Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #11836
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

74%

This movie seems like it reads better than it comes across on the screen. It was solid and intelligent, but none of the performances, save Hellen Mirren's did anything for me.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #11837
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

8/10
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:03 AM   #11838
clipse026
Local High School Star

clipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected poster

Jack Reacher - 7/10

I don't really have a problem with Cruise. He played the part well and it was an entertaining action movie. I've never seen Rosamund Pike before but god damn . Her cleavage was very distracting. Also Robert Duvall was pretty funny in his small part. And it was cool to see Jai Courtney outside of his role as Varro in Spartacus.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:47 AM   #11839
Graviton
The Last Alpha Lion

Graviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Django Unchained - 9.5/10

I was skeptical about this movie and wasn't impressed by the trailers, read the negative reviews and expected crap, but DAMN Tarantino delivered again. I will never doubt him from now on.

Award worthy performances by 4 different people, didn't know Fox could be so badass. What to expect - the classic sharp, humorous and witty Tarantino dialogue, sweet action sequences with impressive sound effects and display of brutal yet entertaining violence, and AMAZING musical choices. Some of the soundtracks were just perfectly integrated with a scene. Movie had so many "HOLY SHIT I GOTTA REWIND THAT!" moments, it was just a perfect mix of comedy, action, charm and a lot of heart. I will definitely buy it on blu-ray.

Can't wait to see what Tarantino got next, hope he at least makes 2 more movies before retiring, he has said he wants to quit before losing his way and making shit like most Hollywood directors. You can tell he really loves crafting films to entertain the audience.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #11840
Dasher

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Reading the script before going to Django dinged the film a bit, as what was on paper blew away what was on the screen.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #11841
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Skyfall - 6.5/10

That old lady was terribly annoying and i hated every moment she was on screen, especially when she talked. The only reason to watch this movie is for Javier Bardem. The dude is such a great actor and its always a treat to watch him on screen. I can't believe i still haven't watched "Biutiful." Other than enjoying his acting, everything else about the movie is your standard action flick. Nothing more or less. Watching it once is enough. I like Daniel Craig, but as i'm ready for a new bond. I have heard people suggest Idris Elba; that would be awesome.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #11842
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Reading the script before going to Django dinged the film a bit, as what was on paper blew away what was on the screen.

Perhaps that's just a bad way to experience a film unless you are a producer or director.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #11843
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I felt the same way when I read Inglorious Basterds' script months before it came out on screen. Maybe not blown away, but it definitely had a lot of extra great dialog and a lot of extra scenes that would have been cool to have watched.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #11844
Dasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Perhaps that's just a bad way to experience a film unless you are a producer or director.
For me its the best way. I have found that it elevates the viewing experience. You see the director's vision, actors audibles, and editors influence clearer.

Editing out Hildi's backstory removed the emotional heft from the movie. Django's transformation from a slave who was so meek, to a badass of McClainian proportions was left on the cutting room floor. As was the best scenes that explained why Stephen really hated Django so much.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #11845
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
For me its the best way. I have found that it elevates the viewing experience. You see the director's vision, actors audibles, and editors influence clearer.

Editing out Hildi's backstory removed the emotional heft from the movie. Django's transformation from a slave who was so meek, to a badass of McClainian proportions was left on the cutting room floor. As was the best scenes that explained why Stephen really hated Django so much.
Ive always felt that QT would make an outstanding novelist.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #11846
Dasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Ive always felt that QT would make an outstanding novelist.
Django was 178 pages long. It might as well have been a novel.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #11847
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
I felt the same way when I read Inglorious Basterds' script months before it came out on screen. Maybe not blown away, but it definitely had a lot of extra great dialog and a lot of extra scenes that would have been cool to have watched.

You're not experiencing the film as itself that way. You're less likely to be fully transported by the story, if you
A. know where it's going.
B. are worried about what got cut out of the script.

It seems like you're watching the movie to watch the filmmaking and not the film.

When you talk about what gets cut out of the movie, ask yourself why they cut it out. It could be keeping that stuff in, whether it's great dialogue or a fuller backstory would actually make the film worse. And there's lots of ways this could happen. It could

A. Make the film too long.
B. Make the film too slow
C. Throw off the rythym of the movie.
D. Make some scenes redundant, because the audience can get information in other places.

A lot of stuff gets cut out a movie, because it simply doesn't work.

Lots of times, writing out something like a fuller backstory is helpful for the writer to figure out the story and for the actors to appreciate the character, but doesn't need to be part of the final story.

You're going to be prejudging the movie itself, by knowing the script. I think reading the script after a first viewing and then watching the movie again would be more rewarding in terms of looking at the filmmaking. Also seeing the movie first might make you think parts of the script were unnecessary.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #11848
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Saw Zero Dark Thirty.

An odd movie, more downbeat than you would expect. Reminded me of Coppola's The Conversation.... about a lonely professional doing her job without joy. You would think it would have an uplifting ending but no.

Parts are great, pacing is so strange. Jumps years and years and chooses to dwell on certain moments in an almost naturalistic way. Also it's basically a needle in the haystack movie, and the beginning does not really do a good job about showing the haystack, it feels like the whole movie is seen through hindsight. Lots of context is just missing. Once they narrow down the haystack to about 2009, the movie really picks up. Also it was rumored to a be a pro Obama propaganda movie when it was set for release around 9/11, but it's anything but that at all. Politics is almost entirely absent from this movie as is the IRaq War
Old 12-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #11849
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

Quote:
You're not experiencing the film as itself that way. You're less likely to be fully transported by the story, if you
A. know where it's going.
B. are worried about what got cut out of the script.

It seems like you're watching the movie to watch the filmmaking and not the film.

When you talk about what gets cut out of the movie, ask yourself why they cut it out. It could be keeping that stuff in, whether it's great dialogue or a fuller backstory would actually make the film worse. And there's lots of ways this could happen. It could

A. Make the film too long.
B. Make the film too slow
C. Throw off the rythym of the movie.
D. Make some scenes redundant, because the audience can get information in other places.

A lot of stuff gets cut out a movie, because it simply doesn't work.

Lots of times, writing out something like a fuller backstory is helpful for the writer to figure out the story and for the actors to appreciate the character, but doesn't need to be part of the final story.

You're going to be prejudging the movie itself, by knowing the script. I think reading the script after a first viewing and then watching the movie again would be more rewarding in terms of looking at the filmmaking. Also seeing the movie first might make you think parts of the script were unnecessary.
None of what you say is wrong. Sure all that has to be taken under consideration. However, to only look at it that way.. it would be, a narrow-minded view.. If foreknowledge is a problem.. then why are there so many films that are re-watchable? Why are they not spoiled by knowing already what will happen? Its because there are so many things involved when watching and experiencing and analyzing a film.

More important than anything is attitude and expectation.. those two things are usually the biggest deterrence when it comes to enjoying a film that holds merit.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #11850
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Saw Zero Dark Thirty.

Where'd you catch it?

Finally caught Oldboy after it being in my netflix que forever.

8.2/10

What a f*cked up, well-directed, entertaining flick

Don't want to get into any specifics because it will ruin it for anyone here who hasn't seen it. So I'll just say this- I don't see the need for a remake but since Spike Lee is already in post production with this, I hope they don't water down the story and content to appease the mainstream audiences. Lee called his version a 'reinterpretation' of the story, which probably means they cut the original's balls off and repackaged it with American actors. But we'll see, maybe I'll be surprised.

Also caught In the Name of the Father.

8/10

Daniel Day Lewis was Daniel Day Lewis as usual. Pete Postlethwaite was great as Giuseppe. Not much more to say, really solid flick.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: