Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #11476
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
everyone needs to go to whatever theater is playing and see PT Anderson's new American masterpiece, The Master.

Then read my full review on my blog Fresh Cut Roc.

http://freshcutroc.wordpress.com/201...ew-the-master/

Thanks in advance

Very thorough review, covered all the aspects of the film intelligently, especially liked the parts detailing the cinematography and the use of light to convey character and likening parts to the Godfather, although I don't think Malaimare took it to the extreme of Gordon 'the prince of darkness' Willis with regards to keeping the characters in shadows.

One part I didn't really agree with was this:
Master explains that if Quells isn’t all in to support them that he never wants to see him again, although it is evident that he cares very much for Freddie, serenading him with a song heard earlier regarding Doris. It is at this piint that I’m calling Lancaster ‘Master’ Dodd’s sexuality into question. It would explain his commitment to Freddie ddespite the distrust his wife and family had all along. Was he in love with Freddie Quells or did he just fervently believe in the cause? I tend to lean more towards the former, Anderson showing us the corrupt nature of the human condition and those with a major platform. Just like Freddie Quells, I believe Lancaster Dodd to be a sexual deviant, at least bi-sexual at that.
What I took away from the 'slow boat to China' serenade wasn't that Dodd was expressing his affection for Freddy, it was the opposite. The slow boat to China is what took him away from Doris, away from any hope he had for a real life. It came after he let Freddy know that if they ever came in contact with one another, they would be sworn enemies... this was Dodd sticking the knife in Freddy and slowly twisting the handle.

And whereas I think Dodd had a very real affinity for Quell, nothing about it came off as stemming from a repressed sexuality. It was as the title and premise suggested- a master and servant relationship, an owner and his dog. Dodd even repeatedly said things like 'good boy' in regards to Freddy, he was just an animal in his eyes. But the reason he was so drawn to him was because Freddy seemed so very familiar to him- because he was the younger version of Dodd himself, the part of himself he buried with his pretentious charlatan snake oil salesman persona. The ****** in his armor show themselves when he is in Quell's presence- he can drink cup for cup with the raging alcoholic. Dodd wants to prove that he can lasso the dragon (reference to 'chasing the dragon' maybe?), and civilize the 'animal', because that means he can conquer that within himself. That's why Dodd is convinced they've met before and why Freddy seems so familiar to him- he sees himself in Freddy. His wife notices that Quell's presence brings out the less than desirable aspects of his personality that Dodd has tried so hard to suppress. That's why she views him as so much of a threat to the Cause- because she knows that Dodd is drawn to Quell like a moth to a flame and that instead of Dodd lassoing the dragon within Freddy, their interaction may unleash the animal within Dodd himself.

Speaking of sexual deviancy, what did you make of Quell's view of Peggy and Doris? He was very vulgar and seemed to be obsessed with sex yet when he finds out Doris is so young, he only allows her to kiss him on the cheek and their relationship seems almost chaste, very innocent. When Peggy is doing her processing with him and she brings up some sexual content, he seems very uncomfortable and seems almost offended that she would use that sort of language in his presence. Do you think it's a sort of Madonna-Whore complex? It goes back to the sand figure he crafted I think. He takes the time to carefully construct a female figure, he's very crude with it in one instance but later (especially the end shot), you seem him being very tender, almost loving with it.

Also, what did you think about Quell's possible hallucinations? The scene in Philadelphia when Dodd is leading the song and dance ritual and then all of a sudden, all of the women appear naked- did you think that actually happened? It seemed too surreal to me and it seemed to be clearly from Quell's viewpoint (as is most of the film, though not as directly as this portion). Also, the movie theater scene had the same vibe to it, Quell even later says that he had a dream that Dodd finally told him where they met when he's asked why he came to the school in England.

I'm sure I'll have a lot more to talk about once I get the chance to catch it again.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #11477
FatComputerNerd
National High School Star

FatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Saw the digitally re-enhanced version of Lawrence of Arabia last night on the big-screen @ the theater.

Seen the movie a half dozen times at-least, but never like that.

It was quite amazing.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #11478
FatComputerNerd

FatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Return (2003)

Highly recommended.

Last edited by FatComputerNerd : 10-07-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #11479
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Saw Haywire with Gina Carano off redbox last night, complete waste of time...slowest action film ever. Garbage/10.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #11480
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Avengers - 9/10

Dark Knight Rises - 10/10
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #11481
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
Saw the digitally re-enhanced version of Lawrence of Arabia last night on the big-screen @ the theater.

Seen the movie a half dozen times at-least, but never like that.

It was quite amazing.

Where is this playing? Did they show the whole intermission? Saw this on the big screen once.

Was it at Fanthom Events?

Quote:
This special event features an exclusive introduction from Lawrence of Arabia star and Academy Award® nominee Omar Sharif, newsreel footage of the New York premiere, as well as footage of King Hussein visiting the film set. In addition, Academy Award® winning Director Martin Scorsese will talk about the over-arching themes of Lawrence of Arabia and its influence on other iconic films in a recent, exclusive never-before-seen interview.

Last edited by KevinNYC : 10-07-2012 at 02:28 PM.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #11482
FatComputerNerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Where is this playing? Did they show the whole intermission? Saw this on the big screen once.

Was it at Fanthom Events?

They were showing it at a local theater here in Cleveland.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #11483
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Looper - 8/10

Excellent first 3/4ths of the movie. Falls apart a bit at the end with a weaker subplot and sort of stops playing by its own "rules". I loved the interaction between Joe and Old-Joe and the philosophical questions their encounter brought up. I was interested by the grimy worlds these people lived in. Then we got to the farmhouse and the "Rainmaker". Meh. I didn't buy any of the relationships built in those sequences. There were some logic gaps to the entire "looper" system but that's always going to happen with a time travel story.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #11484
mshahidz
Can barely lace up my sneakers

mshahidz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Looper - 8/10

Excellent first 3/4ths of the movie. Falls apart a bit at the end with a weaker subplot and sort of stops playing by its own "rules". I loved the interaction between Joe and Old-Joe and the philosophical questions their encounter brought up. I was interested by the grimy worlds these people lived in. Then we got to the farmhouse and the "Rainmaker". Meh. I didn't buy any of the relationships built in those sequences. There were some logic gaps to the entire "looper" system but that's always going to happen with a time travel story.

+1.
Great movie. its not really a time travel movie per say, but more of a cause/effect movie IMO. I also felt like the main theme is really PARENTS but very subtly.
mshahidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #11485
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Taken 2 - 5/10 (better than I thought it would be)
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:35 AM   #11486
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Taken 2 - 5/10 (better than I thought it would be)

I'm surprised considering Taken 1 is one of the most overrated movies

You must have a brain
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #11487
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
I'm surprised considering Taken 1 is one of the most overrated movies

You must have a brain
Taken has no real movie value imo, but it's fun to see a badass like Liam Neeson killing whole Albanian cartel to save his daughter.
Can't see how it's overrated...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #11488
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
Taken has no real movie value imo, but it's fun to see a badass like Liam Neeson killing whole Albanian cartel to save his daughter.
Can't see how it's overrated...

Because people reacted to the first one as if it was some amazing got to see movie. I enjoyed the first one, but I also didn't see why it was hyped up by people that saw it. It is far from "must see," which was how it was originally advertised to me by some people I know.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #11489
EricGordon23
Good college starter

EricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation here

Contraband 6.5/10
EricGordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #11490
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Very thorough review, covered all the aspects of the film intelligently, especially liked the parts detailing the cinematography and the use of light to convey character and likening parts to the Godfather, although I don't think Malaimare took it to the extreme of Gordon 'the prince of darkness' Willis with regards to keeping the characters in shadows.

One part I didn't really agree with was this:
Master explains that if Quells isn’t all in to support them that he never wants to see him again, although it is evident that he cares very much for Freddie, serenading him with a song heard earlier regarding Doris. It is at this piint that I’m calling Lancaster ‘Master’ Dodd’s sexuality into question. It would explain his commitment to Freddie ddespite the distrust his wife and family had all along. Was he in love with Freddie Quells or did he just fervently believe in the cause? I tend to lean more towards the former, Anderson showing us the corrupt nature of the human condition and those with a major platform. Just like Freddie Quells, I believe Lancaster Dodd to be a sexual deviant, at least bi-sexual at that.
What I took away from the 'slow boat to China' serenade wasn't that Dodd was expressing his affection for Freddy, it was the opposite. The slow boat to China is what took him away from Doris, away from any hope he had for a real life. It came after he let Freddy know that if they ever came in contact with one another, they would be sworn enemies... this was Dodd sticking the knife in Freddy and slowly twisting the handle.

And whereas I think Dodd had a very real affinity for Quell, nothing about it came off as stemming from a repressed sexuality. It was as the title and premise suggested- a master and servant relationship, an owner and his dog. Dodd even repeatedly said things like 'good boy' in regards to Freddy, he was just an animal in his eyes. But the reason he was so drawn to him was because Freddy seemed so very familiar to him- because he was the younger version of Dodd himself, the part of himself he buried with his pretentious charlatan snake oil salesman persona. The ****** in his armor show themselves when he is in Quell's presence- he can drink cup for cup with the raging alcoholic. Dodd wants to prove that he can lasso the dragon (reference to 'chasing the dragon' maybe?), and civilize the 'animal', because that means he can conquer that within himself. That's why Dodd is convinced they've met before and why Freddy seems so familiar to him- he sees himself in Freddy. His wife notices that Quell's presence brings out the less than desirable aspects of his personality that Dodd has tried so hard to suppress. That's why she views him as so much of a threat to the Cause- because she knows that Dodd is drawn to Quell like a moth to a flame and that instead of Dodd lassoing the dragon within Freddy, their interaction may unleash the animal within Dodd himself.

Speaking of sexual deviancy, what did you make of Quell's view of Peggy and Doris? He was very vulgar and seemed to be obsessed with sex yet when he finds out Doris is so young, he only allows her to kiss him on the cheek and their relationship seems almost chaste, very innocent. When Peggy is doing her processing with him and she brings up some sexual content, he seems very uncomfortable and seems almost offended that she would use that sort of language in his presence. Do you think it's a sort of Madonna-Whore complex? It goes back to the sand figure he crafted I think. He takes the time to carefully construct a female figure, he's very crude with it in one instance but later (especially the end shot), you seem him being very tender, almost loving with it.

Also, what did you think about Quell's possible hallucinations? The scene in Philadelphia when Dodd is leading the song and dance ritual and then all of a sudden, all of the women appear naked- did you think that actually happened? It seemed too surreal to me and it seemed to be clearly from Quell's viewpoint (as is most of the film, though not as directly as this portion). Also, the movie theater scene had the same vibe to it, Quell even later says that he had a dream that Dodd finally told him where they met when he's asked why he came to the school in England.

I'm sure I'll have a lot more to talk about once I get the chance to catch it again.

Thanks again for taking the time to read.

That's a very interesting perspective on Dodd and the purpose of the song. It just seemed like he was real broken up and distraught emotionally over Freddie, specifically. I know he valued him as a protege or whatever but it just seemed like his feelings for him went beyond that.

I could be very wrong but Anderson is such a good filmmaker that those interpretations is what makes his films high art. I'm not even that confident in my opinion of that but it just made sense that a guy preaching answers and enlightenment could be hiding some very substantial skeletons- the nature of how nuanced our flaws are- like ANIMALS.

Yea Freddie was very perplexed. He prolly was just as pure and yearning of all the traditional tenderness with women as us 'normal' folk but thru heartbreak, family trauma, violent past, etc he's become more casual in his desire to dominate sexually. Perhaps he respected Peggy like he did Doris, even if he wasn't in love with Peggy.

The scene where they were drunk and singing in Laura Dern's house was odd and ppl jus kept gettin more and more naked it seemed not naturally. Maybe it was perceived by the characters due to their own sexual natures and the fact that they were drinking distilled turpintine or whatever it was
ROCSteady is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: