Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #11236
Dasher
NBA Superstar
 
Dasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,462
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Perhaps that's just a bad way to experience a film unless you are a producer or director.
For me its the best way. I have found that it elevates the viewing experience. You see the director's vision, actors audibles, and editors influence clearer.

Editing out Hildi's backstory removed the emotional heft from the movie. Django's transformation from a slave who was so meek, to a badass of McClainian proportions was left on the cutting room floor. As was the best scenes that explained why Stephen really hated Django so much.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #11237
ZeN
Stormblessed
 
ZeN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Roshar
Posts: 24,895
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
For me its the best way. I have found that it elevates the viewing experience. You see the director's vision, actors audibles, and editors influence clearer.

Editing out Hildi's backstory removed the emotional heft from the movie. Django's transformation from a slave who was so meek, to a badass of McClainian proportions was left on the cutting room floor. As was the best scenes that explained why Stephen really hated Django so much.
Ive always felt that QT would make an outstanding novelist.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #11238
Dasher
NBA Superstar
 
Dasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,462
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Ive always felt that QT would make an outstanding novelist.
Django was 178 pages long. It might as well have been a novel.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #11239
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude
 
KevinNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,730
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
For me its the best way. I have found that it elevates the viewing experience. You see the director's vision, actors audibles, and editors influence clearer.

Editing out Hildi's backstory removed the emotional heft from the movie. Django's transformation from a slave who was so meek, to a badass of McClainian proportions was left on the cutting room floor. As was the best scenes that explained why Stephen really hated Django so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
I felt the same way when I read Inglorious Basterds' script months before it came out on screen. Maybe not blown away, but it definitely had a lot of extra great dialog and a lot of extra scenes that would have been cool to have watched.

You're not experiencing the film as itself that way. You're less likely to be fully transported by the story, if you
A. know where it's going.
B. are worried about what got cut out of the script.

It seems like you're watching the movie to watch the filmmaking and not the film.

When you talk about what gets cut out of the movie, ask yourself why they cut it out. It could be keeping that stuff in, whether it's great dialogue or a fuller backstory would actually make the film worse. And there's lots of ways this could happen. It could

A. Make the film too long.
B. Make the film too slow
C. Throw off the rythym of the movie.
D. Make some scenes redundant, because the audience can get information in other places.

A lot of stuff gets cut out a movie, because it simply doesn't work.

Lots of times, writing out something like a fuller backstory is helpful for the writer to figure out the story and for the actors to appreciate the character, but doesn't need to be part of the final story.

You're going to be prejudging the movie itself, by knowing the script. I think reading the script after a first viewing and then watching the movie again would be more rewarding in terms of looking at the filmmaking. Also seeing the movie first might make you think parts of the script were unnecessary.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #11240
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude
 
KevinNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,730
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Saw Zero Dark Thirty.

An odd movie, more downbeat than you would expect. Reminded me of Coppola's The Conversation.... about a lonely professional doing her job without joy. You would think it would have an uplifting ending but no.

Parts are great, pacing is so strange. Jumps years and years and chooses to dwell on certain moments in an almost naturalistic way. Also it's basically a needle in the haystack movie, and the beginning does not really do a good job about showing the haystack, it feels like the whole movie is seen through hindsight. Lots of context is just missing. Once they narrow down the haystack to about 2009, the movie really picks up. Also it was rumored to a be a pro Obama propaganda movie when it was set for release around 9/11, but it's anything but that at all. Politics is almost entirely absent from this movie as is the IRaq War
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #11241
ZeN
Stormblessed
 
ZeN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Roshar
Posts: 24,895
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
You're not experiencing the film as itself that way. You're less likely to be fully transported by the story, if you
A. know where it's going.
B. are worried about what got cut out of the script.

It seems like you're watching the movie to watch the filmmaking and not the film.

When you talk about what gets cut out of the movie, ask yourself why they cut it out. It could be keeping that stuff in, whether it's great dialogue or a fuller backstory would actually make the film worse. And there's lots of ways this could happen. It could

A. Make the film too long.
B. Make the film too slow
C. Throw off the rythym of the movie.
D. Make some scenes redundant, because the audience can get information in other places.

A lot of stuff gets cut out a movie, because it simply doesn't work.

Lots of times, writing out something like a fuller backstory is helpful for the writer to figure out the story and for the actors to appreciate the character, but doesn't need to be part of the final story.

You're going to be prejudging the movie itself, by knowing the script. I think reading the script after a first viewing and then watching the movie again would be more rewarding in terms of looking at the filmmaking. Also seeing the movie first might make you think parts of the script were unnecessary.
None of what you say is wrong. Sure all that has to be taken under consideration. However, to only look at it that way.. it would be, a narrow-minded view.. If foreknowledge is a problem.. then why are there so many films that are re-watchable? Why are they not spoiled by knowing already what will happen? Its because there are so many things involved when watching and experiencing and analyzing a film.

More important than anything is attitude and expectation.. those two things are usually the biggest deterrence when it comes to enjoying a film that holds merit.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #11242
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 19,582
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Saw Zero Dark Thirty.

Where'd you catch it?

Finally caught Oldboy after it being in my netflix que forever.



8.2/10

What a f*cked up, well-directed, entertaining flick

Don't want to get into any specifics because it will ruin it for anyone here who hasn't seen it. So I'll just say this- I don't see the need for a remake but since Spike Lee is already in post production with this, I hope they don't water down the story and content to appease the mainstream audiences. Lee called his version a 'reinterpretation' of the story, which probably means they cut the original's balls off and repackaged it with American actors. But we'll see, maybe I'll be surprised.

Also caught In the Name of the Father.



8/10

Daniel Day Lewis was Daniel Day Lewis as usual. Pete Postlethwaite was great as Giuseppe. Not much more to say, really solid flick.
DonDadda59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #11243
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude
 
KevinNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,730
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Where'd you catch it?

Finally caught Oldboy after it being in my netflix que forever.



8.2/10

What a f*cked up, well-directed, entertaining flick

Don't want to get into any specifics because it will ruin it for anyone here who hasn't seen it. So I'll just say this- I don't see the need for a remake but since Spike Lee is already in post production with this, I hope they don't water down the story and content to appease the mainstream audiences. Lee called his version a 'reinterpretation' of the story, which probably means they cut the original's balls off and repackaged it with American actors. But we'll see, maybe I'll be surprised.

Also caught In the Name of the Father.



8/10

Daniel Day Lewis was Daniel Day Lewis as usual. Pete Postlethwaite was great as Giuseppe. Not much more to say, really solid flick.
Love In The Name of the father. Great movie--very affecting; might be because I'm Irish, that movie always gets to me.
ZD30 is only playing like 5 theaters in the Country right now, it opens wide jan 5th. It's just playing ny and la, so it can qualify for the Oscars. Saw it in the east village.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 PM   #11244
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa
 
Loneshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: 3rd Rock
Posts: 3,259
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

John Dies At the End - 8/10

Just a fun movie from start til end. Can't wait to watch it again while lit, it must be even better then.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #11245
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer
 
AboveTheRim.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 566
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
John Dies At the End - 8/10

Just a fun movie from start til end. Can't wait to watch it again while lit, it must be even better then.

Looked at IMDB. Will watch, sounds intriguing.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:49 PM   #11246
TheeBeast
Local High School Star
 
TheeBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,290
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Killing Them Softly: 7/10
TheeBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #11247
RoseCity07
NBA Legend
 
RoseCity07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portland
Posts: 17,231
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Up- 9/10

I can't believe it took me so long to see this. There is something about the first 10 minutes or so but I couldn't hold back tears. I haven't shed tears like that in a while.

Not the best story ever told by any means but there are some nice bits of dialogue in the film. Disney is starting to get their stuff together. I wish the score was a bit better but it didn't make it any less entertaining.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #11248
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,592
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Love In The Name of the father. Great movie--very affecting; might be because I'm Irish, that movie always gets to me.
ZD30 is only playing like 5 theaters in the Country right now, it opens wide jan 5th. It's just playing ny and la, so it can qualify for the Oscars. Saw it in the east village.


I almost drove to the city myself to see it last weekend. I decided to hold out until next week.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #11249
Kobe681
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 498
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
For me its the best way. I have found that it elevates the viewing experience. You see the director's vision, actors audibles, and editors influence clearer.

Editing out Hildi's backstory removed the emotional heft from the movie. Django's transformation from a slave who was so meek, to a badass of McClainian proportions was left on the cutting room floor. As was the best scenes that explained why Stephen really hated Django so much.

Watched the movie yesterday, I thought it was great.

Can you please fill me in on those bolded parts? Would be fun to know what was left out.
Kobe681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #11250
Dasher
NBA Superstar
 
Dasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,462
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe681
Watched the movie yesterday, I thought it was great.

Can you please fill me in on those bolded parts? Would be fun to know what was left out.

Here's the official script to Django: http://twcguilds.com/assets/screenpl...screenplay.pdf

During the scene where Django was beaten by the Brittle brothers, Django was making love to his wife. The Brittle Bros. pulled him out/off of his wife and raped her. Django was forced to watch her get raped and beaten.

Hildi's story was a bit on the brutal side. She was sold to a family who wanted to use her as a stand-in wife type figure for their son. Hildi through force of will and guile manipulated her way to a power position in that particular relationship. Everything was going swimmingly until her Boyfriend/Master took her on a night on the town to Greenville, Mississippi to the Cleopatra Club where Candie conned her Boyfriend/Master to losing Hildi in a card game. When the B/M tried to beg his way out of the losing Hildi he was killed by Candie. A naked Hildi tried to run, but was dragged a way kicking and screaming.

After the shootout, Hildi was raped by the fella who fondled Django's balls while he was tied upside down.

Django privately humiliated Stephen. He smacked him around, doused him with a bucket of water, and while Stephen was cowering, Django told him that Stephen was his n*gger now, and would answer to his beck and call at any time.

Without Hildi's scenes Django Unchained is just a boy saves princess movie set in the south.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:25 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy