Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #11176
step_back
College superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,804
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Seven psychopaths 8/10

A brilliant thriller from the writer of "In Bruge" Sam Rockwell proves himself as one of the most under rated actors out there. Brilliant plot twists with solid writing all the while poking fun at cliches. Well worth watching!
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #11177
D-Wade316
F***
 
D-Wade316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,631
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

21 Jump Street - 7/10

I love films that relish of their ridiculousness, but not forgetting the human elements of the story. Overall direction was very good. Chase scenes are standouts. Quite surprised with the level of violence of the shootout in the hotel.

Last edited by D-Wade316 : 01-21-2013 at 10:48 AM.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #11178
D-Rose
Da Mavs
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,155
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Zero Dark Thirty - 8.5/10

Very well done film. I was actually born in Abbottabad and have been back many times, the latest being in 2010. They did a great job of portraying Pakistan, even though it was filmed in India for those parts. Some small parts were inaccurate like which language was being spoken in Abbottabad and also that it's more like a 3 hour drive from Islamabad to Abt, not 45 minutes lol.

The shootings in Khobar, Saudi Arabia in the film are also very real and I remember living in Saudi at the time when that happened. Our compound's American population took a nosedive as everyone moved their families out.

Jessia Chastain was breathtaking. Freaking gorgeous but cold blooded at the same time.

As for the torture, I like how this exposes the CIA a bit to the general public. The water boarding was hard to watch, but it was necessary. The whole rhetoric of being the country of moral stature and freedom is really all bullshit from the government. I don't believe that a whole lot has changed either since Obama's come into power. Sure it's harder but Americans torture and kill people around the world every single day...and the general populace is clueless to it all.

Couldn't help but also think that this whole mess that has ensued in the middle east is very much in part because the U.S. has put itself in a position to make these lunatics want to attack them. Afghanistan and Iraq have to be two of the most embarrassing campaigns in military history for a superpower nation.

Good film overall. Freaking idiots were laughing at the most serious parts...like when the family inside the compound were being shot...or when the guy was like "Osamaaa" as he was looking for him. Shameless uncultured and misinformed American youth
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 AM   #11179
jamal99
Valar Morghulis
 
jamal99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Serbia
Posts: 5,074
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Eastern Promises - 8.5/10

Dat acting by Viggo Mortensen...
Amazing performance.
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #11180
D-Wade316
F***
 
D-Wade316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,631
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
Zero Dark Thirty - 8.5/10

Very well done film. I was actually born in Abbottabad and have been back many times, the latest being in 2010. They did a great job of portraying Pakistan, even though it was filmed in India for those parts. Some small parts were inaccurate like which language was being spoken in Abbottabad and also that it's more like a 3 hour drive from Islamabad to Abt, not 45 minutes lol.

The shootings in Khobar, Saudi Arabia in the film are also very real and I remember living in Saudi at the time when that happened. Our compound's American population took a nosedive as everyone moved their families out.

Jessia Chastain was breathtaking. Freaking gorgeous but cold blooded at the same time.

As for the torture, I like how this exposes the CIA a bit to the general public. The water boarding was hard to watch, but it was necessary. The whole rhetoric of being the country of moral stature and freedom is really all bullshit from the government. I don't believe that a whole lot has changed either since Obama's come into power. Sure it's harder but Americans torture and kill people around the world every single day...and the general populace is clueless to it all.

Couldn't help but also think that this whole mess that has ensued in the middle east is very much in part because the U.S. has put itself in a position to make these lunatics want to attack them. Afghanistan and Iraq have to be two of the most embarrassing campaigns in military history for a superpower nation.

Good film overall. Freaking idiots were laughing at the most serious parts...like when the family inside the compound were being shot...or when the guy was like "Osamaaa" as he was looking for him. Shameless uncultured and misinformed American youth
Same rating. Some found the first 45mins or so boring but I found it brilliant. It accurately depicts the frustration of the intelligence community of finding the lead to Bin Laden. The first time Chastain's character appears on screen we see her as a rookie then she becomes a grizzled veteran by the middle of the movie. It's plot driven but it never lost sight of its main character.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #11181
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan
 
Timmy D for MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 8,164
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.



Sleepwalk With Me: 8/10- Mike Birbiglia is one of, if not absolutely, my favorite current comic. So of course when this showed up on the Netflix I jumped on it. And boy what a ride this was!

It starts slow, and he incorporates his stand-up material a little weird at times in odd transition scenes, but this kind of endears it a little bit. It looks and feels like an indie movie, not one of those well polished indie movies that surprises you to learn that it was independent. So the sloppy stuff kind of makes it more accessible in a way.

Lets get down to the content. Birbiglia is hilarious, and he plays the same character as his stand up routines (which I am convinced is just him). But it goes from being this indie comedy about this kind of loser guy, to being a really good examination of a failing relationship that started failing when it began. And man it's pretty heartbreaking because you can see it the WHOLE time and they're just both wasting their lives and at the end he goes back to talk to her later and asks some questions and her answers are really poignant and... it's just shocking how quickly this story turns into a failed relationship and this guy who is really kind of Sleepwalking (NAME DROP!) through his life.

The Sleepwalking sequences are interesting too. Really really weird.

I highly recommend it for all, and I say it's required viewing for Birbiglia fans. Also I believe at least one of his specials is on Netflix as well so watch it.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #11182
Hotlantadude81
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7,356
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade316
Same rating. Some found the first 45mins or so boring but I found it brilliant. It accurately depicts the frustration of the intelligence community of finding the lead to Bin Laden. The first time Chastain's character appears on screen we see her as a rookie then she becomes a grizzled veteran by the middle of the movie. It's plot driven but it never lost sight of its main character.

Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #11183
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 20,526
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP


Sleepwalk With Me: 8/10- Mike Birbiglia is one of, if not absolutely, my favorite current comic. So of course when this showed up on the Netflix I jumped on it. And boy what a ride this was!

It starts slow, and he incorporates his stand-up material a little weird at times in odd transition scenes, but this kind of endears it a little bit. It looks and feels like an indie movie, not one of those well polished indie movies that surprises you to learn that it was independent. So the sloppy stuff kind of makes it more accessible in a way.

Lets get down to the content. Birbiglia is hilarious, and he plays the same character as his stand up routines (which I am convinced is just him). But it goes from being this indie comedy about this kind of loser guy, to being a really good examination of a failing relationship that started failing when it began. And man it's pretty heartbreaking because you can see it the WHOLE time and they're just both wasting their lives and at the end he goes back to talk to her later and asks some questions and her answers are really poignant and... it's just shocking how quickly this story turns into a failed relationship and this guy who is really kind of Sleepwalking (NAME DROP!) through his life.

The Sleepwalking sequences are interesting too. Really really weird.

I highly recommend it for all, and I say it's required viewing for Birbiglia fans. Also I believe at least one of his specials is on Netflix as well so watch it.

Nice, I just took a script analysis class with the guy who helped write and directed the stage play and then film version of Sleepwalk.

This dude

Just put in on my netflix que, gonna try to catch it sometime in the next 3 days.
DonDadda59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #11184
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude
 
KevinNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,730
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Just watched The Separation.
10/10

I haven't had the patience to watch to many movies with subtitles lately. Often playing on my computer when watching movies this days. However, I watched some of the great movies that have come out of Iran in the last couple of decades and this is another. For all the screwiness of their politics they have developed a very humanist cinema. This movie should be shown to all writers. It's perfect shows conflict among characters without one character or another being the bad guy. Every character has their motives and you can totally understand why they do what they do and feel sympathy to all the characters. Also the way it's told is very skilled, it unfolds in a way where the conflict becomes more and more intricate with more and characters involved. It very rare in a movie that the writer or director don't show their sympathies to one character or another. This is a movie where almost all characters are given their due.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #11185
D-Wade316
F***
 
D-Wade316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,631
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Ted

Sweet. 8/10.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #11186
Whoah10115
Linja Status
 
Whoah10115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,687
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Blue Valentine

2 - 2 1/2 stars.


Upset me. There were a lot of powerful scenes and the chemistry between the two was strong. The scene where he plays her the ukelele was terrific and the best scene in the film. With all the cutting, I wish I'd heard that song play throughout the film or through a stretch of edited scenes/images.


But, getting to the point...it really bugged me. It makes me wonder how supposed cinephiles can disregard such obvious issues. Ryan Gosling has a lot against him and I can't understand the transition to white trash lol. I also don't get the Williams' character...am I supposed to judge her so easily? Where are the complications?


It's uneven and lacking. Too much zoom on the actors' faces.


Luckily, the two leads are terrific. Williams is perfect and Gosling, especially, is stellar. And like I said, he does a lot with a little. Probably 2 1/2 stars, because of the actors.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #11187
D-Wade316
F***
 
D-Wade316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,631
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Les Miserables(2012)

Hooper is a ****ing hack. 5/10.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #11188
Graviton
☯‿☯
 
Graviton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,940
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Gangster Squad - 6/10

Basically a homeless crackhead's "The Untouchables" with no character development.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #11189
LBJ 23
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,987
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

The others - 9/10


LBJ 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #11190
outbreak
......................
 
outbreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rob Hennigan's basement
Posts: 14,163
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Watched gangster squad a couple of weeks ago and would give it a 7/10. Solid movie if you just get into it and ignore the absurdity.
A couple of days ago I watched Argo and would give it an 8/10 until you actually look up the facts of the event and find out 90% of the movie that Ben Affleck and the media were hyping up as following the story 100% are actually bull crap and major players and countries involved are totally left out. Then it drops down to maybe a 2/3 out of 10.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:20 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy