Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #11911
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
After Earth

4/10

Why would you put yourself through the torture of watching that?
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #11912
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Gravity 7/10

It was good, wonderful visuals. **** space is scary. But the movie annoyed the hell out of me on multiple occasions. Sandra Bullock's character continuously did a lot of stupid shit that didn't make any sense for a person with her apparent knowledge to be doing. I can't remember them exactly at the moment, but throughout the film i remember many scenes annoying me. It was crazy how that dudes face was just gone with a hole right through it!
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:35 AM   #11913
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

Season 1 of The Sopranos was amazing. If it maintains this, then it will easily be my favorite show ever. Part of this might be cause I'm just a big fan of mob dramas.

First two episodes of season 2 started slow but they set up some nice storylines that are gonna come up big soon
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #11914
1987_Lakers
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
Season 1 of The Sopranos was amazing. If it maintains this, then it will easily be my favorite show ever. Part of this might be cause I'm just a big fan of mob dramas.

First two episodes of season 2 started slow but they set up some nice storylines that are gonna come up big soon

first two seasons were the best, the quality drops after season 3.
1987_Lakers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #11915
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
I should've gone to sleep, but I was thinking about Gondry, watching old music videos he had made, and then stayed up to watch:

I don't really know what to say. I'd probably give it a 6.8/10 on my very tough scale. There was some great stuff, some great camera tricks and effects, some great dialogue, some great moments, a few chuckles, and some painful stuff... But I leave undeniably 'meh'. I doubt I'd watch it again.

Basic plot: A f*cked up guy moves back to France and falls for his neighbor. He's weird and can't tell dreams from reality. She doesn't want a boyfriend, but he falls for her. Yada yada yada, misunderstandings, self sabotage, and hurt feelings.

This just reaffirms what I already thought, Gondry has some issues writing his own stuff. Direction-wise he's at the top of the game, but when he's writing his own stuff it leaves something to be desired (along the lines of a Wes Anderson).

This movie suffers from an unreliable narrator/protagonist. I understand that's the entire point of the movie, the meshing of reality, dreams, and perception, but it leaves you in a place where you aren't sure where you stand... Again, I know that's the point, but it doesn't work for me.

The act structure is off and there's not quite an ending. Not particularly a problem, but it didn't work as a selling point in this.

Direction B+
Writing C-
Acting B-

I'd rather watch Be Kind Rewind or Eternal Sunshine. Be Kind Rewind has some similar issues (he wrote it), but was overall more endearing and enjoyable.

By the way if you're a fan of his, his new movie 'Mood Indigo' has been chopped by a half hour for every country that's not France. From 2:10 down to like 1:37... If we even get to see it at all.

I had a very similar response to that movie. There were things about it that I loved. But in the end I just wasn't thrilled. I love that Charlotte Gainbourg. There's part of me that thinks I got really turned off to the whole experience when he made fun of her ****ed up teeth, and it effected my entire opinion of the things. But then again that moment has stuck with me so much that it must have been pretty powerfull.

I just watched the first three episodes of Black Mirror, the British mini-series that is getting so much hype right now because DirecTV is airing it. It was pretty awesome. Kind of a futuristic Twilight Zone that focuses on the possible perils of technology. Really well done.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #11916
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
first two seasons were the best, the quality drops after season 3.

i disagree. I think sopranos got better as it went along.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #11917
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
i disagree. I think sopranos got better as it went along.

I agree with you. And I didn't in the moment. I was less happy with it week to week over the years as it went on, but after buying the whole series on DVD a few years back and rewatching it over the course of 6 weeks or so, I feel like it got better as it went along.

The first few seasons are great too. But season one is very much playing on the gimmick of Mob Boss / Dad, and you get a few too many episodes that feel like "what if a mob boss had a kid playing on the freshman football team", that don't really contribute to the larger story.

Season two I felt like was really starting to come together, but with the mother dieing (she lived near a friend of mine and was a old pain in the ass), it felt like they were regrouping.

After that the introduction of foils was done better than anyone else before or since to me. Ralphie, Richie April, etc. Every year the conflict felt natural without being on the nose wops and robbers stuff.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #11918
TheSilentKiller
NBA Legend

Very interesting film. Would love to discuss it with anybody who has seen it. I'd probably give it a 7/10
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #11919
alenleomessi
W

carlito's way 9/10
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #11920
Thorpesaurous

I saw The Hobbit last night in the huge BTX 3D cinema with my buddy and his kids, who are 6 and 8.

I'm certainly something of a Tolkien Dork. How much? Well, I read The Hobbit my Sophomore year of high school. I wasn't much of a reader, and as such often struggled a bit in lit classes. I just couldn't read fast enough. And as such, often didn't like the classes, even though in retrospect reading and analysing is right in my wheel house. But I loved the book. That summer I discovered The Lord of The Rings Trilogy, and devoured the whole thing as summer reading. Four years later in college I had to take a second level lit course, and they offered a class called The Inklings, which was the name of a lit discussion group in Britain that included Tolkien, CS Lewis, and a bunch of other big time fantasy writers. Partly I took it because I thought I'd already read the books, so I could skate a bit. I wound up reading them again. Then when the movies were announced, I read the series a third time (and I rarely read a book more than once), and was one of those awesome guys at midnight showings. Although not in costume.

And with all that, I never got around to watching the first Hobbit movie. The reviews were iffy. The controversy over the FPS thing weirded me out. And as much as I read TLotR, I hadn't read The Hobbit in over 20 years, and I just wasn't that compelled.

Now all these years later, I'm up at my buddies house, Fellowship (which I think was the best one) comes on TNT one night, and catch a bunch of shit from his wife because I'm watching it with the kids and she thinks they won't sleep because of the Orcs and the Wring Wraiths, but instead they think it's awesome. They've since seen all of them, and now ask me questions about guys who are sons of other guys that I really can't remember in the moment.
The Hobbit comes out on cable, and they get totally into that, and now the commercials start for this second hobbit, and they want to got opening night dressed as Bilbo and Gandalf, which were their holloween costumes.

Not one to deny a kid a good time, I agree to take them, but again their mother thinks the 3D will be too much. What she didn't know was that by forbidding the 3D, she just made my pitch that it was cooler make more sense.

Overall the movie was good. Visually they continue to do really cool stuff. The long shots they do are some of the best in the business. I find some of the special effects to look too animated in all of the series, but I suppose they can't do a practical effect of a guy surfing a dead orc down an elephant trunk. It was a little connect the dott-ish, going from one harrowing spot on the trip to another. A lot of it seems designed to work in 3D, which makes it not work in more practical ways, meaning there's more lunging toward the camera and such than there should be in a well balanced visual story, but that's ok. I do feel I have to go back and watch the first one because I didn't remember as much of the story as I had hoped. But in spite of the rich language, it's not rocket science. We were all a little disappointed there wasn't more Gandalf in it. It's a little rediculous that they teased out a 250 page book into what will probably wind up being 8 hours of movie. But again, whatever, it was fun.

I'd give it a high 70s, maybe a low 80s just for a good 3D experience. And the kids gave it a "That was Awesome!!! Let's go get slices and chicken bones", which if I were a filmmaker doing The Hobbit, that would mean a hell of a lot more to me than what some jaded 35 year old thinks. I do wish they'd be thinking that when cutting together a 2 and a half hour movie though. We had to make piss runs twice.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #11921
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Cool story Thorpe... But about that bit I quoted, nothing pisses me off more than choreographed and designed 3-d stuff. Holy shit it's cheesy. It's basically mugging for the camera to me, breaking the 4th wall, and flat out annoying.

There's nothing worse than watching a shot for 3-d bit when it's in 2-d on tv or in a different theater. My friend and I found two tickets for that shitty Brendan Frasier movie 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' a few years ago so we went. We saw it in 2-d and the theater was empty so every time one of those horrible choreographed bits happened we yelled, "3-D!"

Can't help it, I really don't like 3-d.

Generally I agree. But like most technology, it's just gonna take a while for the really creative people to put it to real use.

It basically won an Oscar for Last of the Mohican with blue guys. I liked it in Life of Pi. But Gravity to me has been the movie that's really used it to its greatest potential so far. I don't want it to be every movie. But there's been moments.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #11922
BRabbiT

3/5
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #11923
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

The Raid: Redemption 8/10

GOAT action. I'd understand the plot even without subtitles (Indonesian movie) tho
But fight scenes are so damn good...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:49 AM   #11924
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

3rd season of The Sopranos has been my favorite so far. Already 2 classic episodes and I'm only four episodes in. Loving this
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #11925
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I agree with you. And I didn't in the moment. I was less happy with it week to week over the years as it went on, but after buying the whole series on DVD a few years back and rewatching it over the course of 6 weeks or so, I feel like it got better as it went along.

The first few seasons are great too. But season one is very much playing on the gimmick of Mob Boss / Dad, and you get a few too many episodes that feel like "what if a mob boss had a kid playing on the freshman football team", that don't really contribute to the larger story.

Season two I felt like was really starting to come together, but with the mother dieing (she lived near a friend of mine and was a old pain in the ass), it felt like they were regrouping.

After that the introduction of foils was done better than anyone else before or since to me. Ralphie, Richie April, etc. Every year the conflict felt natural without being on the nose wops and robbers stuff.

That's the great thing about the show- it has the best rewatchability (is that a word?) of any drama I've personally scene, by a huge margin. It wasn't a show that relied on any sort of gimmickry or plot for that matter. The writing was so dense and diverse (ranging from comedy and drama to undertones of the supernatural) that you miss a lot the first time around. The more you watch, the more you pick up that you overlook originally.

I felt that Season 3 and 4 were lacking as compared to 1&2 the first go through. But after rewatching the series I gained a new appreciation for them, even for 6A which I hated outside the first 3 or so episodes first time I saw it. 'Christopher' is a terrible episode though, doesn't even feel like the same show.

I just got through the bulk of principal photography on my first short film (wrote, produced, directed, and starred in) this past weekend. It's only 20 pages or so, shot it in 3 days, worked like 12-14 hrs per day. Had a skeleton crew who took weed breaks like every hour. Safe to say I have a new respect for anyone who tackles a 120 page monster script. Great learning experience, might do a ISH only screening some time early next year when it's done so you guys can rip into it
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: