Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #12076
EricGordon23
Good college starter

EricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Warm Bodies 7/10

What to expect when your expecting 7/10
EricGordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #12077
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Revolver: whaaaaaa?/10- So this came up on Netflix as a recommendation because I watched Snatch recently. This movie is nothing like Snatch except for Jason Statham and his inner monologue.

This movie was such a mash up, and such an obvious attempt at being artsy that it's just a pile of garbage. There were cool moments no doub, but none of them made sense. It was complex seemingly just for the sake of being complex.

But to call it complex is a misnomer too. It's not, and then it is, and then you can see the ending, and then you have no idea what's going on, etc. It plays like this the whole movie. It is possible that it all made sense if I just paid real close attention but here's the problem: it didn't do enough to hold my attention so much that I would see these things it wanted me too.

But I'm convinced that it just doesn't make sense. I'm not sure how threads come together, I'm not sure who is what and why; it tries to play like Ocean's did, thrusting you into this already built world of crime, but it doesn't work in this one because they mention things that end up just being arbitrary and adding to the muck.

And the ending: OH MY GOD THE ENDING! It's so predictable you won't understand why they just spent an hour trying to confuse you from what should be your first suspicion. The whole thing about one's ego and thew whole... I just... I can't.

This was a terrible movie. It seemed like the director/writer thought he was so clever, but it really turns out he's not. Not in this one.

Last edited by Timmy D for MVP : 02-14-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #12078
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Great find Pauk. I am a fan of Spielberg and I never even knew his gem existed. I'm watching it now and so far it already looks better than 90% of his other stuff.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #12079
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP

Revolver: whaaaaaa?/10- So this came up on Netflix as a recommendation because I watched Snatch recently. This movie is nothing like Snatch except for Jason Statham and his inner monologue.

This movie was such a mash up, and such an obvious attempt at being artsy that it's just a pile of garbage. There were cool moments no doub, but none of them made sense. It was complex seemingly just for the sake of being complex.

But to call it complex is a misnomer too. It's not, and then it is, and then you can see the ending, and then you have no idea what's going on, etc. It plays like this the whole movie. It is possible that it all made sense if I just paid real close attention but here's the problem: it didn't do enough to hold my attention so much that I would see these things it wanted me too.

But I'm convinced that it just doesn't make sense. I'm not sure how threads come together, I'm not sure who is what and why; it tries to play like Ocean's did, thrusting you into this already built world of crime, but it doesn't work in this one because they mention things that end up just being arbitrary and adding to the muck.

And the ending: OH MY GOD THE ENDING! It's so predictable you won't understand why they just spent an hour trying to confuse you from what should be your first suspicion. The whole thing about one's ego and thew whole... I just... I can't.

This was a terrible movie. It seemed like the director/writer thought he was so clever, but it really turns out he's not. Not in this one.

Yeah, that movie felt like a bad Guy Ritchie knock off, not an actual Guy Ritchie movie. Before I saw Revolver, I was really hoping Ritchie would become a can't miss director for me like Tarantino and Nolan. You probably saw it already, but if you loved Snatch, you will also love Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels. RocknRolla was also pretty darn fun.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #12080
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
Lost In Translation is a top 5 movie of the decade...I think it's brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
top 5 movie for me, nothing quite like it in English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wang Zhi Zhi
This one of my favorite of all time

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #12081
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:

If you put the movie in context and understand the egos that are driven by the main character (every other supporting character is his own multiple egos), you will see how great this movie really is.

For example, the con men (his two buddies) are personalities he possesses to make sense of the situation he is in (getting out of prison, finding meaning, etc).

Throughout the movie he recites the strategy of a chess game:

"The greatest enemy will hide in the last place you would ever look."

"The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent. – Fundamentals of Chess

"First rule of business, protect your investment."

"There is no avoiding war, it can only be postponed to the advantage of your enemy. "

"Every game or con there is always an opponent and always a victim. The trick is to know when you’re the latter so you can become the former."

He is talking about himself, that the greatest battle he has to overcome is the enemy within (which is played by Ray Liotta) who is the fear that drives him on the path of corruption and wrong doing.

In the end, Ray Liotta points a gun at him threatening to kill him, but instead of fighting he ask for forgiveness for the wrong doing he has done to him.

This act in itself allowed him to conquer Ray Liotta (since he is the fear ego, his destruction is in love and compassion); he then pouts and as much as he tried to pull the trigger, he couldn't; his own existence has been compromised.

You just got to look deeper in the movie to understand it's complexity; it is quite literally the most intellectual movie I have ever seen. If you can't grasp this complexity, of course like my gf, you will hate it.

If you understand it, it is easily a top 5 film of all time.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #12082
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

My favorite ego in the movie is Mr. Gold. You never see him, but you always hear about him; he is the strongest mob boss in the movie. What he represents is our spiritual side. The "God" ego in us. This is why Ray Liotta (fear ego) was scared sh*tless when he screwed over Mr. Gold. Notice how Mr. Gold is only concerned about the destruction of Ray Liotta.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #12083
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
If you put the movie in context and understand the egos that are driven by the main character (every other supporting character is his own multiple egos), you will see how great this movie really is.

For example, the con men (his two buddies) are personalities he possesses to make sense of the situation he is in (getting out of prison, finding meaning, etc).

Throughout the movie he recites the strategy of a chess game:

"The greatest enemy will hide in the last place you would ever look."

"The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent. – Fundamentals of Chess

"First rule of business, protect your investment."

"There is no avoiding war, it can only be postponed to the advantage of your enemy. "

"Every game or con there is always an opponent and always a victim. The trick is to know when you’re the latter so you can become the former."

He is talking about himself, that the greatest battle he has to overcome is the enemy within (which is played by Ray Liotta) who is the fear that drives him on the path of corruption and wrong doing.

In the end, Ray Liotta points a gun at him threatening to kill him, but instead of fighting he ask for forgiveness for the wrong doing he has done to him.

This act in itself allowed him to conquer Ray Liotta (since he is the fear ego, his destruction is in love and compassion); he then pouts and as much as he tried to pull the trigger, he couldn't; his own existence has been compromised.

You just got to look deeper in the movie to understand it's complexity; it is quite literally the most intellectual movie I have ever seen. If you can't grasp this complexity, of course like my gf, you will hate it.

If you understand it, it is easily a top 5 film of all time.

Naw I got all that. It was painfully obvious from the jump.

It was just all pseudo-philosophy bullshit imo.

None of it plays consistently though, and there are random threads of information that don't get pulled through. I was half expecting a dream cop out actually because something like that was the only way to save the film and have it make sense. Like a poster above said it seemed like a Ritchie rip off. Almost like a movie made specifically to pander to pseudo intellectuals. It was just bizarre.

If this is the most intellectual movie you've ever seen... I'm sorry.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #12084
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

None of it plays consistently though, and there are random threads of information that don't get pulled through. I was half expecting a dream cop out actually because something like that was the only way to save the film and have it make sense. Like a poster above said it seemed like a Ritchie rip off. Almost like a movie made specifically to pander to pseudo intellectuals. It was just bizarre.

It seems like a Guy Ritchie ripoff.

No sh*t shelock. It's a Guy Ritchie film. As a psychology major, I would call this anything but pseudo bullsh*t. It explains clearly the complexity of the human mind. The only movie that even comes close to it is the Dark Knight and Fight Club.

Yes it doesn't make a lot of sense, but if you see it for what it is (all of this is going through his own mind), then I am sure you will appreciate it a lot more.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #12085
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
It seems like a Guy Ritchie ripoff.

No sh*t shelock. It's a Guy Ritchie film. As a psychology major, I would call this anything but pseudo bullsh*t. It explains clearly the complexity of the human mind. The only movie that even comes close to it is the Dark Knight and Fight Club.

Yes it doesn't make a lot of sense, but if you see it for what it is (all of this is going through his own mind), then I am sure you will appreciate it a lot more.

A guy Ritchie film shouldn't seem like a Guy Ritchie ripoff.

OH NO PSYCHOLOGY MAJOR?

Doesn't change the single fact that it was, seemingly at least, a poor attempt at injecting intellectualism into a movie. Even if it all worked... which... it didn't, as a non-psychology major I am familiar with all of the stuff they were talking about so it can't be too advanced... it doesn't change the fact that the movie was a mess, the acting was substandard, and everything was way too forced.

There are so many other films that take place or supposedly take place inside someone's head, and are in a similar vein, that are much better AND far less pretensions. Bad movie is bad dawg.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:02 AM   #12086
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
As a psychology major, I would call this anything but pseudo bullsh*t.

As a pre-doctoral psychology intern, I would call this movie crap.

It has been years since I have seen it, so I couldn't get into all the things I hated about it, I can just say that I did. I'm glad you got more enjoyment from it than I did.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:24 AM   #12087
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Flight

8/10

Good flick, but a little more depressing than I expected.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #12088
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

I'm going to have to go ahead and give a third to the notion that Revolver sucked. Timmy D has it pretty spot on.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #12089
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

First, you can't call something a "rip-off" when it was made by the same person to begin with. You are basically saying, "Guy Ritchie copied his own style in this movie. It feels like a rip off, although it is made by the same person." You know how stupid that sounds.

Second, aren't you the same dipsh*t who has been ranting and raving about the Avengers. The f*ckin Avengers. Really. That is like the worst superhero movie I have seen since the first hulk. Acting sucks, plot sucks, the superheroes have absolutley no chemistry; and it doesn't make sense to have all of them in the same universe at one time. If they were in different parts of the US all this time, wouldn't they have heard of one another by then. Nothing makes sense in this movie. The CGI isn't even that great because it has been done and seen before. Some fans are raving about how Hulk looks a bit shinier. Whoopti f*ckin doo. Still looks like the same pile of green sh*t to me. And don't get me started on that Hawkeye guy. It's like wow we can't even think about another superhero, so let's get some random guy to hold a bow and arrow because, y'know, that sh*t is cool and it reminds me of Robin Hood. But let's change the name up and call him Hawkeye, get it, he has eyes like a Hawk. Let's also throw in Scarlett. I don't know who to cast her. I know. Let's make up a catwomen rip-off so she can be in those tight leather pants. Lame.

This movie sucks and so is your taste.

Last edited by IamRAMBO24 : 02-14-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #12090
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
This movie sucks and so is your taste.

You have such a way with words.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: