Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #11851
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Where'd you catch it?

Finally caught Oldboy after it being in my netflix que forever.

8.2/10

What a f*cked up, well-directed, entertaining flick

Don't want to get into any specifics because it will ruin it for anyone here who hasn't seen it. So I'll just say this- I don't see the need for a remake but since Spike Lee is already in post production with this, I hope they don't water down the story and content to appease the mainstream audiences. Lee called his version a 'reinterpretation' of the story, which probably means they cut the original's balls off and repackaged it with American actors. But we'll see, maybe I'll be surprised.

Also caught In the Name of the Father.

8/10

Daniel Day Lewis was Daniel Day Lewis as usual. Pete Postlethwaite was great as Giuseppe. Not much more to say, really solid flick.
Love In The Name of the father. Great movie--very affecting; might be because I'm Irish, that movie always gets to me.
ZD30 is only playing like 5 theaters in the Country right now, it opens wide jan 5th. It's just playing ny and la, so it can qualify for the Oscars. Saw it in the east village.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 PM   #11852
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

John Dies At the End - 8/10

Just a fun movie from start til end. Can't wait to watch it again while lit, it must be even better then.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #11853
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer

AboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
John Dies At the End - 8/10

Just a fun movie from start til end. Can't wait to watch it again while lit, it must be even better then.

Looked at IMDB. Will watch, sounds intriguing.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:49 PM   #11854
TheeBeast
Local High School Star

TheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this board

Killing Them Softly: 7/10
TheeBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #11855
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation here

Up- 9/10

I can't believe it took me so long to see this. There is something about the first 10 minutes or so but I couldn't hold back tears. I haven't shed tears like that in a while.

Not the best story ever told by any means but there are some nice bits of dialogue in the film. Disney is starting to get their stuff together. I wish the score was a bit better but it didn't make it any less entertaining.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #11856
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Love In The Name of the father. Great movie--very affecting; might be because I'm Irish, that movie always gets to me.
ZD30 is only playing like 5 theaters in the Country right now, it opens wide jan 5th. It's just playing ny and la, so it can qualify for the Oscars. Saw it in the east village.

I almost drove to the city myself to see it last weekend. I decided to hold out until next week.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #11857
Kobe681
Great young streetballer

Kobe681 has decent reputationKobe681 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
For me its the best way. I have found that it elevates the viewing experience. You see the director's vision, actors audibles, and editors influence clearer.

Editing out Hildi's backstory removed the emotional heft from the movie. Django's transformation from a slave who was so meek, to a badass of McClainian proportions was left on the cutting room floor. As was the best scenes that explained why Stephen really hated Django so much.

Watched the movie yesterday, I thought it was great.

Can you please fill me in on those bolded parts? Would be fun to know what was left out.
Kobe681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #11858
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe681
Watched the movie yesterday, I thought it was great.

Can you please fill me in on those bolded parts? Would be fun to know what was left out.

Here's the official script to Django: http://twcguilds.com/assets/screenpl...screenplay.pdf

During the scene where Django was beaten by the Brittle brothers, Django was making love to his wife. The Brittle Bros. pulled him out/off of his wife and raped her. Django was forced to watch her get raped and beaten.

Hildi's story was a bit on the brutal side. She was sold to a family who wanted to use her as a stand-in wife type figure for their son. Hildi through force of will and guile manipulated her way to a power position in that particular relationship. Everything was going swimmingly until her Boyfriend/Master took her on a night on the town to Greenville, Mississippi to the Cleopatra Club where Candie conned her Boyfriend/Master to losing Hildi in a card game. When the B/M tried to beg his way out of the losing Hildi he was killed by Candie. A naked Hildi tried to run, but was dragged a way kicking and screaming.

After the shootout, Hildi was raped by the fella who fondled Django's balls while he was tied upside down.

Django privately humiliated Stephen. He smacked him around, doused him with a bucket of water, and while Stephen was cowering, Django told him that Stephen was his n*gger now, and would answer to his beck and call at any time.

Without Hildi's scenes Django Unchained is just a boy saves princess movie set in the south.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #11859
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

End of Watch - 3/10 ???

I watched this movie fully once, and this was my second time watching it. I rewatched it because i see others rating it as good, even though the first time i saw it i thought it was pretty bad. Well i can confirm its pretty bad. Not only are the two main character awful at portraying real cops, but the whole thing came off like a dark parody of Southland. Corny jokes, violence that only a teenager would find entertaining, and overall just a bad movie.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #11860
EoJ

EoJ is popular on this boardEoJ is popular on this boardEoJ is popular on this boardEoJ is popular on this boardEoJ is popular on this board

Perks of being a Wallflower, Very good movie, Great acting. 8.5/10.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5rh7O4IDc0

Link to Stream: http://www.movie2k.to/The-Perks-of-B...e-2250643.html
EoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #11861
BuffaloBill
Blue Bomber

BuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Django Unchained = 9.9/10

Easily the best movie I watched in 2012. Was well worth paying money to see, and I'll probably go see again later on today. This movie is what movies supposed to be, entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoJ
Perks of being a Wallflower, Very good movie, Great acting. 8.5/10.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5rh7O4IDc0

Link to Stream: http://www.movie2k.to/The-Perks-of-B...e-2250643.html

I've been wanting to watch this
BuffaloBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #11862
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Safety Not Guaranteed - 8/10

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #11863
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
End of Watch - 3/10 ???

I watched this movie fully once, and this was my second time watching it. I rewatched it because i see others rating it as good, even though the first time i saw it i thought it was pretty bad. Well i can confirm its pretty bad. Not only are the two main character awful at portraying real cops, but the whole thing came off like a dark parody of Southland. Corny jokes, violence that only a teenager would find entertaining, and overall just a bad movie.

You know I saw End of Watch in the theatres over the summer, and gave it a decent review on here. I saw it immediately after seeing The Master. Maybe it hit well because it was so easily accessible. Even then I don't recall giving it a great review, and I also remember including some pretty heavy complaints, mostly revolving around the inclusion of a Mexican Cartel that was involved in Human Trafficking for reasons that made no sense, nor were ever really tried to have sense made of them.

I sort of dug it for it's gimmicky camera approach. And it naturalist feel. The best moments I felt were the one off elements that weren't related to a larger plot. The house fire. Finding the kids in the crackhead's house. Just the day to day police stuff in an awfull neighborhood was enough of a show for me.

But when it got re-released into theatre's this fall, I walked by it's screening when I went to see Killing Them Softly, and all my memory's of it were weaker than I recall. The awfull plot line, the rediculous gang bangers, were much more in my mind than the parts I liked, and I'd probably rate it lower in retrospect.

Oddly, I believe I gave Killing Them Softly a similar review, but was more negative about how I talked about it. And I think that has to do with expectations. I walked into End of Watch to kill a few hours before meeting a friend for dinner, I really hadn't intended to see it, and I liked it more than I expected to. Killing Them Softly I'd been planning on seeing since the first seeing the poster. Got more interested upon seeing the trailer. Moreso still after reading about who was involved. I coolled down a bit when the reviews were tepid, but I didn't read any of them, just going off the tomato meter. And I wound up being disappointed.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #11864
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

I don't think i've seen Killing Them Softly yet, i'll have to check it out.

Heat - 9/10

Got damn, Pacino/Dinero are amazing. If i had three wishes, i really think one would be to return these two men to their youth, because they'd reward me with great films like this. "A guy told me one time, "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."" Dope line.

And the shootout scene, got damn! That was a heavy scene.

Any recommendations for similar films? Not so much cop/heist action, but just great acting.

The Shawshank Redemption 10/10

Another film i had not seen before despite it being the top rated film on IMDb, and i'm happy to have finally seen it. Amazing film, good story, nothing to dislike.

Seeing Morgan Freeman, Denzel, Pacino, and Dinero all old is sad because i can't think of anyone to take their place in delivering amazing performances on a regular basis. Daniel Day comes to mind.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #11865
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I don't think i've seen Killing Them Softly yet, i'll have to check it out.

Heat - 9/10

Got damn, Pacino/Dinero are amazing. If i had three wishes, i really think one would be to return these two men to their youth, because they'd reward me with great films like this. "A guy told me one time, "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."" Dope line.

And the shootout scene, got damn! That was a heavy scene.

Any recommendations for similar films? Not so much cop/heist action, but just great acting.

The Shawshank Redemption 10/10

Another film i had not seen before despite it being the top rated film on IMDb, and i'm happy to have finally seen it. Amazing film, good story, nothing to dislike.

Seeing Morgan Freeman, Denzel, Pacino, and Dinero all old is sad because i can't think of anyone to take their place in delivering amazing performances on a regular basis. Daniel Day comes to mind.
Movies with DeNiro and Pacino to watch:

The Godfather I & II, Mean Streets, Serpico, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, The Deer Hunter, Glengarry Glen Ross, Dog Day Afternoon.. Etc...

Theres A LOT of good stuff out there..

Some other great actors that have good early stuff is Harvey Keitel, Martin Sheen, Dustin Hoffman, Paul Newman..

Its just all about looking them up and giving them a shot. I know most people dont really like to delve into films way out of their time period.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: