Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #11806
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Effects genius Tom Sevini played one of the trackers as well, just like he played that Sheriff that got ripped into quarters in Planet Terror. Those are totally his squibs.

Yeah I love Savini, but I missed him when I saw it... Then saw his name in the credits. I even have one of his horror effects tapes from like 1982 haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Also, did you like it more or less than Basterds? My initial reaction was that it was better. But it's been a year since I've watched Basterds.

I don't know, I haven't watched Basterds since I bought the dvd when it came out. Both Django and Basterds kind of underwhelmed me on my first viewing. Even though I try to go into all movies with no expectations, I still expect Tarantino movies to be awesome.

I'd say Basterds had better dialogue scenes and more tension, whereas Django had better action, quicker pace, and better cinematography.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with Django because I love Spaghetti Westerns. I will watch Basterds and Django again for a better comparison.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #11807
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation here

LA Confidential

6/10

Considering the reviews and ratings, i gave it a try and i have to say this is according to me the most overrated movie of the 90s....

It felt like this movie was trying to be too cool.... with the amount of "cool lingo" that they use I began to get lost with exactly what the characters were really proverbing. It is okay to a point, but this movie did it far too much where it became distracting and very impractical. I really didn't care too much for the plot itself either, it has punch--but doles it out in spurts, the first hour is best, and most of the ensemble acting is spot-on, but interest wanes once the story becomes too muddied up..... Again, it was okay, but I can think of plenty other cop dramas that are far superior to this one........

Last edited by pauk : 12-27-2012 at 06:15 PM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #11808
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Django Unchained - 5/10

Tarantino is clearly coasting on his reputation. While I won't say this movie is terrible it suffered from poor writing. There is interesting dialogue at times but I found myself waiting for something interesting to happen. After a lot of nervous laughter from me and the crowd I just wanted the movie to be over. The performances by the actors are the only redeeming quality of the movie.

Dicaprio and Samual L Jackson are easily the best performers in this film. The scenes with them are the ones that I remember the most because you really can't take your eyes off either of them when they are on screen.

This film suffered from a really bad job editing job. I was reading some other reviews online and one person commented that there might be a good movie somewhere in this drawn-out mess of a film. I think that could be true but we'll never really know.

I'm no fan of Tarantino but I will say that this guy does know how to make gore and violence somewhat hilarious. You can tell Tarantino is making fun of racists throughout the movie. I suppose he was trying to be Mark Twain-esque in that way but he isn't nearly as good at it. If Spike Lee really won't see this film I am a bit disappointed because I thought he was more sophisticated than that.

I'd say this movie is worth seeing if you really love seeing over the top action. I really wish he'd make movies for adults though.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #11809
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer

AboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this board

The Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey 8.7/10

Saw RT and was thinking that I'd end up disappointed when I finally got around to seeing it, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Jackson deserves praise for what he was able to do with the first installment in the trilogy. He was able to not only capture every important aspect from the book, but added in more side stories that weren't' really talked about in the Hobbit. I thought the side-story with Radagash the Brown was interesting, and added in some comic relief, which was acceptable because this movie ended up being a lot more serious than I thought it would be.

I'm not one to be a stickler for the quality of 3d vs. normal, so for the most part, I thought that the 3d made the movie absolutely beautiful. There were a couple scenes (namely action scenes) where I felt like the speed was off a little, but the movie was the 2nd best 3d movie I've ever seen (behind Avatar).

I was/still am a little skeptical about Jackson making the Hobbit into 3 parts, but with how good the first part was, I am greatly looking forward to parts 2 and 3, and will happily purchase tickets to see each one in theaters.

Definitely go see this if you haven't already.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #11810
D-Wade316
F***

D-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
Django Unchained - 5/10

Tarantino is clearly coasting on his reputation. While I won't say this movie is terrible it suffered from poor writing. There is interesting dialogue at times but I found myself waiting for something interesting to happen. After a lot of nervous laughter from me and the crowd I just wanted the movie to be over. The performances by the actors are the only redeeming quality of the movie.

Dicaprio and Samual L Jackson are easily the best performers in this film. The scenes with them are the ones that I remember the most because you really can't take your eyes off either of them when they are on screen.

This film suffered from a really bad job editing job. I was reading some other reviews online and one person commented that there might be a good movie somewhere in this drawn-out mess of a film. I think that could be true but we'll never really know.

I'm no fan of Tarantino but I will say that this guy does know how to make gore and violence somewhat hilarious. You can tell Tarantino is making fun of racists throughout the movie. I suppose he was trying to be Mark Twain-esque in that way but he isn't nearly as good at it. If Spike Lee really won't see this film I am a bit disappointed because I thought he was more sophisticated than that.

I'd say this movie is worth seeing if you really love seeing over the top action. I really wish he'd make movies for adults though.
What do you think of Inglorious Basterds?
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #11811
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade316
What do you think of Inglorious Basterds?

I really enjoyed it. The story was a lot more interesting and the movie was put together a hell of a lot better. I read that the woman that edits Tarantino's films died and so someone else put Django together.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #11812
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation

Lawless - 8.5/10
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:06 AM   #11813
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Lawless 8/10

Django Unchained - A rare 10/10 for me. Favorite movie of the year.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:21 AM   #11814
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Lockout C-/D+

This flick had very few original ideas of its own. During the first 20 minutes I felt like I was watching some kind of mediocre remake of Escape From New York. The special effects often look like they came right out of a PS3 cutscene. Some of the action is interesting if you can get past the middling CG. For the most part the story was by the numbers and was easy to predict save for a couple of minor, ultimately pointless twists. Guy Pearce was solid as the sarcastic, wrongfully accused, (anti) hero but other than that this flick was very average and fairly forgettable.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #11815
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

You know how I know that nobody should take your opinion seriously? The fact that you didn't think it was poorly edited before reading some other person's opinion, and the fact that you didn't know who Sally Menke was yet claim her absence was tangible.

I'm sick of people saying the editing was bad. I guarantee 99% of them have no film criticism and analysis background, have no opinion on how to edit differently (other than something general like 'make some scenes shorter'), and can't even be bothered to learn the name of his past editor even though they're putting her on some pedestal. Raskin, who edited Django, has worked on Boogie Nights, Punch-Drunk Love, and worked under Menke on Kill Bill 1&2. He's clearly not a hack.

I saw people claiming some of the bounty hunting scenes were too fast and jarring... Oh yeah? Like that couldn't be an auteur choice to edit a scene to make it feel fast and jarring like a gunfight would be?

Did the editing blow me away? No. Were there a few small things I'd change? Sure... But at the end of the day QT had the final decision anyway. The editing was serviceable since you understood the plot, and knew what was going on.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #11816
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
You know how I know that nobody should take your opinion seriously? The fact that you didn't think it was poorly edited before reading some other person's opinion, and the fact that you didn't know who Sally Menke was yet claim her absence was tangible.

I'm sick of people saying the editing was bad. I guarantee 99% of them have no film criticism and analysis background, have no opinion on how to edit differently (other than something general like 'make some scenes shorter'), and can't even be bothered to learn the name of his past editor even though they're putting her on some pedestal. Raskin, who edited Django, has worked on Boogie Nights, Punch-Drunk Love, and worked under Menke on Kill Bill 1&2. He's clearly not a hack.

I saw people claiming some of the bounty hunting scenes were too fast and jarring... Oh yeah? Like that couldn't be an auteur choice to edit a scene to make it feel fast and jarring like a gunfight would be?

Did the editing blow me away? No. Were there a few small things I'd change? Sure... But at the end of the day QT had the final decision anyway. The editing was serviceable since you understood the plot, and knew what was going on.

What a bunch of nonsense. My opinion is invalid because I read some other peoples opinions before writing my own? That's a non sequitur if I ever heard one. I would like you to explain why my lack of experience in editing major motion pictures has any bearing on my ability to judge a film. If I think a film was poorly put together that's just what I think.

If you're going to have a movie be this long then everything in it should have a purpose. I didn't say it was all bad but the interesting parts were scattered throughout the film. The dialogue wasn't really that great either. I mean just look at the trailer, "I like the way you die boy". Is this what passes for witty dialogue today? What a bunch of dreck.

Yes I understood the plot but there was just so much gratuitous violence. It's not that it bothers me but why do I want to watch it for a quarter of the film? It's not interesting in the least. It's not creative and it adds no meaning to the film. It's a waste of time. Tarantino needs to grow up.

Last edited by RoseCity07 : 12-28-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #11817
DMV2
NBA All-star

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I finally saw The Dark Knight Rises recently. 6.5/10. It wasn't as good as the Dark Knight. Anne Hathaway sucked in it.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #11818
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:

Most of my post was just venting in general, not necessarily at you. But:

Your opinion on editing is invalid because you couldn't discern good from bad editing until you read someone else's opinion and just posted it here.

I didn't say you had to have editing experience. I said you have to understand how to analyze a film better. You can't just say, "BAD EDITING!" and give no examples or actual criticisms.

Look at your criticisms:

- If you think the dialogue was weak, that's not an editing problem.

- If you think there were boring parts and it was too long, in a Tarantino movie, most of that is on the script*. There were subplots cut out of the final movie and it was still this long. Editing down another 5 or 10 minutes would still leave it at over 2.5 hours. That would've helped a few scenes, not the majority of the movie if you were bored throughout.

- Having too much violence is not an editing problem. That's a special effects and script problem.

* Lengths of his movies

Rd 1:40
PF 2:35
JB 2:35
KB1/2 4:05
IB 2:35
DU 2:45
Old 12-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #11819
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm surprised at the high ratings for Lawless. I found it really boring. The only entertaining scene is when ol' dude walks down the street with a tommy gun. The action wasn't really there and the overall story felt flat. Just like Inception, another movie ruined by a woman being made too central to the story. 6/10

Lincoln - 8/10

I actually want to watch it again. I had heard it was boring but i found the casting to be great and the dialog to be really compelling.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #11820
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Most of my post was just venting in general, not necessarily at you. But:

Your opinion on editing is invalid because you couldn't discern good from bad editing until you read someone else's opinion and just posted it here.

I didn't say you had to have editing experience. I said you have to understand how to analyze a film better. You can't just say, "BAD EDITING!" and give no examples or actual criticisms.

Look at your criticisms:

- If you think the dialogue was weak, that's not an editing problem.

- If you think there were boring parts and it was too long, in a Tarantino movie, most of that is on the script*. There were subplots cut out of the final movie and it was still this long. Editing down another 5 or 10 minutes would still leave it at over 2.5 hours. That would've helped a few scenes, not the majority of the movie if you were bored throughout.

- Having too much violence is not an editing problem. That's a special effects and script problem.

* Lengths of his movies

Rd 1:40
PF 2:35
JB 2:35
KB1/2 4:05
IB 2:35
DU 2:45

I think Django is not too long but it feels a big disjointed no? The pacing is strange, there are times you want something to happen, and times when too much is freaking happening for too long. It was enjoyable but i can see people questioning editing if their point is that some things should be shorter or longer. I myself would say i question the pacing of the film and the decisions made in that way.

I liked it more than Inglorious Bastards. I think i go into his films with way too much expectation though.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: