Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-31-2013, 12:00 AM   #11971
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
I really want to see 'her' but I doubt I'll get a chance. It's nowhere within 60 miles of me.
It probably hasn't had its wide opening yet.

Movies like this open in a few theaters in December to qualify for the 2014 Oscars and then open wide later, like in February. I suspect it will get some Oscar nominations. I didn't know anything about this other than it was directed by Spike Jonze, but the trailer looks amazing.

I saw Dallas Buyers Club, Inside Llewyn Davis and American Hustle recently and of the three Dallas Buyers Club was easily the best. It might have been lower expectations though. Didn't know much about it, just heard it was good. I really enjoyed it.

American Hustle was fun, but I never really believed it. Or maybe by the end I didn't believe it. It was a bit of manic movie and Lord is derivative of Scorsese. The dynamics between the different characters was pretty interesting.

Llewyn Davis was probably the most disappointing. I'm a giant coen brothers fan, but I'm not sure why this movie was made. It's gorgeous, but it's melancholy to point of being depressing. It was cool seeing cafe reggio though, I had my first capuccino there in college. I also don't think they got the folk music scene right at all. You would think that a bunch of young people running around Greenwich Village in 1961 playing music would be having some fun, but not in this movie.

The Coens were inspired to use the Village folk scene as a backdrop after reading this guy's book. If you've seen the movie, here's an interesting take on it, from Dave Von Ronk's widow.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #11972
Königspinguin
LandValueTax=Future

The Hobbit: Desolation Of Smaug - 8/10
The Hunger Games 2 - 6/10
47 Ronin - 6/10 (Started out very good but then became somewhat of a letdown, but I like that type of movie so it still makes it into the upper half of the scoring system)
12 Years A Slave - 6/10 (not enough justice in the end)
A Serbian Film - 0/10
Pain & Gain - 5/10 (I usually like Mark Wahlberg movies, but this was just so so, I just felt indifferent about the humor)

Last edited by Königspinguin : 12-31-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Königspinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:39 AM   #11973
Draz
The People's Choice

The conjuring - 7/10
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:45 AM   #11974
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

Just got "rush" and "lone survivor" will rate after watching.
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:49 AM   #11975
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Fruitvale Station - 7/10 - This could have been a lot better if they didn't make him look like such a saint the whole movie. Very doubtful that he was like that since he was in jail twice before 22. It made it unbelievable and not as dramatic as it could have been when he was shot.
I didn't get that feeling at all. He cheated on his girlfriend, the scene where he tried to guilt his former boss into re-hiring him made him look kinda scummy and the mentions of his criminal past made it clear what kind of things he was involved in.

I thought the actress playing his mother stole every scene she was in. One of the best supporting performances I've seen so far this year.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:13 AM   #11976
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

A Simple Plan 7.5/10
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:15 AM   #11977
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Königspinguin
12 Years A Slave - 6/10 (not enough justice in the end)

Django Unchained might be the movie for you then.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #11978
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I didn't get that feeling at all. He cheated on his girlfriend, the scene where he tried to guilt his former boss into re-hiring him made him look kinda scummy and the mentions of his criminal past made it clear what kind of things he was involved in.

I thought the actress playing his mother stole every scene she was in. One of the best supporting performances I've seen so far this year.

The dumping of the weed into the ocean was a bit much. "Oh praise the lord! He's redeemed by ditching marijuana and loving his daughter! And all within a 2 hour period!!". I enjoyed the film, and it was very well done, but a lot of the character's actions were emotionally manipulative to have a more powerful and visceral reaction to the ending of the film.

Also, I'm fairly certain the woman that plays his mother won an Oscar for The Help. Maybe nominated... whatever. She's a very talented and empathetic performer.

Last edited by Randy : 12-31-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #11979
Breezy
Dunking on everybody in the park

Playing for keeps: Gerard butler is in it. I give it a 6 out of 10. Pretty cookie cutter but it still pulls at your heart strings a couple times.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #11980
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
It probably hasn't had its wide opening yet.

Movies like this open in a few theaters in December to qualify for the 2014 Oscars and then open wide later, like in February. I suspect it will get some Oscar nominations. I didn't know anything about this other than it was directed by Spike Jonze, but the trailer looks amazing.

I saw Dallas Buyers Club, Inside Llewyn Davis and American Hustle recently and of the three Dallas Buyers Club was easily the best. It might have been lower expectations though. Didn't know much about it, just heard it was good. I really enjoyed it.

American Hustle was fun, but I never really believed it. Or maybe by the end I didn't believe it. It was a bit of manic movie and Lord is derivative of Scorsese. The dynamics between the different characters was pretty interesting.

Llewyn Davis was probably the most disappointing. I'm a giant coen brothers fan, but I'm not sure why this movie was made. It's gorgeous, but it's melancholy to point of being depressing. It was cool seeing cafe reggio though, I had my first capuccino there in college. I also don't think they got the folk music scene right at all. You would think that a bunch of young people running around Greenwich Village in 1961 playing music would be having some fun, but not in this movie.

The Coens were inspired to use the Village folk scene as a backdrop after reading this guy's book. If you've seen the movie, here's an interesting take on it, from Dave Von Ronk's widow.

Thanks for that article. It was an interesting read. It actually echos a few things I thought too, that the movie was too dark for it's musical backdrop. But I got over that quickly because I think she's misplaced the purpose of the movie being about this music scene. To me this is really a parable about struggling to find yourself. The music scene is just drapery. And it's not really uncommon for Coens. It is interesting that she shed some light on the art in the Gorfein's apartment, because I sensed it must've had some deep symbolic meaning. Maybe it still does. But the notion that it's an homage to it's source material makes that less likely.

It's been a weird year in film. There's been a fair amount of quality stuff, but very little concensus. I loved American Hustle. I like the focus on the heist and the cartoonish characterizations. I felt Wolf dragged, wasn't focused enough on a narrative, and wound up just being too long a series of tone setting scenes of baccanal. And I liked Llewyn's dark tone, and short story approach to grieving. But everyone I talk to who's seen everything (which is a short list), has valid arguments for shifting the list around enough to make me want watch everything again. I was listening to Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan on Grantland last night review all of them, and both seemed to openly dislike Hustle. Andy had a similar feeling for Wolf as me, while Chris loved it, and had some really nice depth in his opinion, that went beyond just yelling cocaine!!!! And both of them were in reverence of Llewyn Davis. And one of the things I like about them is that while both have backgrounds in this review business, Andy really is a TV guy, and openly admits that film is such a different medium and not really his forte, and he in fact rarely sees this many films a year. Chris has less background, but appears a film buff, and seemingly is at the movies every weekend. Their taste isn't as uppity as their dialogue would make it seem, as they're not at all opposed to lighter fare. But they're smart enough to get good dialogue on stuff.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #11981
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

American Hustle 8/10

Last edited by KingBeasley08 : 01-08-2014 at 08:03 PM.
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #11982
Draz
The People's Choice

Savages - 5/10
The Conjuring - 6/10

The Conjuring was going fine, then it just drifted away for me. They could of done a better job.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #11983
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

It's that time of year when the SAG awards screeners start rolling in the mail. Got through 2 of them...

Blue Jasmine: 7.5/10

Cate Blanchett will probably win the lead actress category pretty easily. Don't know how that will translate come Oscar time but she really carried this thing. Played the slowly psychologically unraveling former socialite perfectly. Bobby Cannavale was solid as well. The story was a little lacking, would've loved to see more of the Madoff angle Baldwin's character was clearly based off, would've made for a more interesting line IMO. But it was the usual for Allen- quirky characters going through their everyday lives navigating relationships and such. Solid flick.

American Hustle: 7.8/10

Everyone from top to bottom was great as far as acting goes. Each actor brought something different to the table- Bale with his usual physical transformation (adding a good bit of weight, the combover, etc), Lawrence stole the show as his manic depressive and manipulative wife, Adams was solid, Cooper put in work, Renner had the charm and charisma, and I loved Deniro's short cameo. The characters leaned more towards farcical/cartoonish but I thought it fit with the more comedic tone Russell was going for this time out. The direction was solid, loved the smokey intro of the characters before the big dinner, that was a nice touch.

The problems with this were the flimsy and flat story. It tried to be Goodfellas lite for a huge portion with the various voice overs, the setting, and even some of the camera work. Just felt like an unfinished script that was rushed through production. Could've used some tweaking and expansion in certain areas.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #11984
outbreak

American Hustle - 7/10

Wasn't anywhere near as good as people have been saying, had an odd flow and felt a bit slow and uneventful. Everyone was great in it except for Jennifer Lawrence though, how she wins awards when she just plays the same role every movie is beyond me.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:47 AM   #11985
AI Thornton
Homage to Al Thornton

Jingle All The Way 6/10 quality, but 8.5/10 effect.
AI Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: