Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #11536
SourPatchKids
Banned

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Attention ISH movie buffs-
I expect at least 5 in-depth reviews of Cloud Atlas no more than 24 hours after it's release. Anything less will disappoint me greatly.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #11537
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
I expect at least 5 in-depth reviews of Cloud Atlas no more than 24 hours after it's release. Anything less will disappoint me greatly.

Nobody tells me what to do. If I watch it, I will spitefully just give it a rating with no explanation.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #11538
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids

YAD (you are disappoint).

Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #11539
D-Rose

Still haven't seen The Master...need to make time for it though, maybe a double feature with Argo.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:39 AM   #11540
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

I don't get the Emile Hirsch love. He comes off like a student film actor every time I see him.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #11541
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
Still haven't seen The Master...need to make time for it though, maybe a double feature with Argo.

I'm falling behind now that I'm in SoCal where it costs me more than 2X what I am used to paying. I haven't seen The Master, Argo, Seven Psychopaths, and I think there was 1 more film I wanted to see but haven't.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #11542
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

So the last 3rd of Killer Joe got really weird...
Old 10-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #11543
blacknapalm
spider 3 y banana

8.25/10. just a quirky, fun movie. pretty tempted to bump it to 8.5 as i feel this might be wes anderson's best film since 'rushmore' and maybe best film overall.

if you're not a fan of anderson, give this movie one last shot. if you still don't like him, well, i guess he just doesn't suit you.

i know some of his main criticisms are that he's 'artsy' and pretentious/hipster. he really doesn't follow a formula though. don't get me wrong...if you're familiar with him, you know this is an anderson film. i just feel he was able to blend just about everything together to really create a nice story in this one.

i don't like to make the comparison but it reminds me of a shakespearean comedy. tons of irony and over the top moments that just engages the audience.

he also harkens back a lot and some of those little details remind me of the coen bros. they take entirely different approaches, but i really feel that they reach similar conclusions in a roundabout way.

the way anderson shoots....again, this is either something that annoys the crap out of you or you roll with it. i personally am in the latter category. i'd take his style over shaky cam, lame CGI and fish lens garbage. nice timing with his shots. the one main criticism i've always had is that his sets always look forced and unnatural. he needs to messy it up a bit and take some chances. his sets look like 'hollywood' sets and that's never a good sign. borrow from nature and the real world more and don't worry about 'square' costume design.

there's some really nice unexpected lines here. i just about lol'd when bill murray straight up lifted the tent and willis' character just put his car in reverse. then there was the 'sir, do you have your medicine?' line.

the first half of the movie is about as action packed as you get for an anderson film. that's not a ton so take it for what it's worth. this is a movie that will make you smile, think, feel hopeful and feel somewhat sad at the same time. i'd say that's pretty good.

oh, it's also some of the best kid acting storytelling i've seen since the sandlot, goonies, ET and super 8. it ranks way up there. i wouldn't really disagree with anyone that called this anderson's apex thus far.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 10-21-2012 at 07:16 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #11544
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer

Psycho-8.2/10

I've been meaning to get to this movie for a long time since I've heard such good things about it. Didn't disappoint at all. The creepy music played in time with the static camera angles made for a really dark and suspenseful atmosphere. I haven't seen many of Hitchcock's work, but based on this, I think I'm going to check out some of his other stuff.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #11545
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Safety Not Guaranteed - 8/10
I remember when the meme hit it big on YTMND so I was really curious to see what they did with this idea. I came away very pleased. This was just an overall light and pleasant movie about a couple of people who feel like they don't fit in. The strange part of this was that some of the better moments in the movie revolved around the secondary characters (Jeff and Arnau). There were times where the chemistry between the two primary characters wasn't working for me but it came together nicely at the end with an interesting twist. This is how you can be a very good indie movie without overdoing the "quirk" factor.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - 7/10
I think that's a generous score. I feel like the movie wasn't "7/10" good but it kinda won me over on an emotional level solely based on Steve Carrell's performance. This is basically a lighter Hollywood-rehash of Last Night (1998) which was a far superior movie about people dealing with the end of the world. Seriously, anyone that liked this and hasn't seen Last Night, go watch that. I really liked the first 30 minutes of this but then there were some strange shifts in tone and a couple awful scenes (the cop/jail). I also can't get over the idea that a single-engine plane could make a cross-Atlantic flight. What were the writers thinking?!? But then you have Steve Carrell who can create a sympathetic character in his sleep and you're enjoying every scene he's the focus of.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #11546
ZeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
So the last 3rd of Killer Joe got really weird...
For a moment there I thought you were talking about Looper..lol
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #11547
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
For a moment there I thought you were talking about Looper..lol
Way weirder. Gina Gershon gives a blowjob to a chicken leg. Really.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #11548
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:

Such an awesome movie. That scene was just like what in the f*ck, could feel the craziness

As for Emile Hirsch I think he's a decent actor, atleast from what I've seen. Speed Racer he was whatever. Didn't like the film, didn't hate him or like him in it. Into the Wild, The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys, Girl Next Door were all good flicks\performances. I liked Alphadog but no clue how others felt about that, his performance was similar to Speed Racer for me. Somebody did actually just say they seen the Darkest Hour and he was awful in it tho

Haven't seen Milk but heard he was good in it. Killer Joe thought he was decent\good flick. Forgot Lords of Dogtown too, another good flick that he was pretty good in IMO.

Last edited by NuggetsFan : 10-22-2012 at 12:32 AM.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #11549
ZeN

Quote:
My fantasy has come true..

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #11550
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheRim.

Psycho-8.2/10

I've been meaning to get to this movie for a long time since I've heard such good things about it. Didn't disappoint at all. The creepy music played in time with the static camera angles made for a really dark and suspenseful atmosphere. I haven't seen many of Hitchcock's work, but based on this, I think I'm going to check out some of his other stuff.

Some other must see Hitchcock movies:
North By Northwest
Rear Window
Vertigo
Strangers on a Train
The Birds

The two I haven't seen yet but feel I really must are Rope and Dial M for Murder.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: