Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #11956
clipse026
Local High School Star

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

In Bruges 8/10

Didn't expect it to be hilarious. I loved Colin Ferrell's rants about midgets. Also "you're a ****ing inanimate object".
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #11957
knickballer
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipse026
In Bruges 8/10

Didn't expect it to be hilarious. I loved Colin Ferrell's rants about midgets. Also "you're a ****ing inanimate object".

One of my favorite films

Pontypool(some netflix random) 7/10- Not a bad movie at all.
Don Jon 8/10- Funny and entertaining
The purge 2/10- Horrible Movie. Beginning was okay but became a major failure
Shame 6/10
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #11958
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
One of my favorite films

Pontypool(some netflix random) 7/10- Not a bad movie at all.
Don Jon 8/10- Funny and entertaining
The purge 2/10- Horrible Movie. Beginning was okay but became a major failure
Shame 6/10

I randomly watched Pontypool one nigh because the cable description was compelling and it had 3 stars according to the at & guide, and was pleasantly surprised.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #11959
clipse026
Local High School Star

Saw 2 movies today and was going to watch Wolf of Wallstreet but I didn't think I could handle 8 hours of movies.

Catching Fire - 8/10 So much better than the 1st. I'm not genuinely curious as to what happens with Katniss that I will probably read the trilogy before the last movie.

American Hustle - 9/10 That Jennifer Lawrence is so hot right now. She's probably going home with another oscar for this one. Best movie I saw this year (that I can recall). Really well done movie. Pretty much every supporting character did a great job.

I wanted to see Her but didn't realize it's not out yet. I guess next time I'll have to watch that and Wolf.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:32 AM   #11960
irondarts

8.5/10

Wow, what a wonderful film. Very funny and heartfelt. Bruce Dern and Will Forte were very good. Odenkirk was good as well, but June Scuibb stole the show for me. She was absolutely hysterical. Probably my favorite film I've seen so far this year. I was going to see Inside Llewyn Davis after, but had other stuff to do, perhaps another time.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #11961
Thorpesaurous

I went into work early yesterday, and managed to get out in time early enough to swing a double feature, and get the rest of my day done.

I started with a 10:20 of The Wolf of Wall Street. Based on what I had read, I would've considered skipping it, but I just have too long and too fond a history with Scorcese to put too much weight into a aggregate score.

At the end of the day, it was good, but not really close to great in my mind. You can still feel Scorcese at the helm. Absolutely no one has a style quite as definitive. The quick cuts of these weirdly precisely framed shots are basically a fingerprint. And there's a couple long tracking shots that are also signature pieces.

But as much as I hate to throw out cliche talk like this, to me it was a fact that these characters had no heart. The voice over, the journey from bottom to top, and even stylistically from the camera to the costuming, this movie is evoking Goodfellas. But Goodfellas totally romanticized it's subjects. They were clever, funny, and loyal (at least in spurts). Their relationships felt much more fleshed out.

This just lacks a lot of that. The shennanigans are on full blast. And they're done exceptionally well. But rather than be there as a means to demonstrate the level of debouchary we're dealing with here, they sort of become the point of the whole thing. Jordan's (Leo) relationship with his first wife is almost non-existant. Donnie is all antics without any of the depth of Joe Pesci's characters in any of Scorcese's movies.
And the thing is is that none of this would be a problem in and of itself, but at nearly three hours, it feels like there should've been more depth. Even the scheming part of it was thinner than the Luftansa heist in Goodfellas, and even that wasn't as if it was the focus of the movie.
Also, it's a small gripe, and it's not as if Scorcese is known as a big action director, but in a movie that among it's faults, was gorgeously assembled in terms of sets and costumes and staging and framing, the sequence with Boat going down in the storm looked about 20 years behind the times.

Leo's wife is a Hall of Fame naked chick on screen in a major movie for what that's worth.

Overall, I'd give it a low 80s. Certainly worth checking out. Especially if you're into stylized craziness going down, and fast talking sheistery. But if you're making a choice, American Hustle is by far the better Scorcese movie this winter (and it's such an homage to his style that I'm comfortable saying that).

I then went grocery shopping to put together a very elaborate stew and mac and cheese for Football Sunday. I had Veal, Lamb, Rabbit, and Filet. And while boiling down the beef broth, wine, worsterchire stock, it got away from me, and burnt it, and ruined the whole thing.

So pissed off I went drove the half hour to my nearby criterion theatre to check out Inside Llewyn Davis. Scorcese and The Coen's in one day is some pretty serious film watching. I was in a pretty sour mood after ruining a hundred dollars worth of meat, and sitting down in a less than state of the art theatre (I love the place, because they show all the hard to see stuff for me, but really ... no reclining seats?) to see a movie that is at best melancholy, and at worst, just plain dark, maybe wasn't a great idea. But turns out it was great. It's got such a focused short story. It covers something like 5 days in this guys life. But it touches on all these huge themes. Aging. Fatherhood. Death. Friendship. And Llewyn is smart and funny, and so obviously wounded by the loss of his friend, that it actually took a while to realize that in a lot of ways he's just an asshole.

But more than anything it's a journey with this guy as he suffers trying to figure out who he is. He's partner is gone. His lusts after his friend's girlfriend who hates him. He seems to hold his actual friend in some contempt. He isn't known as this half of a whole that he was known as. And the whole time he clings to this cat, as if it is his identity.
As with a lot of Coen films, it's chock full of symbolism, and for me at least warrants a second viewing at least, and is the type of thing I could see myself falling down any number of internet rabbit holes discussing it's meaning. And it does all this while maintaining a very coherent in time narrative. I think it will get a lot of comparison to their film A Simple Man, because of it's one off character study, and overall somber tone. But it's probably closer to Oh Brother, not only because of the music, but because of the undertones of mythology. It's also got some Barton Fink in it, who was also an artist going through a crisis, and adventuring to try to rediscover who he is as an artist.

Just a really good experience, that I absolutely know isn't for everyone. I'd give it a low 90s.

In the end, Wolf probably has something to appeal to most audiences, but isn't great, while Llewyn probably wouldn't appeal to the majority of audiences, but if it's the type of thing you like, you'll be smitten with it.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #11962
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts

8.5/10

Wow, what a wonderful film. Very funny and heartfelt. Bruce Dern and Will Forte were very good. Odenkirk was good as well, but June Scuibb stole the show for me. She was absolutely hysterical. Probably my favorite film I've seen so far this year. I was going to see Inside Llewyn Davis after, but had other stuff to do, perhaps another time.

When I found Llewyn Davis playing at my nearby arthouse theatre, I was actually looking for Nebraska, which had been playing all week, and I was hoping to find a convenient showtime, but as is often the case at this place, it was just all of a sudden gone, and I feel like I missed out.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #11963
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

HER

F*cking fantastic. Did a truly remarkable job of making modern LA look like this sort of dystopian future land. Unreal in that regard, the lighting, the frame composition, couldn't believe I was looking at LA for much of it. Falling in love with AI may not be an original theme (what is?) but this was a highly original and creative story, full of life, humor, and conflict. One of the better movies I've seen in a while.

Secret Life of Walter Mitty

I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this. Visually great, cool locations/sets and seamless visual effects, story was fast paced and funny.

American Hustle

Fairly disappointed in this one. Passed on watching the screener because I'd heard good things and it looked like it would be worth the big screen experience. I thought it to be a little slow and I didn't really care about any of the characters. I think the awards buzz surrounding the cast is undue, Amy Adams is the only one who I thought really had a commanding performance.

Last edited by Lamar Doom : 12-29-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #11964
alenleomessi
W

mystic river 9/10
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #11965
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
I really want to see 'her' but I doubt I'll get a chance. It's nowhere within 60 miles of me.

My theatre was advertising Her coming soon. So I'm hopefully.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #11966
fsvr54
Bitch Hands

**** the movies, I'm not paying for garbage.

Saw Menace ii Society last night, fantastic.
fsvr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #11967
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Watched the Breakfast Club last night for the first time in years. 10/10 for me as it is one of my favorite movies ever. I've watch it every 3-5 years since the first time I saw it. It is one of those movies that I like so much that I save it for a rare rewatch so that it is still somewhat fresh every time I see it.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #11968
ZeN
Stormblessed

American Hustle - 8.5 / 10

There Will Be Blood - 10/10

The English Teacher - 7.5/10

Don John - 8/10

This Is The End - 8/10
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #11969
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

American Hustle - 9/10

The Hobbit part 2 - 9/10

Anchorman 2 - 7.5/10

Fruitvale Station - 7/10 - This could have been a lot better if they didn't make him look like such a saint the whole movie. Very doubtful that he was like that since he was in jail twice before 22. It made it unbelievable and not as dramatic as it could have been when he was shot.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #11970
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug - 7/10. Thought it dragged too long at certain parts. Legolas and Tauriel was pure fan fiction. If they shortened or got rid of it, the score would be higher.

47 Ronin - 6/10. Heard Hollywood execs ruined this movie. Could've been a great film.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: