Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #12076
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Wolf has sat with me better than I expected it to. I gave it a so so score when I reviewed it in here, I think a low 80s. But it's kind of stuck in my craw, moreso than American Hustle, which in the moment I definitely liked more.

What Lonestar is saying up there makes more sense even than this is just a good drug movie. In retrospect, and I got this with some research, the movie is really shown from the perspective of Leo's character, so it is in fact disjointed and out of place and focused on some things more than it should be, because that's how the character is seeing things. It's given away in his to camera monologues. And it's flat out said in the scene where he talks about the technical end of what they're doing, and then says to the audience that we're not interested in that stuff (which is really sort of him talking to himself I think).

It looks great. It's certainly funny even just in a vaccuum. But I do still, even after mulling it more, believe that it suffers from some missteps in pacing, even if some of it was on purpose, it's too much. But I do like in looking back the sort of quilted quality of it. Like they just shot all this debauchery as tonal stuff, then sort of sewed it together, patchwork like, like an addict looking back and telling this story, but the recollection is spotty and uneven.

It absolutely warrants a second viewing. And I don't think it's Scorcese's best work or even close, nor do I think it's really in the best stuff this year, although with the expanded field it fine as a nominee as I think it's close.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #12077
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

A Fistful of Dollars- 9/10: Clint fvcking Eastwood. First old spaghetti western that I've seen and can see how Django was influenced.

Her- 9/10: Joaquin Phoenix is one of the best actors in Hollywood. Also, amazing script and beautiful scenery

The Wolf of Wall Street- 9.5/10: My favorite movie of 2013. That was a fvcking blast. There were definitely scenes that could have been cut and parts could have been trimmed but don't blame Marty considering he had to trim 4.5 hours worth of film. DiCaprio had his best performance ever only after What's Eating Gilbert Grape. First time I think he should win the Oscar. Direction had Scorsese written all over this especially the lemmons scene which had me for 5 minutes. Really funny movie and the controversy is BS. Not sure why people think Scorsese was glamorizing this lifestyle. Thought it was pretty clear that these guys were messed up when you consider it was told through Belfort's point of view.
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #12078
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I'll be seeing Wolf of Wall Street on Sunday with Kevin Smith for his show Spoilers
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #12079
Draz
The People's Choice

Watching wolf tomorrow
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #12080
irondarts

9.5/10

I worked a very long day today but decided to go see this tonight after work despite being very tired. Very glad I went, what a wonderful movie. I agree with what thorp said about it a few pages back. I can see how it's not for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last edited by irondarts : 01-12-2014 at 01:21 PM.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:18 AM   #12081
redboy
Decent playground baller

i don't see how people can give wolf of wall street a 10/10
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:27 AM   #12082
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by redboy
i don't see how people can give wolf of wall street a 10/10
Only reason I had with it was that there were scenes that ran too long and you could tell there was some last minute editing that made those scenes stand out. If only Scorsese wasn't forced to cut it. I'd love to see the 4.5 hour director's cut someday
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:33 AM   #12083
redboy
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
Only reason I had with it was that there were scenes that ran too long and you could tell there was some last minute editing that made those scenes stand out. If only Scorsese wasn't forced to cut it. I'd love to see the 4.5 hour director's cut someday
with the way some people are rating the movie, you would have sworn that it was one of the greatest movies of all time or something. i don't know, i enjoyed the movie, but i feel like all popular things that it's over hyped. maybe it's just my opinion though
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #12084
ZeN
Stormblessed

August-Osage County - 9/10

Her - 10/10

Hustle and Flow - 8/10

Frozen - 8/10

Lilo & Stitch 2 - 5/10
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #12085
SkipToMyLou
Saw a basketball once

Riddick 2013 - 8/10
SkipToMyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #12086
Black and White
Auckland, New Zealand

Insidious - 6/10
Black and White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #12087
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Philomena: 8.5/10

I wasn't planning on seeing this, it was on the bottom of my list for awards season. The previews made it seem like it would be a light-hearted, 1 liner quips deal. Couldn't have been more wrong. There are some serious gut-punch moments and it is heavily dramatic, although it does have a good deal of comic relief strewn throughout. They also tackled a lot of issues mostly centered around religion and the dark History behind the convent system and their handling of young pregnant 'sinners'.

It was nice seeing Dame Judy play someone who was not regal or in a position of power. She played Philomena as a lovable, warm, and naive grandmother type. Her and her co star Coogan, who was also solid, had great chemistry.

Definitely one of the better films out now.
DonDadda59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #12088
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59

Philomena: 8.5/10

I They also tackled a lot of issues mostly centered around religion and the dark History behind the convent system and their handling of young pregnant 'sinners'.

No wonder you rated it so high then

Never heard of it. I'll have to check it out. Good to know Judi Dench is still making quality movies. I guess at her age, that's all she would accept.

I watched Notes On A Scandal not too long ago and there was some fantastic acting by everyone involved but Dench was on another level.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #12089
irondarts

Her - 10/10

Stunningly good. Visually it's an absolutely gorgeous film. There's such broad and complex messages conveyed in this film but it's also a charming and humorous story. The writing is gorgeous and the acting is superb. It's so well done and lovely. And to me it was a flawless film. It'll be absurd if this doesn't win Best Picture. I've seen most of the projected Oscar movies and nothing is even in the same ballpark as this in my opinion.

Last edited by irondarts : 01-12-2014 at 07:16 PM.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #12090
Ed Wachter
'10-13, '15

9.5/10
Ed Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: