Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #11461
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Immortals: 3/10- Sometimes I do not understand how people get made millions of dollars, to make a movie with a budget of hundreds of millions of dollars, yet produce shit like this.

And oh... it is shit. No bones about it. All the visual tricks in the world can't save a movie if it has nothing of substance. Whoever wrote the script probably couldn't be fired anyway since they are seemingly in 6th grade.

The bad guy is a bad guy because his family died and felt like the Gods had deserted him because of "God of War was a fun game..." said every writer on this movie. The plot feels like they had a bunch of different movies and mind and went: "fuck it, we'll just smash them all together."

The final battle is very entertaining, but it shouldn't take an hour and a half to get there. This movie could have been good if someone decided to cut out all the wandering of the plot, and maybe add an extra fight scene or two. Instead they pretend like we're gonna care why they fight.

Oh one personal little gripe: the Titans are so wrong in this movie. Portrayed as little savage like animal man-things. They are supposed to be greater than even the Gods themselves, hence why the Gods fear them.

This brings me to another point. How is it that such a rich source of material has been so difficult for the modern film maker to do successfully? Hercules, the Disney movie, has been the best classic Greek mythology movie since the old movies with the animated monsters. Why is so hard for the technologically advanced creators to come up with a good film? Shit they were even given a modernized version already written as source material and the butchered it! (The Lightning Thief). Kinda boggles my mind.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #11462
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
Snatch is one of my all time faves and I love Lock Stock too. Watch RocknRolla if you haven't, good Guy Ritchie movie as well.

Yeah, that is fun too, but definitely a tier below both the other movies. Revolver is unfortunately significantly worse. I wish Ritchie stopped the Holmes movies and went back to those style of movies.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #11463
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Yeah, that is fun too, but definitely a tier below both the other movies. Revolver is unfortunately significantly worse. I wish Ritchie stopped the Holmes movies and went back to those style of movies.
Yep, it's lower tier, no doubt about it, but still entertaining tho. I dig those Sherlock movies, but his style definately works better with his older work.

And recommendation for people who like Sherlock Holmes. Watch new BBC mini series, i think it has 6 episodes (hour and a half episodes) , placed in modern age and actors are teriffic. Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays Sherlock will be main villain in Hobbit series, new Star Trek and new James Bond. Watson is great too, and they have great chemistry. Series imdb rating is over 9.
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #11464
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP

Snatch: 8.5/10- I absolutely love heist movies. Especially swash buckling, topsy turvy, convoluted ones. So why it took me until tonight to finally see Snatch I have no idea.

And damn was it worth the wait. I loved this movie. It took a minute to seet up but once it did it was off to the races with very entertaining, and crazy situations. I like how it worked out all the characters, I liked the circumstance, the black crew had me rollin... it was great.

I still have on my list the Italian Job, but that's not on Netflix. In fact neither is Ocean's 11, or any other movies like it. I may watch The Good, The Bad, The Weird, but I don't think it's in the same vein as those movies.

Anyway, I liked the first Oceans better, but this is as good a comedy heist movie you'll want to see.

Saw Snatch a week ago after not seeing it for a few years, what a fun flick. Over the top, but without overdoing it. Great mixture of comedy and crime drama/heist.

And since a lot have covered Looper already, I'll just say that I thought the kid who played the Rain Maker was great. It's rare to see a child actor with that kind of ability and range. You can tell he is extremely intelligent and perceptive. His performance is pretty much what I imagined a young Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader would've been had it not been for the hack George Lucas running the show with the prequel.

Found this bit from the director:

“I remember, at some point I gave him a piece of ‘little kid’ direction,” Johnson continues. “I said, ‘Now make a sad face when you say this line,’ or something terrible like that, something that you would never in a million years say to a real actor. And he just looked back at me with this blank stare, and said, ‘I don’t know how to do that.’ I felt all the gears in my head re-adjust – oh, wow, I’m working with an actor here. He’s actually engaged in the scene. That’s absolutely extraordinary and kind of uncanny to watch in a five-year-old child.”
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #11465
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

everyone needs to go to whatever theater is playing and see PT Anderson's new American masterpiece, The Master.

Then read my full review on my blog Fresh Cut Roc.

http://freshcutroc.wordpress.com/201...ew-the-master/

Thanks in advance
ROCSteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #11466
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

9/10

Let me start off by saying that this is not at all a 'fan friendly' film. I feel a lot of people will be turned off by the fact that this is lacking in cliche, likeable characters, and cookie-cutter neat narrative with a pull-at-the-heart-strings satisfying ending. There is so much to absorb that I have to watch it a few more times before being able to give a full dissection of all the different aspects and parts. But I am comfortable in saying that this just might be Paul Thomas Anderson's magnum opus. The direction was flawless, the picture was beautiful, the cinematography was used to great affect to influence the story and create character. Phoenix's performance was one of the best I've seen, it will take a monumental effort to keep him from sweeping the top actor nod during awards season (Spielberg's Lincoln biopic looks like the kind of Oscar bait that voters love though and DDL is a lock for a nominee). Hoffman and Adams bring their A-games as well, but Phoenix's Freddie Quell is like a feral, uncaged animal that Hoffman's Lancaster struggles to tame (lassoing the dragon) and falls in love with in the process as he sees so much of himself in him. That love-hate, slave-master, lion-tamer, father-son, teacher-student relationship is the backbone of the film.

Looking forward to seeing it again and letting it all sink in more...
Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #11467
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Grey. 7/10.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #11468
BEAST Griffin
SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING

BEAST Griffin is considered somewhat coolBEAST Griffin is considered somewhat coolBEAST Griffin is considered somewhat cool

Human centipede: 4/10

only saving grace was the Japanese guy in the front taking a crap. Too ****ed up not to laugh.
BEAST Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #11469
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59

9/10

Let me start off by saying that this is not at all a 'fan friendly' film. I feel a lot of people will be turned off by the fact that this is lacking in cliche, likeable characters, and cookie-cutter neat narrative with a pull-at-the-heart-strings satisfying ending. There is so much to absorb that I have to watch it a few more times before being able to give a full dissection of all the different aspects and parts. But I am comfortable in saying that this just might be Paul Thomas Anderson's magnum opus. The direction was flawless, the picture was beautiful, the cinematography was used to great affect to influence the story and create character. Phoenix's performance was one of the best I've seen, it will take a monumental effort to keep him from sweeping the top actor nod during awards season (Spielberg's Lincoln biopic looks like the kind of Oscar bait that voters love though and DDL is a lock for a nominee). Hoffman and Adams bring their A-games as well, but Phoenix's Freddie Quell is like a feral, uncaged animal that Hoffman's Lancaster struggles to tame (lassoing the dragon) and falls in love with in the process as he sees so much of himself in him. That love-hate, slave-master, lion-tamer, father-son, teacher-student relationship is the backbone of the film.

Looking forward to seeing it again and letting it all sink in more...

Read my review in the post above yours please

9.3/10
Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #11470
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Read my review in the post above yours please

9.3/10

Will do, get back to you tomorrow
Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #11471
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Will do, get back to you tomorrow

Thanks broham much respect, hope u like it
Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #11472
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

So Band of Brothers, how awesome is it? Is it character-based with the war simply being the backdrop or more action or??

I know it's not a movie but I figured this would be the best place to post about it. The blu-rays for it and The Pacific are on sale and I'm considering buying them. I've never watched the show but I'm aware of the hype and acclaim around it.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #11473
TheSilentKiller
3-time NBA All-Star

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How to Train Your Dragon: 6/10

Watched it in a big group and most people seemed to like it. Wasn't anything to special about it, but it wasn't boring either. Pretty predictable Dreamworks movie.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #11474
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
So Band of Brothers, how awesome is it? Is it character-based with the war simply being the backdrop or more action or??

I know it's not a movie but I figured this would be the best place to post about it. The blu-rays for it and The Pacific are on sale and I'm considering buying them. I've never watched the show but I'm aware of the hype and acclaim around it.

It's character driven with some very lifelike action woven in throughout. An absolutely fantastic story made even better by the fact that it is true. I read the book after watching it and it is told almost entirely by the actual people that were in E Company. The series is very close to the book.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #11475
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
It's character driven with some very lifelike action woven in throughout. An absolutely fantastic story made even better by the fact that it is true. I read the book after watching it and it is told almost entirely by the actual people that were in E Company. The series is very close to the book.
Sounds good. Band of Brothers + The Pacific blu-ray special edition set is going for $85. I think I'm going to grab it.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: