Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #11926
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Cool story Thorpe... But about that bit I quoted, nothing pisses me off more than choreographed and designed 3-d stuff. Holy shit it's cheesy. It's basically mugging for the camera to me, breaking the 4th wall, and flat out annoying.

There's nothing worse than watching a shot for 3-d bit when it's in 2-d on tv or in a different theater. My friend and I found two tickets for that shitty Brendan Frasier movie 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' a few years ago so we went. We saw it in 2-d and the theater was empty so every time one of those horrible choreographed bits happened we yelled, "3-D!"

Can't help it, I really don't like 3-d.

I like it in the IMAX theater but it's annoying at home. I was watching the Disney/Jim Carrey Christmas Carol this weekend and it has a couple terribly "made for 3D but are awful at home scenes" that just really brought the movie down.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #11927
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Don Jon 7.5/10

The Place Beyond the Pines 8/10. End disappointed me after loving the rest of the movie.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #11928
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Don Jon 7.5/10

The Place Beyond the Pines 8/10. End disappointed me after loving the rest of the movie.
I have been told that the main character in that is based on me. Havent seen it yet, so no idea if its a compliment or insult.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #11929
highwhey
PBS Media

9/10
Great movie, one of my new favorite films.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #11930
clipse026
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Don Jon 7.5/10

It's funny, the end of the 1st half or so disappointed me but I actually really liked the end of the movie. Either way it impressed me and was much better than I was expecting. 9/10'd it.

This isn't a movie but I just watched the most recent (4?) season of Luther on BBC. Why the **** can't they make a season last longer than 4 damn episodes. John Luther is awesome but it's always just a tease and it's over in a flash.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #11931
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Anchorman 2 - 8/10. It is strange trying to rate this movie. I laughed my ass off, yet at the same time I felt it was a disappointment that dragged on too long. The disappointment obviously comes from my love for the 1st one. I love the characters so much but the humor just felt like it was 80% as funny as the first one. If the original didn't exist, I might have liked it more. Part of me wants to give it an 8.5 or 9 based on how much I laughed, but the disappointment factor drags it down. For the record, the original in a top 3 comedy for me (along with The Jerk and Tommy Boy).
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #11932
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

World War Z 7/10. Expected it to be a lot worse and was watching just for Brad but it was actually pretty entertaining and fun
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:49 AM   #11933
BRabbiT

4/5

entertaining, strong acting, plot could've been tighter though.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #11934
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Don Jon - 8/10

I was expecting something goofy, but this was a real film. I know just about every guy that saw this could relate to it to some extent. JGL did a great job diving into the details of a guy with such an issue. I felt this to be just as powerful as Shame (w/Fassbender). I like how at one point it looked like the main issue was just going to be his addiction, but then they dive even further to point out the reality within the relationship, and how it wasn't what he thought he remembered it as (i know they did that in 500 Days of Summer - but this was more about learning not to beat yourself up even after you **** up, because the way she acted like a bitch towards him could have easily warped his perspective of himself when it comes to love and damaged future relationships for him, but the red head is there to anchor him). I can relate to beating myself up and missing someone who really, despite many qualities, treated me like unless i molded myself to their will, i wasn't doing anything right. I enjoyed this film and recommend it to any guy. Especially young men (twenties).
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #11935
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Dallas Buyer's Club: 8.5/10

Saw a screening of this this past week that was followed by a Q&A wit Leto. Both he and McConaughey(sp?) should both be front runners for awards, especially Leto since his field is less competitive. It wasn't only the extreme weight loss (both guys lost at least 30 lbs), but they embodied their characters, Leto was completely unrecognizable and utterly believable as an Aids patient pre op tranny. And Matthew retained that Southern good old boy charm even when he was displaying some old fashioned bigotry. I loved how it didn't turn into the sappy bad guy turned magically good Hollywood tripe, even as his character evolved and grew, it was a gradual process and he still retained some of his old ways and world views right up till the end. They managed to retain comedy throughout despite the heavy subject matter. Very tightly directed.

The whole thing was shot in 25 days with no studio lights, no rehearsal. I'm sure it was a grueling process, especially throwing in the extreme weight loss both stars endured. But the end result was worth it, I'm sure they all feel the same.

DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #11936
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

The Devil's Advocate - 8.5/10
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #11937
alenleomessi
W

thor, iron man 1,2,3 all were around 7.5-8
the avengers 8.5
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #11938
Draz
The People's Choice

Don Jon - 7.5 / 10
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #11939
AI Thornton
Homage to Al Thornton

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
thor, iron man 1,2,3 all were around 7.5-8
the avengers 8.5

You found all 3 Iron Man movies to be in the same range? Part 1 is so far ahead of 2 and 3.
AI Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #11940
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
Don Jon - 8/10

I was expecting something goofy, but this was a real film. I know just about every guy that saw this could relate to it to some extent. JGL did a great job diving into the details of a guy with such an issue. I felt this to be just as powerful as Shame (w/Fassbender). I like how at one point it looked like the main issue was just going to be his addiction, but then they dive even further to point out the reality within the relationship, and how it wasn't what he thought he remembered it as (i know they did that in 500 Days of Summer - but this was more about learning not to beat yourself up even after you **** up, because the way she acted like a bitch towards him could have easily warped his perspective of himself when it comes to love and damaged future relationships for him, but the red head is there to anchor him). I can relate to beating myself up and missing someone who really, despite many qualities, treated me like unless i molded myself to their will, i wasn't doing anything right. I enjoyed this film and recommend it to any guy. Especially young men (twenties).

Agree with this. I found it to be better than expected.

Up next for me.....Fruitvale Station.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: