Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #11161
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I personally feel Pulp Fiction is overrated. It's a good movie, just not some hands down you better STFU and give it 5 stars without hesitation type shit. I still can't believe it had a mere budget of some 9 million with such a stellar cast. Meanwhile, a year later, Waterworld operated on some 175 million budget and was a far worse release.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #11162
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
I personally feel Pulp Fiction is overrated. It's a good movie, just not some hands down you better STFU and give it 5 stars without hesitation type shit. I still can't believe it had a mere budget of some 9 million with such a stellar cast. Meanwhile, a year later, Waterworld operated on some 175 million budget and was a far worse release.

movies only use 4 stars i thought?

but i disagree, it's great story telling in the film medium
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #11163
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
movies only use 4 stars i thought?

but i disagree, it's great story telling in the film medium

Well, I'm no movie buff, so I suppose what you say is true.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #11164
"Jesus"
Short & Sweet

"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder

Safety Not Guaranteed: 8.9

An 8.9 is a very high rating from me, I rarely give out a 9+.

Basic plot: A man puts up a classified ad for someone to go back in time with him. A writer sees this and takes two interns to do a story on the man who wrote the ad. Darius (Aubrey Plaza) meets the writer of the ad, Kenneth (Mark Duplass), and he begins to train her and see if she's worthy of being his partner.

This movie just worked for me. It's pretty light, with flawed and pained characters, a few funny parts, and it has a bit of sci-fi. It's about relationships, and capturing human moments.

Also, at specific points things contradict what was done and said earlier, leading you to question whether they made it back in time and changed these things, or whether the characters were lying.

Intriguing, worth checking out. It's my second favorite of the year behind Moonrise Kingdom and above The Intouchables.

Cool, I want to check it out. Where did you watch it? Looks interesting.
"Jesus" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #11165
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus
Cool, I want to check it out. Where did you watch it? Looks interesting.

A little indie theater about a half hour away started showing it yesterday. Your best bet is to probably grab a DVD of it whenever it comes out, unless you get lucky and find a small theater running it.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #11166
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So my turn to see Batman.

I'll start by saying I thought it was outstanding. There's no question Nolan is simply a great filmmaker, and he's specifically well suited for these over the top action flicks. His special effects are just more seamless than everyone else for starters. And he knows how to cut set pieces to make them feel real.
On the negative side, there were moments where it just feels too convoluted. The plot gets just a hair too brow wrinkling. I'm gonna throw a spoiler in here, but even though I had been waiting for Marion Cotillard (who by the way is just stunningly beautifull) to turn on him, her final exposure as Talia Al Gul and Batman is making that confused face at her, it felt like Bale didn't have to reach much for that expression, it almost looked like he was personally just trying to figure what the hell exactly was happening. I'm not a comic reader, but I have 100% both of the Batman video games, and feel like I have at least a better than average working base of the Batman world, but that was peculiar. I felt the football scene felt a little out of place. I did really enjoy the opening set piece on the plane, although it is the second time in the series they had someone dangling from the back of a plane, which seemed odd. Must be something they really liked the look of.

There are a couple standout performances. I really enjoyed Bane. There isn't much to work with, but little things like posture, and the way he walked, and grabbed his collar, were all nice choices. I felt like the decision to have him be doing an impression of a Sean Connery impression was a bit odd, but it was doable. Oldman's Commisioner Gordon over the life of the trilogy is one of the fuller characterizations of what could've been a periferal characters that I can recall. And it's due to both the performance, and the writing obviously, because he really does things. I found his closing recollection of Batman was really touching. Levitt was excellent as usual. And that was a character that I felt could've come across as a little cheesey at a point or too, but he kept him genuine in a few spots I thought it could've become an issue. And too my surprise, I thought Anne Hathaway (who again, just stunningly gorgeous) really created a memorable character even though it was written a little over the top. The smoldering sexuality of the character I felt came strictly from her, and her ability to turn it on and off, while not exactly as human as a lot of Nolan's characters in this world, was really incredibly done. I'd be fine watching spin offs with her. I thought Matthew Bodine was terrible, and not just because he supposed to be, he just didn't feel right to me.

An aside, I always find it intrigueing when these major movies draw halfway recognizable faces for these tiny bit parts. Tommy Carcetti / Littlefinger as the opening setup's CIA guy gave me a giggle. Dexter's sister's boyfriend / douchebag womanizing partner as the bridge cop was fun. Bruce Wayne's doctor being Lt. Dengle was worth a laugh for me.

Overall I'd score it somewhere in the mid 80s. I actually think it's a slightly better movie than 2, it just doesn't have the single iconic performance to cling to.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #11167
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Lost in Translation

7/10

Solid, well-made film but it didnt really do much for me.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #11168
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Parking Lot Movie 6.5/10
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #11169
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

NuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Safety Not Guaranteed: 8.9

An 8.9 is a very high rating from me, I rarely give out a 9+.

Basic plot: A man puts up a classified ad for someone to go back in time with him. A writer sees this and takes two interns to do a story on the man who wrote the ad. Darius (Aubrey Plaza) meets the writer of the ad, Kenneth (Mark Duplass), and he begins to train her and see if she's worthy of being his partner.

This movie just worked for me. It's pretty light, with flawed and pained characters, a few funny parts, and it has a bit of sci-fi. It's about relationships, and capturing human moments.

Also, at specific points things contradict what was done and said earlier, leading you to question whether they made it back in time and changed these things, or whether the characters were lying.

Intriguing, worth checking out. It's my second favorite of the year behind Moonrise Kingdom and above The Intouchables.

Looking really forward to this. Trailer looked awesome, really like Mark Duplass and Aubrey Plaza. Everything I've heard about it so far has been really positive.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #11170
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Hunter 8/10
Old 08-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #11171
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Raj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Anyone seen "Extremely Loud Incredibly Close"? Looks good thinking bout renting it for tonight. Is it worth a watch?
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #11172
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Captain America

6.5/10

Pretty much exactly what I expected.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #11173
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Fathers Day - 7/10
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #11174
Myth

Fear Island 6.5/10

Better than I expected. Pretty good plot, even though it was pretty predictable. Acting is what lowered it down from about a 7 or maybe 7.5.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #11175
EricGordon23
Good college starter

EricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation here

The campaign 6.5/10 supporting cast made the movie. Will farrel and.zach galifinakis were the same characters they always play. Gets boring.
EricGordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: