Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #11311
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

The Faculty 7.5/10
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #11312
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
I agree with you.

But my main issue was the 'look' of the film. I wouldn't mind campy if it's done properly and I have faith in Joss, but I simply couldn't get past the 'look'. Maybe it was a bad 720p rip dunno. I'll wait for a better quality version of the film. I did state that I may change my opinion, which meant that it wasn't my final one.

But what if a movie is just really crappy from the get go? are you gonna stay and watch the entire film? I've stopped watching many shows and films because the writing and acting was just that bad. I'm not being a snob about it, since I've seen 2012 a billion times, but some films just suck and don't hold any interest for me to keep watching.

I understand the concept of stopping a movie you hate from the get go. Though, I completely disagree with your comparison of the visuals to a Sci Fi channel original. I'd like to know what Sci Fi channel movies you have seen, because I have never seen a movie from that channel with anything even close to the visuals of The Avengers.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #11313
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
If you watch it in its entirety and find it displeasing, its all good. Maybe it really won't fit your taste. That would just be what it be.

However, a couple things you mentioned:

You just said you trust Joss but by your actions you proved otherwise.. If you had really trusted him, you would have given him the benefit of the doubt and watched more than simply a fifth of the movie.

The look part, I guess could just be preference. However, the 'look' does change throughout the movie and becomes a lot less Michael Bay-ish.. Im guessing that your basing a lot of your opinion on that initial frenetic shooting scene with Loki/Haweye and Fury.. If that's so, you dont really have an idea of where the visuals are going. Although it is immensely CGI driven.. But with the comic book elements it employs there's really no getting around that.

You mention that it doesn't look like a blockbuster, yet had you seen the remaining two hours, you most surely would have come to see where it was spent. You literally saw but a prelude scene that was necessary plot info.. That start is a very bad sample for what the movie is as a whole. Im not saying youll end up loving the CGI visuals but viewing it all will give you a different perspective. The movie is filled with humor.. But you could never guess that by merely watching the sample that you did.

No… by 'look' I mean how it actually appears.

You know how those straight to dvd films and SciFy network films look at times? Not really the CGI themselves, but the film itself. It looked like a working print… that's what I'm trying to say (couldn't come up with the words). But by looking at the trailer, it wasn't a working print, because that's how the trailers looked.

But again… I may have a bad rip dunno. I still didn't like the acting, but you're right, it may get better.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #11314
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I understand the concept of stopping a movie you hate from the get go. Though, I completely disagree with your comparison of the visuals to a Sci Fi channel original. I'd like to know what Sci Fi channel movies you have seen, because I have never seen a movie from that channel with anything even close to the visuals of The Avengers.

What I meant is, it looked like a 'working print' in regards to the 'look'.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #11315
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
What I meant is, it looked like a 'working print' in regards to the 'look'.

Hmmm..... I still don't see it.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #11316
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

I knew I wasn't the only one, I remember even some posters here complained about the 'look':

Quote:
My first complaint would be the Cinematography. It certainly wasn't the worst I've seen (the last 20 minutes of "2012") It wasn't any Wally Pfister or Amir Mokri. I really felt like I was watching a T.V. movie, which we were warned about before hand, I didn't think it would really "look like a T.V. movie."
Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...QH8OpKwYpxE.99

Quote:
The word "cheap" is often cynically thrown around on message boards and comment pages when it comes to writer/director Joss Whedon's look for "The Avengers." Sure, the shack Ruffalo enters in the movie's trailer does look exactly like something built on a soundstage rather than a legitimate building in whatever South American country it is supposed to be in, and yes, every room on the S.H.I.E.L.D. base or helicarrier looks a little dull and gray. Still, avid fans of the Marvel comic book may be willing to overlook a few things and forgive others, but what is tough for anyone to swallow is Captain America's new costume

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...ngers-20120406

this is a movie still:

I know it's something small to some of you, but this shit just annoyed me.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #11317
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

i think i can sort of see where you're coming from. that still makes it seem a little 'muddy' and something seems off about the depth of it all, almost like they were cut and pasted into the scene.

i also agree with the captain america thing. i loved his costume in 'captain america:...' but the avengers one just seemed tacky and way too rubbery. this was one of my minor gripes with the movie i voiced early on. overall, i enjoyed it a lot though and none of those visual 'artifacts' really detracted from my theater experience.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #11318
Lebronn23
I airball my layups

The Lion King 10/10
Lebronn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #11319
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
i think i can sort of see where you're coming from. that still makes it seem a little 'muddy' and something seems off about the depth of it all, almost like they were cut and pasted into the scene.

i also agree with the captain america thing. i loved his costume in 'captain america:...' but the avengers one just seemed tacky and way too rubbery. this was one of my minor gripes with the movie i voiced early on. overall, i enjoyed it a lot though and none of those visual 'artifacts' really detracted from my theater experience.

Not really that it looks "muddy", it just looks like a raw film that hasn't been processed.

I know it's a minor gripe, but it irked me. I'm picky about certain shit at times.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #11320
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm

i also agree with the captain america thing. i loved his costume in 'captain america:...' but the avengers one just seemed tacky and way too rubbery.

Yeah, the suit was pretty awesome in his solo movie. Kind of rugged looking.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:18 AM   #11321
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Yeah, the suit was pretty awesome in his solo movie. Kind of rugged looking.

indeed. just looked like a utilitarian, workforce one which is more true to his comic look:

i don't know why they switched to that rubbery look. he looked too much look like a stiff action figure in it
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #11322
BigMic
Can barely lace up my sneakers

The Avengers 4/10 (I'm nice)

A boring story that we know the end before to see it. This fu**ing Iron Man would have at least died. Fu**ing happy end. A perfect american blockbuster full of sh*t where Johansson and Smulders don't strictly do anything. Just a few fun parts with R Downey Jr
BigMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #11323
FatComputerNerd
Decent college freshman

Quote:
The Faculty 7.5/10

That was the one w/ "Agent Doggit" in it, right?

I remember enjoying it when I saw it a decade or so ago.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #11324
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Alien (1979)

They just don't make scary like they used to. This movie had me jumping all over the place. Sure its old and may not have the benefit of CGI, but that seem to only make it better. One major gripe i have about horror/scary movies today is they look too damn clean. Hard to be scared of clean.

8/10
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #11325
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

Warrior: 8/10

SPOILERS:

I thought it was great but Brendan's success was ridiculous. Firstly how did he even make the tournament after training for such a little amount of time? Then when he did get in he beats everyone. I understand the first 2 guys but when he beat Koba I thought this is starting to get stupid. Then he beats Tommy and the movie really went down for me. I saw it coming all the way but please make it a little realistic. I wanted to see more of Tommy throughout the movie and I wanted Tommy to knock Brendan the *** out. Everyone is supposed to be happy at the end but Tommy has just been beaten up badly by his brother, probably has a broken arm, is about to go to jail and has no money to send to his army "brother's" family. Awful final 10 minutes for me.

Last edited by B-Easy8 : 08-24-2012 at 01:19 PM.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: