Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #11386
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Other than being Andy Duphrain, Tim Robbins is probably best known as know nothing know it all young punk pitching phenom Nook Laloosh in Bull Durham, where he learns the ropes of baseball and love from grisselled catching veteran Kevin Costner.
After that it's probably for marrying his other Bull Durham Co-Star, Susan Sarranden, who's appeal has always struck me as a little overblown, and together they were famous for a little while for being social activist blowhards to a degree.
The next thing that pops to mind to me is his maguffin role in Mystic River, which was memorable even though I found him a tad annoying.
He's also considered funny, with a few memorable SnL moments to his credit, although none that come to mind at the moment.
I remember him cashing in on his Nook Laloosh character with a similar goofball character next to Robin Williams at his manic comic peak in Cadillac Man.
And I remember him in The Hudsucker Proxy, but that's mostly because I'm a Cohen Bros. fan.

Looking at that, it's actually a little weird he's as famous as I percieve him to be.
Don't forget his role in Jacob's Ladder. Not sure why this film is so overlooked by so many.

Arlington Road was also worth watching.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #11387
ZeN
Stormblessed

The Avengers - 8.9/10
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #11388
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Quote:
Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Just a bizarre, stunningly beautifull film. In all honestly, I'm not entirely sure how to even grade it. It's really all over the place, and it does so many things well, it's hard to fully explain where the weaknesses are, although I think it's major flaw is it's touches on so much none of it seems complete.

The world they dump you in, The Bathtub, would've been fine for me to simply be dropped in and explored. Along with it's mish mosh of fringe society people, who are one of the problems with the thing, because none of them are given any real due at all. Other than the two main characters obviously. The entire environment is film worthy in and of itself.

And the mythology, which probably isn't the right word, perhaps philosophy, of the movie, is another thing that's really sort skimmed across in a way that's hard to explain. It's more in the tone of the thing, and it allows for the visceral effects element to sort of exist in such a minimal way without feeling rediculous.

And then there's the melodrama. Both the little girl and the father are excellent. It's a really touching, moving story, and it did in fact seem that my allergies were acting up toward the end of the movie.

I'm not entirely sure what I think as a whole other than that I really liked it, it was pretty to look at, and it was actively emotional. Then again I haven't eaten in over 28 hours and I'm operating on 5 hours sleep.

But I'd score it somewhere in the mid 80s. Not quite the Oscar worthy piece I've heard some describe it is, but certainly worth seeing and an incredibly noble endevour by it's creators.

And for whatever it's worth, my new desktop for a little while.

http://kpbs.media.clients.ellingtonc...8 a6025dcea0e

How sad is this movie? My wife who is touchy about these things, thinks it will just make her think about Hurricane Katrina too much. She used to go to New Orleans on business and heard some horror stories.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #11389
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4

equal parts malick and herzhog with magic realism? as i am led to believe by the trailer?

this is why it is top 3 most anticipated films of the year for me. and i almost never get excited by content.

There is a lot of Malick influence in there, particularly in the first act. It's got a voiceover narrative from the main character who is actually on screen, but it's there to sort of narrate her thoughts, that almost immediately brought to mind Tree of Life. Very similar handy cam work.
And it's near documentary peak taken toward this small culture I guess could be viewed as Herzog-ish.
It just handle's the philosophical stuff it's dealing with better. The actual Beasts are metaphorical in a way that I know Herzog wouldn't do, and a way that seems too accessible for Malick.

I really think my hesitation about it being truely great is that I actually wanted more, which is a good problem to have. I wanted more of gritty look at the community, more Herzog really, and more of the heavy handed symbolism at the same time.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #11390
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
How sad is this movie? My wife who is touchy about these things, thinks it will just make her think about Hurricane Katrina too much. She used to go to New Orleans on business and heard some horror stories.

It's pretty brutally sad. They never actually say it's New Orleans. They even show a map, a school teacher to the kids, and I couldn't make out New Orleans. And while Katrina is obviously an influence, that's only part of what makes it so sad. The wiping out of this unique, little culture, and it's clawing for survival is a huge part of it, but moreso it's the relationship between the father and his daughter that's so tough to handle. Both actors were remarkable, particularly considering neither is really an actor ... yet. But the girl, Hushpuppy, in particular, does some pretty incredible work, and is asked to do quite a lot, including a bit of narration. She comes across as tougher than could be imagined being in that culture, yet so childlike at other times. I can totally see both of them getting Oscar noms.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #11391
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
There is a lot of Malick influence in there, particularly in the first act. It's got a voiceover narrative from the main character who is actually on screen, but it's there to sort of narrate her thoughts, that almost immediately brought to mind Tree of Life. Very similar handy cam work.
And it's near documentary peak taken toward this small culture I guess could be viewed as Herzog-ish.
It just handle's the philosophical stuff it's dealing with better. The actual Beasts are metaphorical in a way that I know Herzog wouldn't do, and a way that seems too accessible for Malick.

I really think my hesitation about it being truely great is that I actually wanted more, which is a good problem to have. I wanted more of gritty look at the community, more Herzog really, and more of the heavy handed symbolism at the same time.

thanks. im gonna love it im sure. sounds great.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #11392
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!

Safe House - 8/10
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #11393
Thorpesaurous

And when I got home last night, after Beasts and dinner, we were sifting through On Demand and found Attack The Block, which I knew about mainly from here.

That was a lot of fun. And it really was the monster movie version of what Shaun of the Dead was. A lot more action and a little lighter on the comedy, but there was certainly a lot of influence, more than just the inclusion of the fat guy.
And the monsters were some of the more creative I've seen in a while. Excellently put together CGI on the beasts. And the slow motion chase toward the end was exquisitely assembled. Very enjoyable. High 70s for me.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #11394
Draz
The People's Choice

The pocesion - 4/10 fingered my date throughout the movie but it sucked, movie was horrible. Not sure if this is how I spell it iPads autotxt messed it up.

Snow white and the huntsman - 8.5/10 watched it with my fam last night it was amazing. I enjoyed it a lot, we all did. Fantastic acting by cast, just didn't know snow white story was so interesting. Camera effects were greeatttt. I recommend.
Draz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #11395
irondarts

Anyone else seen the trailer for that new movie Looper ? Is it just me or does it look like one of the worst/stupidest movies ever made ?
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #11396
senelcoolidge
NBA lottery pick

Conan The Barbarian (2011)
Surprisingly good. I could not stop watching it. There were a couple things that bothered me towards the end..this was probably done due to time constraints. But it was very action packed, very ugly, gritty, gory, but yet entertaining. The sets were nice. Too bad there won't be any sequels since it bombed in the box office.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #11397
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
Safe House - 8/10

gtfoutta here, I couldn't even finish the second half
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #11398
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
Anyone else seen the trailer for that new movie Looper ? Is it just me or does it look like one of the worst/stupidest movies ever made ?

It doesn't look great, but nowhere near worst/stupidest movie ever.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #11399
Dasher
NBA Superstar

"Beast of the Southern Wild" wasn't sad at all to me. Mostly because of the bravery of Da Gawd Hushpuppy.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #11400
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts

not gonna lie, I'm going to have to download it someday

coming from a guy with adhd
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: