Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #11671
ihoopallday
King James

ihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Gladiator 9.9/10
ihoopallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #11672
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

And my final Oscar reachin' movie of this much needed long weekend wound up being my least favorite. Speilberg's Lincoln.

Starting with the good, DDL is as expected, spectacular as Lincoln. The casual likable storytelling element of the character's folk lore is spot on. Sally Field's Mary Todd Lincoln is both pitiable and wholly unlikable at the same time, as should be the case. And Tommy Lee Jones provides an element of comic relief (along with Lincoln yarn spinning), that is much needed in what is a dense 2.5 hour movie. And also as I expected, the production value is second to none. Costume and set design are breathtaking.

I'm not sure what the cause of my issues are. In part it may be because I know a good deal about the source material. I've read probably a dozen Lincoln books. I knew a lot of what was being told, and maybe that made the deliberate pacing seem worse, and probably left the 13th amendment House debating too front and center, and too dry (although a lot of it is really interesting, and hearing people walk out in disbelief that that's how they behaved was fun).
But the movie feels like one siloloque after another after another after another in spots. The nature of the Lincoln character means that even general dialogue, family dialogue with his wife, is gonna have to rich and thick. And the way it's cut together doesn't give you much seperation from scene to scene. It's almost as if you had your eyes' closed, you'd not immediately realize that the stage had changed from the House of Representatives, to Lincoln's cabinet, to his bedroom with his wife.
The swooning score that left a bad taste in my mouth during the trailer, I actually felt wasn't used enough in the first couple acts, as it would've helped to change the tone from setting to setting. But that seperation felt thin to me, if that makes any sense.
The trademark Speilberg hokieness that has gotten worse in his later years only made a few appearances. Once right off the bat when two black soldiers are talking to Lincoln, in a manner the most off kilter right wing nut today wouldn't speak to the current Commander in Chief, and in a manner and black man wouldn't speak at that time to passing lecherous white man ... let alone talk to Abraham Lincoln in that fashion. Then again at the end with a moment with Tommy Lee Jones' character that was evident the moment he opened the door.
I sort of disagree with the choice regarding the assassination. And I'm also a little troubled with the fact that I sat through a two and half hour Lincoln movie and didn't hear the Gettysburgh adress in anything but pieces spoken by other people. I also would've liked a more serious look at the cabinet. William Seward, perhaps the greatest american no one knows about, is little more than a message boy. And he was the thing I took most from the book that the movie is allegedly based on. In fact he's such a compelling character that after the success of the book, the author went on to write a book exclusively about Seward. But whatever.

I feel like this is a decent movie held together by a tremendous performance that is depicting a monumental figure. But it's a clunkily told story told through too much era specific legalese that for large chunks of it's narrative looses touch with the character of Lincoln that's at it's heart, and those are the parts that work.

I'd give it a mid 80s, and warn that it's not for everyone. It would help if you're into sort of serious courtroom style drama movies, or are at least somewhat historically inclined.

I felt that There Will Be Blood was a really good movie elevated to the cusp of greatness by a singular performance by DDL, a great surprise performance by Paul Dano, and heartstopping ending that had me leave the theatre more taken aback than I was during the body of the movie ... Lincoln doesn't have anyone else give a performance as good as Dano's, and frankly *** Spoiler Warning *** ... I already knew Lincoln would die and the North would win.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #11673
The-Legend-24
LA DECIMA!!

The-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected poster

Skyfall - 6.5-7/10
The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:56 AM   #11674
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Sky fall - 6/10
Madagascar 3 - 5-10
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #11675
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Smoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation here

Skyfall - 7.5. I hated the second movie of this series so was pleasantly surprised by this one, but the first one is still the best.
Smoke117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #11676
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

8.5/10

The movie has a deep message and very moving scenes. The one that stands out to me is when Jared Leto calls his girlfriend from the pay phone and they both just face reality while still making unrealistic promises. Definitely a heartbreaking movie. It will make you think about how far you would go for something. What your priorities are. You can get so much out of this film by watching it.

Great movie.

EDIT: Here's the scene I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlcxW8KUzks

Last edited by Bano114 : 11-25-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #11677
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

amazing spiderman. 7/10. seemed like it left alot of the story out and gave us cliff notes of spidey's origin.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #11678
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Life of Pi: 8/10- Look at that picture. I hadn't read the book, nor heard much about it. All I saw was the trailers and figured this was a survival tale where this boy befriends a tiger because they need each other to survive.

And if that's the story you want go watch another movie. This is a deep, confusing movie (also depressing, just to warn you) about faith, about life, and about coping. You really have to stick with it until the end and keep an open mind about it because a) It's a bit of an unreliable narrator just in that we don't know exactly how the story is unfolding whether they are direct flashbacks or just visual representation of the story he's telling. There are scenes that make NO SENSE when you watch them in context with the rest of the story (I'm sure they have other significance that a better viewer than me can pinpoint).

Visually? Stunning. From the bizarre sequences (mind boggling) to animal movement to epic action it's very good. And this is an epic tale. Well acted, well cut, from top to bottom this crew did a wonderful job and much kudos to Ang Lee.

Story wise, again, it's all very depressing. The novel maybe explains a bit more and I don't want to spoil it but if any of you see/have seen it I'd love for you to PM me cause I'd like your take on the ending, and on the overall theme.

I recommend this film, but you don't have to rush out to see it.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #11679
fos
It's not rebound-ball.

fos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected poster

Skyfall... 7/10

Is it just me or did it seem like a Batman prequel or something?
fos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #11680
AngelEyes
Sentenza

AngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihoopallday
Gladiator 9.9/10

You have excellent taste in movies, I'll tell you that much.
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #11681
ihoopallday
King James

ihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation here

21 Jump Street. 3/10. Just didn't find this movie that funny like most people.
ihoopallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #11682
LA Lakers
High school junior varsity star

LA Lakers has no real reputation yet.

Saw Skyfall today. One of the best Bonds ever. Think on your sins. Grade: A-
LA Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #11683
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Damn, the new Les Miserables cast is loaded with good actors. Ill prob read the bool after my semester is over and then catch the movie around new years.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #11684
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Baraka
Watched this while lit, and it was pretty good, i definitely recommend it while lit. Certain parts of the film are chilling and sneak up on you out of nowhere. Very good directing. 9/10

Faces of Death (the original)
After Baraka we watched this and it is insane how violent humanity is, especially white people; they are on a whole new level and if you don't believe me just think about the Mengele's twins experiment. Got damn. I had seen this film as a kid but when your high its a much different experience. The cult leader who had people eating the dead and having an orgy during it? Damn. 8/10

Speed Racer
This is a really fun film to watch. Even when it first came out i felt like it was going under the radar. Visually it looks cool, the story is cool and a lot of it feels like the old cartoon. Its just an overall cool/fun movie, especially the races. 7/10

Last edited by Loneshot : 11-29-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #11685
TheSilentKiller
NBA Superstar

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

God damn Thorp your reviews are so indepth
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: