Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #12166
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Les Miserables was a chore to sit through. What a waste of what I think were good sets except that I couldn't tell because nearly every damn shot was a close-up of an actor's face. Anything scene that didn't have Hugh Jackman in it was unbearable. Too damn long.

The best picture noms, IMO:

1. The Life of Pi
2. Argo
3. Django Unchained
4. Beasts of the Southern Wild
5. Zero Dark Thirty
6. Amour
7. Lincoln
8. Silver Linings Playbook
9. Les Miserables

I'd go

Pi
Beasts
0 D 30

Django
Argo

Lincoln
Silver Linings

And I haven't seen Amour or Les Mis. I'd like to see Amour, just haven't gotten to it, while Les Mis I have no interest in.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #12167
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I can't get used to these expanded Best Picture nominations.
KevinNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #12168
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
I can't get used to these expanded Best Picture nominations.
It's fine as long as it gives great smaller movies like Beasts more attention when it might have been overlooked by inferior but mroe hyped stuff like Les Mis or SLP in a 5-movie race.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #12169
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Well I think pictures like Les Mis wouldn't even make the list.

Also what did you think of the last song in Les Mis? That's the one that stuck in my head.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #12170
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Well I think pictures like Les Mis wouldn't even make the list.

Also what did you think of the last song in Les Mis? That's the one that stuck in my head.
I was in a stroke-like stupor by the end of that movie. The only songs I really remember are Anne Hathaway begging the audience to cry for her, the decently catchy one about the red flag or something, and Russell Crowe not sucking for once during **SPOILERS** Javert's suicide. Oh and Sasha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter in their first song that seemed like it lasted for 20 goddamn minutes. Every scene with them was excruciating.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #12171
D-Wade316
F***

D-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputation

Javert's fall sounded like pumpkin getting squashed. So many godawful directional choices in the film.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #12172
D-Wade316
F***

D-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputation

Magic Mike - 4.5/10

Half baked characters. Lacking in drama.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #12173
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I saw Miller's Crossing for the first two two or three days ago. Byrne is good but really not a very good film. Tone is off. Visually it's very plainly abrasive, lacking in subtlety. It's pretty much a gangster satire, wrapped in some black comedy and old-style romanticized Hollywood gangster and nostalgic novelty. Altogether, it just lacked.

I also rewatched Glengarry Glen Ross and Punch-Drunk Love. Both are great. Punch-Drunk Love is better but both were top 10 films of their year. Pacino got a well-deserved nod but I wonder if they tried pushing Lemmon as the lead...I think it's a clear ensemble (albeit a somewhat small one), with no one really standing out. Lemmon is as good as he's ever been. Ed Harris is also terrific. Pacino is just...so good.

Sandler does very well in Punch-Drunk Love and Emily Watson is terrific, as I remembered. Paul Thomas Anderson deserved a director nomination...he's conducting an orchestra. Terrific.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #12174
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
I saw Miller's Crossing for the first two two or three days ago. Byrne is good but really not a very good film. Tone is off. Visually it's very plainly abrasive, lacking in subtlety. It's pretty much a gangster satire, wrapped in some black comedy and old-style romanticized Hollywood gangster and nostalgic novelty. Altogether, it just lacked.

One of my favorite Coen Brothers movies. Still quote it regularly. It's just a completely different style from realism and if you are expecting that it can be jarring.

Love the Jon Polito character, Johnny Caspar, who I think you might be thinking of when you mention abrasive. However, I love the tone of it too, totally love the stylized dialogue and stylized acting and look of the movie. Subtlety is definitive not what they were going for is some scenes, but those scenes also exist among scenes like this which is among the most exuberantly filmed gangster scenes ever. You could tell how much fun they had putting this scene together and it works fantastic with the music.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3m...s#.USuqFqJ-kig

I keep my slippers facing away from bed just like Albert Finney so I can save some time, in case anyone is coming to bump me off.

The only criticism I would make of it, is there were a couple of dolly shots where they rushed to a close up that don't work for me....yes a bit abrasive...but they weren't enough to take me out of the movie.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #12175
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I re-watched Miller's Crossing recently after seeing it years ago. I remember thinking that it was decent but nothing memorable. This time I enjoyed it a lot more, not sure why, exactly. It doesn't belong in the upper echelon of great gangster/crime movies but it's definitely worth a watch.

To each his own though. Kevin I loved that scene too.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #12176
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
One of my favorite Coen Brothers movies. Still quote it regularly. It's just a completely different style from realism and if you are expecting that it can be jarring.

Love the Jon Polito character, Johnny Caspar, who I think you might be thinking of when you mention abrasive. However, I love the tone of it too, totally love the stylized dialogue and stylized acting and look of the movie. Subtlety is definitive not what they were going for is some scenes, but those scenes also exist among scenes like this which is among the most exuberantly filmed gangster scenes ever. You could tell how much fun they had putting this scene together and it works fantastic with the music.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3m...s#.USuqFqJ-kig

I keep my slippers facing away from bed just like Albert Finney so I can save some time, in case anyone is coming to bump me off.

The only criticism I would make of it, is there were a couple of dolly shots where they rushed to a close up that don't work for me....yes a bit abrasive...but they weren't enough to take me out of the movie.

The Coens aren't always the most subtle. They've become hip in the last few years but that doesn't change that they're one of the most unique directors (strange sentence) ever. Always very inventive and distinct in their tones and framing approaches.

The film gets started a little too quickly for me. The music simply does not work for the film, in my opinion. I thought Finney was a little stiff, tho it may just be intentional. Turtturo is very good tho and Polito is hilarious. Such an interesting character too...genuinely ethical...except for the basic way of life and murdering stuff.

As always, the cinematography was great...check that, just looked it up...Barry Sonnenfeld...did not know that. I guess I forgot he was a cinematographer...tho I think I knew he worked with them.

But I think it's clearly more of a comedy than a lot of people and critics realize. Even the IMDB doesn't list comedy as one of its genres.

Forgot to mention that it's a bit of a film noir.

Last edited by Whoah10115 : 02-25-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #12177
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Stalingrad. 6/10, had the potential to be great but never realized it.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #12178
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I re-watched Miller's Crossing recently after seeing it years ago. I remember thinking that it was decent but nothing memorable. This time I enjoyed it a lot more, not sure why, exactly.

I think a lot of the Coen Brothers movies work better the second time you see them. It's because they hit you with so much information besides the story that they don't give you room to breathe sometimes. Miller's Crossing has all that old time slang to deal with along with some crazy characterizations and camera work. Big Lebowski works sooooooo much better the second time around, since the plot is far, far less important the attitudes of the characters. Oh Brother Where Art Thou works better the second time around as well. Fargo became their big hit because they lied to the audiences and said it was based on a true story....and because of that...the audiences were willing to put up with all the eccentric characters because they thought it was true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
The Coens aren't always the most subtle. They've become hip in the last few years but that doesn't change that they're one of the most unique directors (strange sentence) ever. Always very inventive and distinct in their tones and framing approaches.

The film gets started a little too quickly for me. The music simply does not work for the film, in my opinion. I thought Finney was a little stiff, tho it may just be intentional. Turtturo is very good tho and Polito is hilarious. Such an interesting character too...genuinely ethical...except for the basic way of life and murdering stuff.

As always, the cinematography was great...check that, just looked it up...Barry Sonnenfeld...did not know that. I guess I forgot he was a cinematographer...tho I think I knew he worked with them.

But I think it's clearly more of a comedy than a lot of people and critics realize. Even the IMDB doesn't list comedy as one of its genres.

Forgot to mention that it's a bit of a film noir.

I think they have always been hip, I think it's just that they became popular and audiences have caught up with them and willing to go along with them these days. They have also mellowed a little. They used to be criticized for being very cold about their characters (which was one reason audiences felt put off), but I think Marge in Fargo turned that around for them. It's definitely one of their most sympathetic portrayals. Fargo also had the craziness, but then it allowed you to breathe a bit and had some slower sections, as you mentioned Miller's Crossing gets set up super fast.

I also think Jon Polito is an amazing actor, but he has only seemed to have success in their movies. He does a great cameo in The Man Who Wasn't There where he tries to pick up Billy Bob Thornton.

Miller's Crossing is definitely a noir too. The story is inspired by Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett and some other Hammett works. Red Harvest also inpsired Kurosawa's Yojimbo and Fist Full of Dollars too. One of the reasons I like the Coen's is how they blend genres. The most stylized scene in Miller's Crossing could be considered horror.

I one saw Joel Coen and Frances McDormand power-walking in Riverside Park. I waited for about 15 seconds until they passed and said to my wife and said "joelcoenandfrancesmcdormandjustwalkedby" and then turned around and saw they were at a water fountain right behind me and could obviously hear me.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #12179
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Joshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation here

Argo 7/10. Imo, not as good as Gone Baby Gone or The Town. Didn't deserve Best Picture.

Life of Pi. 8.4/10. My pick for Best Picture (haven't seen Amour though).
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #12180
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Django Unchained: 9.5/10

I really enjoyed this movie, have no complaints whatsoever about it.
Bcogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: