Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #12091
MasterMaster
Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts

Her - 10/10

Stunningly good. Visually it's an absolutely gorgeous film. There's such broad and complex messages conveyed in this film but it's also a charming and humorous story. The writing is gorgeous and the acting is superb. It's so well done and lovely. And to me it was a flawless film. It'll be absurd if this doesn't win Best Picture. I've seen most of the projected Oscar movies and nothing is even in the same ballpark as this in my opinion.
I didn't expect this movie to get this high of a rating. Impressive.
MasterMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #12092
JohnFreeman
Lovely stuff.

Layer Cake
9/10
Lawless
8/10 (Shia Lebouf is terrible)
Children of Men
10/10
JohnFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:06 AM   #12093
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wachter
Nosferatu
9.5/10
I ordered the Blu-ray of this and it should be coming in this week. I can't wait to watch it again. Despite it being such an old movie, it still 100% works as a horror.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:51 AM   #12094
Draz
The People's Choice

You guys making me want to see her lol
Draz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #12095
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

The Spectacular Now - 9/10

That and Perks are so similar and I love it.

If anyone has any suggestions on similar movies let me know.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #12096
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I saw Her over the weekend, and loved it.

It was a late afternoon, like 4:15 showing on a miserable New England Januarly Saturday. I had worked all day, 5 to 330, which is a long day even for me on a Saturday.

I was surprised how crowded it was. It's gotten a pretty full release. So it wasn't like everyone was crammed in the same theatre, and it wasn't the 7 show.

I was expecting melancholy, and got it in great detail. But what surprised me was just how funny it was. I've always had a great fondness for this sort of not so distant view of the future brand of Sci Fi. Particularly when it's this reflective. And the use of this just out of reach technology is used as a mirror to ourselves emotionally, but they don't drape the thing in sadness, which is what I expected. There's some amusing one off lines that are comedically reflective of who are now. (This would've made a great episode of the British TV series Black Mirror, which I totally encourage people to see, which basically means stealing from a torrent at this point.)
And you get to experience the whole relationship. The Scar Jo OS is new technology, so you really get to experience the whole thing, which was really great.

Scarlett is amazing as the disembodied Samantha. Incredibly without ever appearing on screen, she become the most attractive woman in film for me this year (no small feat with this year being my first introduction to Margot Robbie in Wolf of Wall Street).

I did see where it was heading because of my familiarity with a certain author the movie brings up to start the third act, who I won't mention so as not to force other people like me to go look him up, because I would have to even if I knew it would serve as a spoiler of sorts.
I thought the thing looked spectacular. The pallet was so intentional, that I'm certain there's more meaning than what I got from it. Everything is covered in metallic gray / blue, and unnaturally natural wood, with Juaquin Pheonix's Theodore always, and I mean seemingly ALWAYS in reddish orange. Pheonix runs through a gammit of emotions, and is playing a naturally repressed character, and is in a single word remarkable at it, especially coming off of The Master, where he was basically a walking Id.

I wouldn't say it was perfect. Maybe I'm getting old, but it feels like everything was underedited for me this year. Wolf was a smorgasbourg of hedonism that felt like it was too much fun to make that they went overboard setting that tone. American Hustle took too long to circle back to that opening scene to me. At two hours this isn't especially long, but it's also a film that is little more than a conversation between a man and a woman who's in his pocket connected to an earpiece. So there was a "fun date montage", or two, that could've been trimmed in my mind.

It's not for everyone. It's got more than a sad edge to it. And the mechanism of this conversation takes work to fully appreciate. But I did and give it a low to mid 90s. Certainly among my favorite movies of the year. I feel it's been a really good year, although I don't think there are absolute masterpieces, there's at least 5 genuine classics. Hustle, Wolf, Her, Llewyn Davis, Gravity. I didn't see 12 Years a Slave, or Captain Phillips. And off the top of my head, I really enjoyed Side Effects at the start of the year.

I would like to address my movie going experience if I may. I get there pretty early, and sit in one of the side aisles that are four seats only. It was relatively busy, but not crazy. There were two girls two rows in front of me, and no one behind me. Eventually the girls asked to move into my row because there was crap on their seats or something.

Anyway, I'm in the second to the last row. And ten minutes late, some guy show up with his girl, and sits right behind us. He's immediately cracking wise, and she's giggling, so I know he isn't gonna stop. This guy just isn't going to be able to enjoy this experience. Which is fine, but worse, he's not gonna be able to stop griping. He snickered and cracked wise the entire time. On the way out, he rushed out, then turned around to poll the audience as the they left, and ask people how they could like that movie. I told him I did like it, and that I'm not surprised he didn't because the type of person who can't watch a 2 hour dialogue is generally a guy who can't stand to not hear himself talk for 5 minutes. He called me a toughguy and the whole deal, but he was this little italian guy, probably pushing 50, about 5-5. Not what I expected honestly. I was expecting some 25 year old dressed like Lone Survivor. It didn't escalate because the other people in the theatre, including the two girls sitting with me, all called him a jackass too. He said we were all "sad sack losers", and stormed off, presumably to buy graphic t- shirts.

Generally speaking I love the movies, but people really need to understand what they're going to see.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #12097
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Wolf of Wall Street 9/10

Loved every minute of it. And I saw it for Kevin Smith's Spoilers show, but didn't get to sit on stage (may be on TV for a side portion that was filmed). Was fun getting to chat with Jason Mewes on and off for a few hours though. He is exactly the same in real life as he is in the movies and other appearances he does.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #12098
alenleomessi
W

25th hour
8.5/10
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #12099
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Wolf of Wall Street 9/10

Loved every minute of it. And I saw it for Kevin Smith's Spoilers show, but didn't get to sit on stage (may be on TV for a side portion that was filmed). Was fun getting to chat with Jason Mewes on and off for a few hours though. He is exactly the same in real life as he is in the movies and other appearances he does.

180min long, how did you manage?
East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #12100
Patrick Chewing
King of the 5 Boroughs

Gravity - 9/10

A visual spectacle. Thought it was going to be a boring flick, but it proved me wrong.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #12101
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Nice Review Thorpe. I just saw the preview for Her last night and it looked really interesting.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - 6/10

Some fans were reviewing it as life changing on IMDB but it lacked that feeling for me. The idea is great, the message is positive, and I can totally relate to not being a risktaker and using my thoughts/fantasies to experience life, but it just didn't really speak to me. Critics are saying that it lacked substance, and I agree with that.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #12102
eurobum
High School Varsity 6th Man

What are your top 5s of 2013?

5. Prisoners / Grand Central / Northwest
4. Her
3. Mud
2. Man of Steel (the Superman movie I've been waiting my whole life for)
1. La Grande Bellezza ("The Great Beauty") ... masterpiece, resurgence in Italian cinema. By Paolo Sorrentino.

Trailer with English subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJfvX6zPAuQ
eurobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #12103
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

The Wolf of Wall Street - 8.9/10

Grudge Match - 8.0/10
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #12104
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by East_Stone_Ya
180min long, how did you manage?

I love dark humor, great film work, great acting, and amazing soundtracks.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #12105
D-Rose
Da Mavs

Hobbit part 2 - 8/10

Pretty good film. Better than the first, ending was rather tense and well done. Looking forward to the 3rd!
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: