Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #11686
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I did a Google search to see if anyone in this thread viewed/rated Precious. It didn't exactly find any results, but that can't be right, can it? There has to be thousands of reviews/rates in here, and not a single one for Precious?

Anywho, I know many of you have see that beast - and - I originally seen it a few years ago, but seen it again just here recently, and it reconfirmed my initial reaction of "damn, what a great, powerful moving movie" ...

The main character (can't recall the actress' name) played the role perfectly, and it's sad she'll never really play additional roles in future films b/c her look (big fat black girl) isn't going to be a highly desired part for movies. She's a damn good actress.

I give it 9.5 out of 10.

Last edited by Legend of Josh : 11-29-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #11687
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Amazing Spider-Man - 7/10
Ted - 7/10
Draz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #11688
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Amazing Spider-Man - 7/10
Ted - 7/10

I watched Ted in the theater. I wasn't expecting some masterpiece comedy on the level of say Knocked Up or Hangover for example(s), but I was just a bit underwhelmed. There were a couple of super hilarious scenes, but not enough to have me itching to see it again and again (like say the original Friday or Ace Ventura 2: When Nature Calls).
Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #11689
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
I did a Google search to see if anyone in this thread viewed/rated Precious. It didn't exactly find any results, but that can't be right, can it? There has to be thousands of reviews/rates in here, and not a single one for Precious?

Anywho, I know many of you have see that beast - and - I originally seen it a few years ago, but seen it again just here recently, and it reconfirmed my initial reaction of "damn, what a great, powerful moving movie" ...

The main character (can't recall the actress' name) played the role perfectly, and it's sad she'll never really play additional roles in future films b/c her look (big fat black girl) isn't going to be a highly desired part for movies. She's a damn good actress.

I give it 9.5 out of 10.

Maybe, but she snagged a recurring role on Showtime's the Big C. She was great in Precious, and so was Monique who I always thought was a turrible actress. But the writing and direction was on point, so it all worked out.

Just looked up her IMDB, looks like she was in Tower Heist, Seven Psychopaths, and has another flick she's working on. So she's doing pretty well considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
God damn Thorp your reviews are so indepth

I always enjoy reading Thorpe's movie reviews, and his posts in general.
DonDadda59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #11690
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Maybe, but she snagged a recurring role on Showtime's the Big C. She was great in Precious, and so was Monique who I always thought was a turrible actress. But the writing and direction was on point, so it all worked out.

Just looked up her IMDB, looks like she was in Tower Heist, Seven Psychopaths, and has another flick she's working on. So she's doing pretty well considering.

I always enjoy reading Thorpe's movie reviews, and his posts in general.

DonDadda, from what I've read you typically have really good tastes in films. Have you seen anything good recently you'd recommend? Have you seen Flight, or plan/desire to?

*edit*

Oh, and Thorp also does video game reviews very well too. He'd make a great "professional" reviewer for some type of newspaper outfit or something.

Last edited by Legend of Josh : 11-30-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #11691
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
DonDadda, from what I've read you typically have really good tastes in films. Have you seen anything good recently you'd recommend? Have you seen Flight, or plan/desire to?

Saw Flight, but I didn't catch the very end since I had a meeting I had to duck out to. But Denzel was great, John Goodman was hilarious and I wish he was in it more, the plot was solid but a bit slow in parts. The plane crash scene was intense. Overall I'd give it a 7.5/10... but again, I missed the last 10 min or so.
DonDadda59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:30 AM   #11692
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Money 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Lakers
Saw Skyfall today. One of the best Bonds ever. Think on your sins. Grade: A-
You don't like Nolan's Batman movies, yet Skyfall, a direct rip off you consider an A- film ...
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #11693
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
Faces of Death (the original)
After Baraka we watched this and it is insane how violent humanity is, especially white people;

Are you white?

Also Props on Baraka, the best your TV will ever look is Baraka on Blu Ray.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 AM   #11694
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114

8.5/10

The movie has a deep message and very moving scenes. The one that stands out to me is when Jared Leto calls his girlfriend from the pay phone and they both just face reality while still making unrealistic promises. Definitely a heartbreaking movie. It will make you think about how far you would go for something. What your priorities are. You can get so much out of this film by watching it.

Great movie.

EDIT: Here's the scene I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlcxW8KUzks

No offense, reading this from you I can tell you're young. Would I be correct in saying you're in your late teen's / early 20's?

BTW, you're right, great movie.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #11695
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Thank you gentleman.

I try hard to be detailed enough to give people info on weather or not they want to see something but without spoiling it, and enough to spark dialogue with anyone who's actually seen it. It's a tricky balance.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #11696
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The most recent films I've seen:

In Time
More like waste of time. C

Due Date
Kind of an enjoyable road trip comedy. It's not really enjoyable to where you'd want to watch it again, but it's passable. It tries to be Planes, Trains and Automobiles, but it's just not nearly as good. C+

Contagion
Not a whole lot to say about it. The movie is kind of sterile and cold which is fitting. B

A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas
Disappointing. Not all that funny overall, but has redeeming parts to it. I expected better or at least for it to be funnier. C+

Horrible Bosses
Decent enough comedy. I thought Colin Farrell's character had plenty of potential, but then they barely use him in the movie. Other things had potential, but also kind of fizzled out a bit, as well. I liked it, but I think it could have been done much better. B-

Cherry Falls
Abduction
I put these 2 together because I gave them the same grade and have the same criticism: just really average movies making you left to wonder what's the point? C

Fast Five
If you liked the rest of the series, then you'll like this too (probably more than the others), but if not, then you probably won't like this either. B-
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #11697
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Are you white?

Also Props on Baraka, the best your TV will ever look is Baraka on Blu Ray.

No i'm not white. I know, it seems like a lot of my recent post have been anti-white, but its because i've been reading up on some history lately, and its all been filled with Europeans spreading themselves around the world, putting their paws on everyone.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #11698
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
No i'm not white. I know, it seems like a lot of my recent post have been anti-white, but its because i've been reading up on some history lately, and its all been filled with Europeans spreading themselves around the world, putting their paws on everyone.
I actually did think you were white and just feeling guilty.

Well if you want to flesh out your knowledge of the horrible side of humanity, I can suggest you look at Nanking or Pol Pot's Cambodia or China under Mao or this charming little fella
Quote:
Genghis Khan has been branded the greenest invader in history - after his murderous conquests killed so many people that huge swathes of cultivated land returned to forest.
The Mongol leader, who established a vast empire between the 13th and 14th centuries, helped remove nearly 700million tons of carbon from the atmosphere, claims a new study.
The deaths of 40million people meant that large areas of cultivated land grew thick once again with trees, which absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

and's that's just Asia. If you want to go to Africa, you can find ample evidence in Africa's ongoing wars: 5 million people have been killed in the Congo in the last 15 years. If you go back in history and look at the supply-side of the slave trade, you find
Quote:
slave-trading kingdoms of western and central Africa. These included the Akan of the kingdom of Asante in what is now Ghana, the Fon of Dahomey (now Benin), the Mbundu of Ndongo in modern Angola and the Kongo of today’s Congo, among several others.
I recommend this book on the genocide in Rwanda where something like 800, 000 died in less than 4 months

When you learn a little more, you might come to realize that this is not a trait of a single group. The capacity to violence is inherent in all humanity and society has many "civilizing" factors that help keep it in check, religion, law, culture, etc. It has some that help increase it (nationalism, xenophobia, etc).

If you look at some atrocities like the Rwandan genocide or the Holocaust, you'll find they are not spontaneous, they are usually preceding by a campaign of hate, a campaign that poses the "other" either subhuman or a direct threat that must be eradicated. Once you have people in a fearful state, it's easy to have a campaign of violence. Before the Nazis came to power, people considered Germany one of the most highly civilized states in Germany, including German Jews.

One of the most amazing books, I've read is the diaries of Victor Klemperer called I Will Bear Witness. He was a Jewish professor of literature in Germany and he was married to a German woman and converted to Protestantism (so he tended to be last of the list of people to be rounded up). He documents the incremental changes in Germany during the 30's. One problem with reading history is the hindsight bias or the historian's fallacy, since you know about WWII and the Holocaust, you pretend that this was obvious all along where this was headed and everyone at the time should have known. People wonder why didn't the Jews all flee Germany? Klemperer's diary shows day by day, it getting a little and little worse and one of the themes is he simply can't believe this is happening in Germany, the most cultured place on the continent.
Quote:
"Everything that I viewed as un-German -- the brutality, the injustice, the hypocrisy, the mass hypnosis, even the drunken rowdiness -- all that is flourishing here," wrote Klemperer.
Reading his day by day account really gives you a different feeling of how it went down.

The other thing to realize about humanity is there's nothing to say that people who have suffered injustices are not also capable of the same injustices.

Last edited by KevinNYC : 11-30-2012 at 03:46 PM.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #11699
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Joshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not white either and this isn't a knock on you but rather, an expression of my dislike for when people read a few books and draw conclusions that, somehow, European Imperialism is the only bad thing in the world and that we, as liberal arts majors, need to criticize it every day because it makes us more sophisticated to look at things in hindsight without considering other factors such as geography, literacy/education levels, religious extremism, technology, etc.

My problem with the New Left approach to things is that it's no different from what they were fighting against in the first place. It espouses a black-and-white view of "progress". Essentially, it is still very much Euro-centric.

Because of that, you don't have to be white to suffer white guilt. You can easily just read something like this and feel that way too because it presents this knowledge in such a way that is directed only towards to white liberals. Thus, for minorities, it's even worse because not only do you suffer the guilt of living in an "educated" country but you also suffer shame. Hence why us minorities are so angry, confused, and frustrated. It generates a feedback loop that slows our culture down and stagnates it.

Now, it's not a bad thing to read these books because we need to remember history to not repeat it. But without moderation, exposure, and real-world experience guiding it, these sort of conclusions have led us to this modern age of political correctness and academic elitism. As a result, it has isolated minority groups, polarized our political system, and lowered our educational/economical status as a whole.

I mean, I hate sounding like a Republican conservative, but my problem with these types of approaches is that it ignores human nature and rewrites itself so that only one side of history is approached. It limits perspective and as a result, limits your mobility as a minority.

That's just my $.02 though. I'm not claiming to have answers or the truth or anything.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #11700
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Joshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation here

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Gatacca

9/10.

Not a 9/10 film but I just like the concept and the discussion this film generates so I'm giving it 9.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: