Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 AM   #11116
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
God Bless America: 7/10. Pretty funny movie, kind of reminded me of Kick Ass but more vulgar.

Did you stream that somewhere online? Got a link? I went to watch it like a week ago but all my links were dead.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 AM   #11117
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
I haven't seen a whole lot of the Coen Brothers
Slap yourself for me.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #11118
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Slap yourself for me.
I know, i know. I've seen True Grit and that's about it I think...haven't been a huge film buff until this summer, so lots of catching up. Have The Big Lebowski downloaded to watch soon.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #11119
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
I know, i know. I've seen True Grit and that's about it I think...haven't been a huge film buff until this summer, so lots of catching up. Have The Big Lebowski downloaded to watch soon.
Lebowski
Fargo
No Country for Old Men
Barton Fink
A Serious Man

If I were to rate the greatest 15 movies of the last 20 years, all five of these would probably be on it... And NCFOM and Fargo would both be right near or at the top.

They are on another level. Seriously, you haven't seen NCFOM?!
Old 08-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #11120
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

Quote:
Lebowski
Fargo
No Country for Old Men
Barton Fink
A Serious Man

If I were to rate the greatest 15 movies of the last 20 years, all five of these would probably be on it... And NCFOM and Fargo would both be right near or at the top.

They are on another level. Seriously, you haven't seen NCFOM?!
Have not seen NCFOM, but it's on my list for sure.

You should scroll back the last 10-15 pages and see all the movies I've been watching and they're all like "WTF you haven't seen that?"...to name a few: Pulp Fiction, Memento, Se7en, Snatch, Fight Club, Forrest Gump, Watchmen, Requiem for a Dream, Ferris Buehler's Day off, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The Usual Suspects, Inception, Alien, etc.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #11121
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Quote:

You should scroll back the last 10-15 pages and see all the movies I've been watching and they're all like "WTF you haven't seen that?"...to name a few: Pulp Fiction, Memento, Se7en, Snatch, Fight Club, Forrest Gump, Watchmen, Requiem for a Dream, Ferris Buehler's Day off, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The Usual Suspects, Inception, Alien, etc.

Cinematic Awakening
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #11122
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:

I wish I were you.

Not a huge fan of Snatch, Gump, Watchmen, The Usual Suspects or (and especially) Inception, though.

The Coen Brothers... get on those. I'd jump 'em to the top of whatever list you have. Also check out Paul Thomas Anderson's There Will Be Blood and Boogie Nights if you haven't already.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:48 AM   #11123
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Transit- 6/10 good average movie
Draz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #11124
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Contraband 7.5/10

Better than I was expecting.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #11125
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

Quote:
I wish I were you.

Not a huge fan of Snatch, Gump, Watchmen, The Usual Suspects or (and especially) Inception, though.

The Coen Brothers... get on those. I'd jump 'em to the top of whatever list you have. Also check out Paul Thomas Anderson's There Will Be Blood and Boogie Nights if you haven't already.
Will certainly do so, have been itching to see TWBB. Surprised that you weren't a big fan of The Usual Suspects, it blew me away.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #11126
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

Dazed and Confused - 5/10. I think I'm going to get a lot of flak for this one, because all I've ever heard is that it's a comedy classic and what not of it's genre...but I literally laughed twice. The story went nowhere, literally. I know it's a comedy but most have an actual, you know freaking plot. I'm totally into the 70's and into high school movies, but wtf why didn't I find this funny? How is this a classic? I did love the music however, only reason the rating wasn't even lower. I mean I was literally just staring at the television for an hour and 45 minutes with nothing happening...and to top it off, not even a single boob shot. fml.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:01 AM   #11127
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Will certainly do so, have been itching to see TWBB. Surprised that you weren't a big fan of The Usual Suspects, it blew me away.
Meh, the first time I saw it, I thought it was great. Not the kind of movie that stood up for me on rewatches though... And I always found something tedious about watching that movie. Hard to explain exactly why, but after the first couple of watches, I generally avoided it.

I'm not saying it is a bad movie. I just wouldn't put it on my all-time list, because one of the big keys to a great movie -- for me -- is the rewatchability.

I can watch a Coen Bros. movie multiple times and still find interesting nuances that put them into a whole new light for me. I know every piece of dialogue from Fargo and I will still watch it right now if it were on.

I sort of felt like, with The Usual Suspects, once you knew the twist at the end, there wasn't much more to it.

Nothing like Inception, though, which I genuinely did not like.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:07 AM   #11128
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:

Dazed and Confused - 5/10. I think I'm going to get a lot of flak for this one, because all I've ever heard is that it's a comedy classic and what not of it's genre...but I literally laughed twice. The story went nowhere, literally. I know it's a comedy but most have an actual, you know freaking plot. I'm totally into the 70's and into high school movies, but wtf why didn't I find this funny? How is this a classic? I did love the music however, only reason the rating wasn't even lower. I mean I was literally just staring at the television for an hour and 45 minutes with nothing happening...and to top it off, not even a single boob shot. fml.

I think for my generation, this movie will always have a special place. It is more a nostalgia thing than a truly great movie thing. At the time that this movie came out, there was a huge retro push going on wherein early-90s high schoolers were falling in love with the music, art, fashion, etc. of the late-60s and 70s.

Dazed and Confused hit the streets at literally the perfect time and spoke to our generation for that reason.

I can understand why an adult watching it in 2012 may have a pretty neutral reaction to it.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:14 AM   #11129
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Quote:

Things did happen they just weren't the thing you were expecting and waiting to see..

Its not a slapstick nor joke filled movie.. That's not really what Richard Linklater films are about. Its not even a straight comedy but its labeled that for commercial purposes. Its basically suppose to be a display of generational authenticy. Its not a laugh out loud commedy at all.. Linklater uses humor in his dialog almost as an afterthought, keeping it to sarcastic and ironic comedy. His films are entirely dialog driven.. So you probably won't like many of his other personal movies like Waking Life, and the Sunset/Sunrise movies..

Although Bad News Bears and School of Rock are closer to the typical comedic types.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:25 AM   #11130
Burgz V2
Good college starter

just watched "horrible bosses"

that shit was hilarious. 7/10
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: