Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #11521
LA Lakers
High school junior varsity star

LA Lakers has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

The Master
Grade:A
LA Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #11522
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

IP Man 1 & 2

Awesome movies. The fighting beats most of what you see in other hyped fighting films like The Raid or Crotchich Tighter. Its cool to see where Bruce Lee developed his roots. IP Man 1 has better fighting, but only because it was more about displaying those skills, while as part two goes into more story regarding the further spreading of the Wing Chun style. I never realized martial arts schools were such a big deal in China that long ago.

I wouldn't mind learning Wing Chun.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #11523
Segatti
Good High School Starter

Segatti has no real reputation yet.

Ransom with Mel Gibson.

It's good I guess, the last part is stupid and over the top though. 7/10.
Segatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #11524
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

blacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

7.5/10. fun, quirky movie. can't say i'd call it 'hilarious' though...just some moments that make you chuckle
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #11525
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is considered somewhat coolbrandonislegend is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm

6.5/10

don't get the hype and i understand it being a tongue in cheap horror/comedy. the first 30 minutes seemed to set a good tone, but it went downhill from there.

i've seen b movie horrors executed way better, ie latter part of evil dead series and toxic avenger movies. i saw piranha 3D in theaters and enjoyed it much more.

maybe the most overrated movie i've seen this year compared to what i expected. lame cast, lame effects and the monsters, clowns, creatures etc seemed to come out of nowhere with no explanation.

i can appreciate a good b horror comedy, but this was just dull. no real memorable moments aside from a couple zinger one liners. idk, just really average overall.

I could not agree more, after the movie was over me and my friend looked at eachother like this got good reviews?
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #11526
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

blacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

8/10. wow, much better than i expected. the script in the first 30 minutes seemed super bland but it got better.i really didn't find it disturbing or anything but definitely mysterious. i can honestly say i didn't see the ending unfolding the way it did. i'm going to type my theory in white so beware:

maggie's a con artist. abigail is her daughter. she was probably a junkie around the time she got pregnant with abigail. she could have nearly drowned in the bathtub and that explains her temporary amnesia. she exaggerates the other details of not knowing ANYTHING of her past. the robbery and arson are probably drug related. we never see a mother figure in abigail's life and we don't even really know if abigail considers or recognizes anyone as her mother. maggie taught abigail the handshake before she had to go in hiding. i'm guessing this was before she was three years old and it somehow stuck. it also explains why she has her illness (maggie doing drugs during pregnancy).

maggie definitely has a screw loose but i think her grand scheme was to somehow reunite with her daughter and take her away. she knew peter was the key to that happening.

the one thing that bugged me was that it seemed like lorna was the one being pulled in more at first...like at the shooting range, it seemed like she couldn't explain her 'natural' accuracy ability. it was almost as if she wanted to believe in this divine power the group had. then she had to pull the whole jealous rage thing and make it seem like peter was the crazy one. idk, just seemed a bit off to me and pretty cliche. character development flaw.

i know that's a pretty straightforward theory so i'd be interested if anybody has others, especially regarding the DOJ agent. is there something more to her?

anyway, if you don't like movies that the director leaves open to interpretation, this film could just frustrate you.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 10-20-2012 at 08:03 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #11527
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonislegend
I could not agree more, after the movie was over me and my friend looked at eachother like this got good reviews?

I enjoyed it, but yeah, i also didn't get why it got such rave reviews. I have run across people who feel superior because they understood the message of the movie being a parody of old school horror. I'm like, ok...? Good for you, as if that was something difficult to figure out.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #11528
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I saw Argo last night, and I was thoroughly impressed.... easily a 9/10

The opening sequence set the mood and tension for the rest of the movie, Cranston and Arkin were awesome, and the last 35-or-so minutes were absolutely edge-of-the-seat intensity.

Damn it, Affleck, you've done it again.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #11529
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

First seen this a good five or six years ago. Actually, just watched The Descent 2 a few weeks ago for the first time, which inspired me to revisit the first one, and now rate it here.

I'm not exactly into the "gore" genre but occasionally you find what would be technically considered as a "gore" flick, combined with an excellent story-line making it a rare bird with no official name/category/genre/etc to classify them into.

Enough of my bullshit babbling, I'd give The Descent (original) 8.5/10 and The Descent 2 something around 7/10 (story-line truly takes a "descent").

Last edited by Legend of Josh : 10-20-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #11530
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^ Which version of part 1 do you prefer? The British or the American version?
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #11531
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
^ Which version of part 1 do you prefer? The British or the American version?

I'll be honest, I've only seen the American version ... I didn't even realize there's a British version (which I'm assuming was probably the "original" later to be re-cast and re-released in the states?). I'll have to check that out! Is there a UK version of Part 2?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #11532
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is considered somewhat coolbrandonislegend is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
I enjoyed it, but yeah, i also didn't get why it got such rave reviews. I have run across people who feel superior because they understood the message of the movie being a parody of old school horror. I'm like, ok...? Good for you, as if that was something difficult to figure out.

Yeah everytime I say the movie sucks everyone is like "you just don't understand it"

Uh yeah I do. It was a bad movie.
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #11533
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
I'll be honest, I've only seen the American version ... I didn't even realize there's a British version (which I'm assuming was probably the "original" later to be re-cast and re-released in the states?). I'll have to check that out! Is there a UK version of Part 2?

It isn't a remake, it just has an alternate ending. The British one came out just slightly earlier and they didn't think American audiences would like this ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jf_-vwIrsQ (sound is slightly off, but you'll get the idea)
Old 10-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #11534
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
It isn't a remake, it just has an alternate ending. The British one came out just slightly earlier and they didn't think American audiences would like this ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jf_-vwIrsQ (sound is slightly off, but you'll get the idea)

So you're saying same exact actors, scenes, etc. - just alternate ending for the British audience? Just finished watching the UK ending, and yeah, it's different. I think either one could have worked, but the UK's version puts the viewer into a much deeper state of psychological curiosity wondering just how everything would play itself out with both Sarah and Juno still down there.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #11535
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
So you're saying same exact actors, scenes, etc. - just alternate ending for the British audience? Just finished watching the UK ending, and yeah, it's different. I think either one could have worked, but the UK's version puts the viewer into a much deeper state of psychological curiosity wondering just how everything would play itself out with both Sarah and Juno still down there.

Although there likely wouldn't have been a sequel, since the most common interpretation of the British version is that she went crazy and was killing everybody while just hallucinating the humanoid creatures.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: