Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #11191
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
Did you just movie hop? I've always wanted to just spend a whole day at the theaters watching many movies but only buying one ticket.

No. I use the theater all the time, so it wouldn't be worth getting banned. The theater I go to has $5 Tuesdays anyway, so I only spent $15 and saw 3 movies. I view movie hopping the same way I view stealing: If it isn't worth the money, it isn't worth stealing either.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #11192
ukplayer4
NBA rookie of the year

was entirely unsatisfactory as a bourne film. there was nothing even remotely bourne about it, lost everything that made bourne bourne. even narratively it was completely unnecessary to tie it to the bourne franchise. had it not been cash cowed to this franchise it would have been an acceptable generic, glossy studio action film(read- none of the grit or realism of bourne). as a bourne film it is a complete and utter failure.

6/10
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #11193
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I friggin' loved The Cabin in the Woods. It's an 8/10 and tempted to bump it up to a 9/10 on the basis that it keeps getting better in my mind and I want to watch it again.

It basically hit every note I was hoping it would. It was funny, gory, and satirized the modern horror movie almost perfectly. I was worried for a second that the ending would cheapen the rest of the movie and then my faith was restored with an awesome ending. Oh, and it had a unicorn. The Buffy/Angel feel to the movie was obvious with Whedon/Goddard. If you take the movie at face value, it probably won't resonate as much for you. If you view it keeping in mind recent horror movies and cliches, it becomes one of the best movies of the year so far, IMO.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #11194
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I friggin' loved The Cabin in the Woods. It's an 8/10 and tempted to bump it up to a 9/10 on the basis that it keeps getting better in my mind and I want to watch it again.

It basically hit every note I was hoping it would. It was funny, gory, and satirized the modern horror movie almost perfectly. I was worried for a second that the ending would cheapen the rest of the movie and then my faith was restored with an awesome ending. Oh, and it had a unicorn. The Buffy/Angel feel to the movie was obvious with Whedon/Goddard. If you take the movie at face value, it probably won't resonate as much for you. If you view it keeping in mind recent horror movies and cliches, it becomes one of the best movies of the year so far, IMO.

I second this. Watched it today and loved it. Best horror movie I've watched since Dale and Tucker.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #11195
ukplayer4
NBA rookie of the year

ive been looking forward to cabin in the woods for ages, feels like it was out a long time ago and still a month to wait for it to come online!!!!
a hd version came online yesterday but has hardcoded korean subs, im tempted....
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #11196
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
ive been looking forward to cabin in the woods for ages, feels like it was out a long time ago and still a month to wait for it to come online!!!!
a hd version came online yesterday but has hardcoded korean subs, im tempted....

Do it. I watched it and it was perfectly fine. Audio\Video are great and the subs you stop noticing like 5 minutes in. I don't read Korean so they just looked like little lines, didn't ruin it for me at all.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #11197
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I can't wait to see Cabin in the Woods on DVD, and I already saw it in theaters. 8.5/10 for me. 9?
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 AM   #11198
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

The Iron Giant: 8.5/10- I watched this with the kids at work today. I took a risk and put on a movie that I liked instead of one I thought they might focus in to.

And boy was it the right move. Not only because I got to enjoy this gem again, but also because they got sucked in harder than any other movie we've ever watched.

This movie was brilliant. Part sci-fi thriller, part atomic age satire, part anti-violence, part heart warming boy and friend story.

Everything, from it's interesting art style, to it's heart tugging moments such as the one in white: I played a game in my head where I guesses how many of my students would cry when the Giant flies off to save the town by blowing up the bomb and says: "Suuuperman" as he does it and then closes his eyes. I guessed 5. I was way short. This movie is truly, imo, a great film.

I need to find this for my own collection. Really it's a movie I will show my own kids, and my grand kids.

If you haven't seen it, I recommend you do, and if you haven't seen it in a while you should dig it out and pop it in and get ready to remember why you fell in love with it the first time.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #11199
SilkkTheShocker
LeBron = G.O.A.T.

The Campaign - 7

Saw it last night and it was underwhelming. There were some pretty funny parts but not as many laughs as you would think. Moved a little slow in the beginning.

Last edited by SilkkTheShocker : 08-16-2012 at 11:52 AM.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #11200
irondarts

7/10

I thought this was a very good film, albeit an extremely sad film.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #11201
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Bourne Legacy: 7/10

Some very good parts but something was off making it a 7 instead of an 8. Couldn't put my thumb on what it was, just some far fetched stuff maybe, hard to say. Potential for good sequels though, and maybe one with both Renner and Damon.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #11202
blacknapalm
spider 3 y banana

7.25/10

based on a true story, otherwise known as the 'bodies in barrels' murder. decent yet depressing/disturbing.

only thing holding it back from an 8 or 9 rating is the acting. outside of henshall, i thought the acting was somewhat deadpan and bland. henshall was great in the fact that he could make you hate his manipulative, even almost bigoted ways without even doing much. powerful though overall and pittaway wasn't a bad actor....just thought that role needed something a little more though he did have his moments.

i almost want to give this a better rating but the other thing that bugged me was that characters were not well developed at all. i'm not talking about depth...even the basics are barely covered or not covered at all. a couple characters come in and out of the movie and are never seen again. there's also a couple scenes where you just say, 'who the fvck are these folks?'...it just didn't' really do a good job of setting the table and presenting different characters.

there's two scenes that were quite disturbing imo. need to watch some more uplifting films since i've been mainly watching dark, depressing ones.

i'd really like to get an australian's view on this. how big of a news story was this in australia? i mean, bunting is basically the most prolific serial killer in australian history. is this portion of south australia really as 'white trash' as this movie depicted? are pedophiles that looked down upon? don't get me wrong, the same stuff happens in the usa. i always said the criminals who will suffer the most abuse in jail are pedos and animal abusers. how much news surrounded this movie? those that saw it.....how accurate was it overall?

i definitely plan on reading up more on this case. the last time i bit into a case hard was the west memphis three murders, but this one seems a little more clear cut.

EDIT: got damn, this story is brutal. basically the guy just killed mostly mentally and physically disabled people

spoilers in white: first person killed? troy or guy in trailer or other guy family knew? i have a feeling it was the guy in the trailer but i was never totally sure.

killing of the dog sucked. not to say the other stuff wasn't worse obviously but was that what really happened?

a couple murders weren't depicted, notably fred brooks and gavin porter

in all, counted four murders but in reading the bit i have on the murders, jamie was far more involved. in the movie, they just made him seem complicit and an accomplice but by my count...he was only directly involved in one murder and that was with his half brother, troy. even then, the movie made it seem like he was trying to end his torture because they just kept choking him, letting him catch his breath and then choke him again.

the movie also didn't pick up on hurley's involvement. minor detail but when you're basing a movie off a true story, it doesn't help. this is only after minor research.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 08-17-2012 at 08:15 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #11203
jbot
Future D1 Dad

40 Minutes of Hell. 8/10. documentary about nolan richardson's time at arkansas and his championship. i love watching baskeball docs.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #11204
1987_Lakers
Very good NBA starter

The Devil's Double

8/10

For those who have seen the movie is the the real life double of Uday Hussein.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB8Mt0m60jg
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #11205
blacknapalm
spider 3 y banana

7.5/10
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: