Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #11221
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

The Cabin In The Woods: 7.5/10: What did I just watch? Very weird movie but I enjoyed it. I was expecting a horror movie though.

The Bourne Legacy: 7/10: Solid movie, nothing more. Rachel Weisz was really hot though.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #11222
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Plus the ability to fight in that many grueling fights in one night. I didn't buy the MMA at all. It was a solid movie but mostly on the strength of the Hardy-Nolte stuff.

They actually used to do that in the early days of UFC. The glory days if you ask me.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #11223
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
They actually used to do that in the early days of UFC. The glory days if you ask me.
I don't think anyone ever came close to fighting so many tough fights in one night like in the movie. I remember Gracie had to pull out once because his 1st round match took too much out of him. Not only that, I doubt any organization would allow a fighter to do that. The MMA was pumped up to almost cartoon levels in this movie. At least when it came to the big tournament.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #11224
blacknapalm
spider 3 y banana

Quote:
I don't think anyone ever came close to fighting so many tough fights in one night like in the movie. I remember Gracie had to pull out once because his 1st round match took too much out of him. Not only that, I doubt any organization would allow a fighter to do that. The MMA was pumped up to almost cartoon levels in this movie. At least when it came to the big tournament.

ya, i kind of agree. still, pretty good movie. of course, hollywood is going to do their thing and dramatize it and add some over the top elements. i did like the acting and family dynamic but the plot details did bother me a bit.

i actually preferred 'the wrestler' more.
blacknapalm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:37 AM   #11225
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
Finally...
Thanks for the heads up.

i would recommend just skipping to the end battle, movie's boring as hell imho
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #11226
SourPatchKids
Banned

Ken Park
2/10 for the heterosexual sex scenes.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #11227
D-Wade316
F***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP

The Iron Giant: 8.5/10- I watched this with the kids at work today. I took a risk and put on a movie that I liked instead of one I thought they might focus in to.

And boy was it the right move. Not only because I got to enjoy this gem again, but also because they got sucked in harder than any other movie we've ever watched.

This movie was brilliant. Part sci-fi thriller, part atomic age satire, part anti-violence, part heart warming boy and friend story.

Everything, from it's interesting art style, to it's heart tugging moments such as the one in white: I played a game in my head where I guesses how many of my students would cry when the Giant flies off to save the town by blowing up the bomb and says: "Suuuperman" as he does it and then closes his eyes. I guessed 5. I was way short. This movie is truly, imo, a great film.

I need to find this for my own collection. Really it's a movie I will show my own kids, and my grand kids.

If you haven't seen it, I recommend you do, and if you haven't seen it in a while you should dig it out and pop it in and get ready to remember why you fell in love with it the first time.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #11228
bluechox2
#knickstape

the tall man 7/10

pretty weird story, but enjoyable
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #11229
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP

The Iron Giant: 8.5/10- I watched this with the kids at work today. I took a risk and put on a movie that I liked instead of one I thought they might focus in to.

And boy was it the right move. Not only because I got to enjoy this gem again, but also because they got sucked in harder than any other movie we've ever watched.

This movie was brilliant. Part sci-fi thriller, part atomic age satire, part anti-violence, part heart warming boy and friend story.

Everything, from it's interesting art style, to it's heart tugging moments such as the one in white: I played a game in my head where I guesses how many of my students would cry when the Giant flies off to save the town by blowing up the bomb and says: "Suuuperman" as he does it and then closes his eyes. I guessed 5. I was way short. This movie is truly, imo, a great film.

I need to find this for my own collection. Really it's a movie I will show my own kids, and my grand kids.

If you haven't seen it, I recommend you do, and if you haven't seen it in a while you should dig it out and pop it in and get ready to remember why you fell in love with it the first time.

You a teacher, Timmy D? If yeah, then respect levels just got way up, man. Imma keep in this in mind when I finally get into the classroom in a couple of years.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #11230
blacknapalm
spider 3 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade316

ya, was going to comment on that too. loved iron giant. gonna put it on my short list of movies to rewatch soon. if they ever make a remake, they better do it right. so i guess i third this sentiment, haha
blacknapalm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #11231
pauk
NBA Legend

WARRIOR - 6 / 10

I kindof agree with what Knickballer said upstairs...

I am a big fan of martial arts and have been there carefully following MMA/UFC since day 1 in the 90s... but this movie is overrated like hell... it is well written & directed, but meh...

BATTLESHIP - 7 / 10

I really do like these sci-fi/fantasy popcorn movies from time to time, you just shut down your brain and chill.. if you take the movie for what it is, you will enjoy it...
The movie could have been sooooo much more though... oh well

JOHN CARTER - 8 / 10

Liked it! Its kindof like Avatar meets Star Wars or something like that, decent plot and effects

Last edited by pauk : 08-19-2012 at 11:35 AM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #11232
Myth

Quote:

UFC did 3 fights in one night. In the movie, they did 2 fights, 2 nights in a row. It really isn't that much of a stretch.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #11233
Myth

Vengeance 7.5/10
Old 08-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #11234
D-Rose

The Silence of the Lambs - 8.5/10. The first half of the moved a little slow, but the last hour really picked up. Lecter is one sick mofo, one of the most sadistic and twisted characters I've ever seen. The final 10 minutes or so of the film were very tense, really such a masterpiece.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #11235
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
You a teacher, Timmy D? If yeah, then respect levels just got way up, man. Imma keep in this in mind when I finally get into the classroom in a couple of years.

I do not teach as of yet. That is my goal, but I'm still in school.

I am a leader at an after school program for elementary students. It's a fun ass job. A lot of responsibility, a lot of work (doing homework is like pulling teeth with this set), but at the end of the day I couldn't picture holding down a normal 22 year guy's old job anymore.

It's great to hear other people aspiring to work education. It's a field that I believe needs a lot of very smart, very enthusiastic people to right the ship. Mad props.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: