JustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this board

Scale of 1-10 where "5" is completely average.

4/10

Great casting, and a really good acting job by everyone around. Even the minor roles were done extremely well by guys like Jason Clarke and Stephen Graham. That's the only great thing about this movie however. Its actually hard to believe that Michael Mann produced this. The plot itself is mildly interesting in the beginning, but the execution is terrible. The pace is totally whack and confusing, and there are a couple plot pieces that are just completely left unanswered. The setting and atmosphere is kind of cool and gritty, being in a small town a few miles southeast of Houston. However, for some odd reason, the fight scenes are borderline unwatchable. There aren't a lot in the first place, but in the scenes that take place at night, you really can't see shit. Characters are also massively unoriginal. There the same people in all crime movies. "Young eager cop, old worn down cop, blah blah blah."

You could tell immediately that they attempted to mirror the movie Seven, but it just doesn't work. At first I thought maybe it was me, but I'm not the only one who didn't think much of this film. Looking at Rotten Tomatoes, the film got a 33%. Main criticisms being the same as mine. Confusing pieces, jumbled plot, unoriginal characters, lack of a real payoff or climax. This movie could have been better, but it just didn't work out, and fell flat on its face. I'm not going to totally criticize Jeffery Dean Morgan, Jessica Chastain or Michael Mann, because they've had a hand in plenty good movies.

Last edited by JustinJDW : 08-02-2012 at 07:44 PM.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #11037
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJDW
4/10

So its one of the worst movies youve ever seen? Because giving a four gives off that impression.

How does a movie that has solid acting as you said get a 4? Wouldnt that make it above average?
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:00 AM   #11038
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

Forrest Gump - 10/10. I'm one of the very few people that I know who hadn't seen this film, that changed tonight. Was watching tv with the gf, she's flipping through channels and stops at lifetime for the beginning of some cheesy movie...or so I thought. What an absolute powerful story this was, had be glued to the screen and many heart strings were pulled over and over. Glad to finally say I've seen it.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:23 AM   #11039
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Three Stoogies - 4/10

Nothing can ever take the place of the original three stoogies. Characters were off, just this movie should of been done properly. I love the three stoogies, grew up watching them and now .. well this movie didn't really excite me much knowing there won't be a remake any time soon. My family enjoyed it of course.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:52 AM   #11040
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Dark Knight Rises: 8.7/10- I will do a more in depth review in the actual thread so I can discuss more without worrying about spoilers.

But this movie was a great bow on top of the fantastic Nolan films. When it ended I was sad, knowing that sometime soon someone will ruin this by making another Batman movie. I was worried about Bane following The Joker. But he was arguably a more interesting character in the movies. I was worried about Catwoman, but she worked out nicely. I was worried about stupid call back things, but all the call backs were absolutely brilliant!

There were a few issues, it was a little bloated and ran very long. With some tightening up it could have been that much better. There were a couple things I just didn't quite understand why it was included, they seemed kinda random.

But overall. Great. Great franchise. Great ending. Bravo Nolan.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: