Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #12241
Horde of Temujin
Operat.Northwoods=9/11

Horde of Temujin has decent reputation
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I Love You Phillip Morris. 65/100

Funny movie, Jim Carey being Jim Carey. I initially thought it was bullsh!t then i read up on it and found out most of the movie is true. It is an outrageous story.

The guy escaped prison countless times, conned his way to a CFO position, and faked his own death from AIDS to escape prison.

Warning for those who might take offense: it is a gay love story that revolves around prison, so you can imagine what that entails

Last edited by Horde of Temujin : 03-24-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Horde of Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:20 AM   #12242
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

3/5
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #12243
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
What are you talking about? I still download plenty.

There's a 6 strike anti pirating rule that has been implemented by big companies like Verizon, etc.. so I'm wondering if you guys use VPN's or their not that serious about it.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #12244
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade316
Wut? How about the House debates? TLJ owned those scenes.

I wasn't saying there were no scenes that drew me in. It was just that a majority of them did not.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #12245
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

yea lincoln disappointed me as well. it was executed more or less well enough, the problem was the idea in the first place. a larger than life figure like abe lincoln, played by a larger than life actor in ddl, deserves a much more broad based story than what was offered. the story of his presidency should have been told in chunks over 150 minutes or w/e, six or seven different periods over his life and/or time in office that showed his personal growth, the shifting trends of the country, stuff like that

the 14th amendment stuff just felt really anticlimactic, like an irrelevant microcosm of the life's work of a man who did so much more in tumultuous times. instead the audience was treated to a host of tactics and political maneuverings to get enough votes and stall the peace and this or that, with cardboard villains who lie and distort pitted against the prudent virtuous heroes who tell it like it is, etc etc

iunno it wasn't horrible but 6/10 sounds about right if only for what it wasn't yet had the potential to be

anyway the last movie i saw was On the Road. i've never read the book and whenever i see a film adaptation of a novel i wanted to read, i inevitably wind up regretting it. the first 15 minutes were an amazing trip and i was really jazzed and then the next two hours or so dragged on a little bit. the format was actually exactly what i wish lincoln had of used, about six or seven 20 minute chunks over the course of 18 months and eventually 10 years.

i thought it could have been better but the acting was great, the tunes were cool, snappy dialogue and characters of varying stripes sorta bouncing off one another. made me research a bunch about all these beat generation legends and what they wound up doing over the past 60 years, then relating that information back to how they were portrayed as youngsters in the film. so that was fun.

i'd give it a 8/10

Last edited by RidonKs : 03-24-2013 at 11:15 PM.
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #12246
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Anybody seen 'This Is 40'? If so, how was it?
NoGunzJustSkillz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #12247
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Les Miserbles: 6/10- I cried. I admit it. I denzel teared it up during the survivor's guilt bit.

And then about 10 minutes later I didn't care. And there's the problem with this movie. You can sense the potential it has, it has a good story, but not such a great story that you can phone in the acting and it'll still be great.

See the acting is all decent I suppose (barring Jackman who was good every time on screen) and it has an epic tale to draw from, but never does it any justice. I have never seen the original musical but I assume this is a direct port so I can't lay blame on this film but what I can say is that this film never gets past being just okay.

I was bored. And the only times I weren't bored were when you could see the scope of things.

Which brings me to another point: if this is an adaption of a stage show then WHY THE FUCK is nearly ever shot right up the nose hole of some actor? What's the point of the gorgeous expanded sets if they never show them? You have two choices when making a movie adaptation of a stage show: 1) Stay true to the stage show by limiting fancy scenes and stuff thus giving the effect of the theater or 2) expand the scope of the show in a way that the stage never could.

This movie said fuck that noise and decided to instead give a you a closed vantage that did neither.

Oh hey speaking of bad decisions: turns out Russell Crowe can't sing... huh... well lets cast him in a role where he has to sing pretty much the whole time. Not only that but they were singing live. He sounds like he's crying the whole time. I mean Hathaway was out of her league too but Crowe was far most noticeable since he was there the whole damn movie.

The music in general was not my favorite. Now this is a matter of personal taste, but I really feel like most of the songs blurred together. I am myself a musician, I love oldl school musicals like the Music Man or Guys and Dolls, I like rock operas like Jesus Christ Superstar, and I have seen about 3 operas straight through, and played selections from shows myself. So this isn't a matter of being out of my element, but I found little in this score that did anything for me. You have to take my word but trust me when I say that coming from me that's a big ass deal!

And the Inn Keeper bits were terrible.

I was really close to not liking this movie but a couple things saved it. The first was that it's based on a pretty epic story. The second was Hugh Jackman, dude that played the lead revolutionary, and most surprisingly Amanda Frog-Face. And the final thing was that when they did show you the full sets they were fantastic.

I wouldn't recommend. It's too long to sit through just because. You may feel some emotion, it's an emotional story, but then 5 minutes later you'll forget everything. How this made the 10 best lists I'll never know... I don't know if it's the show itself or just the movie I'd like to see a production of it to compare but I do not that I didn't like this movie. I give it a 6 based on the merits listed above.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #12248
D-Wade316
F***

D-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Les Miserbles: 6/10- I cried. I admit it. I denzel teared it up during the survivor's guilt bit.

And then about 10 minutes later I didn't care. And there's the problem with this movie. You can sense the potential it has, it has a good story, but not such a great story that you can phone in the acting and it'll still be great.

See the acting is all decent I suppose (barring Jackman who was good every time on screen) and it has an epic tale to draw from, but never does it any justice. I have never seen the original musical but I assume this is a direct port so I can't lay blame on this film but what I can say is that this film never gets past being just okay.

I was bored. And the only times I weren't bored were when you could see the scope of things.

Which brings me to another point: if this is an adaption of a stage show then WHY THE FUCK is nearly ever shot right up the nose hole of some actor? What's the point of the gorgeous expanded sets if they never show them? You have two choices when making a movie adaptation of a stage show: 1) Stay true to the stage show by limiting fancy scenes and stuff thus giving the effect of the theater or 2) expand the scope of the show in a way that the stage never could.

This movie said fuck that noise and decided to instead give a you a closed vantage that did neither.

Oh hey speaking of bad decisions: turns out Russell Crowe can't sing... huh... well lets cast him in a role where he has to sing pretty much the whole time. Not only that but they were singing live. He sounds like he's crying the whole time. I mean Hathaway was out of her league too but Crowe was far most noticeable since he was there the whole damn movie.

The music in general was not my favorite. Now this is a matter of personal taste, but I really feel like most of the songs blurred together. I am myself a musician, I love oldl school musicals like the Music Man or Guys and Dolls, I like rock operas like Jesus Christ Superstar, and I have seen about 3 operas straight through, and played selections from shows myself. So this isn't a matter of being out of my element, but I found little in this score that did anything for me. You have to take my word but trust me when I say that coming from me that's a big ass deal!

And the Inn Keeper bits were terrible.

I was really close to not liking this movie but a couple things saved it. The first was that it's based on a pretty epic story. The second was Hugh Jackman, dude that played the lead revolutionary, and most surprisingly Amanda Frog-Face. And the final thing was that when they did show you the full sets they were fantastic.

I wouldn't recommend. It's too long to sit through just because. You may feel some emotion, it's an emotional story, but then 5 minutes later you'll forget everything. How this made the 10 best lists I'll never know... I don't know if it's the show itself or just the movie I'd like to see a production of it to compare but I do not that I didn't like this movie. I give it a 6 based on the merits listed above.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 AM   #12249
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation here

Zero Dark Thirty - 3/10
Just a bit to much of "ameeeerica *** yeah!!" propaganda for my taste.... it gets a 3 because i liked that many action moments...

Lincoln - 5/10
Probably the most boring Spielberg produced movie i ever seen, have no idea why it got/gets so high ratings by majority... couldnt care less about how great acting it was (Daniel Day Lewis), it just didnt do it for me like for others i guess, maybe have to be American and/or Lincoln supplicant and/or magnify anything Spielberg is a part of, not sure... What keeps me really want to watch through an entire movie is entertainment or attraction... captivation, when i just cant wait to see what happens next.... didnt feel that way about this one whatsoever... its not bad, but it just didnt feel like 8/10 or 9/10 like it is rated everywhere....

Les Miserables - 1/10
Had to just skim it after 40 minutes.... I am pretty sure i would have even enjoyed the musical better than the actual movie...

Last edited by pauk : 03-25-2013 at 04:42 AM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #12250
D-Wade316
F***

D-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
yea lincoln disappointed me as well. it was executed more or less well enough, the problem was the idea in the first place. a larger than life figure like abe lincoln, played by a larger than life actor in ddl, deserves a much more broad based story than what was offered. the story of his presidency should have been told in chunks over 150 minutes or w/e, six or seven different periods over his life and/or time in office that showed his personal growth, the shifting trends of the country, stuff like that

the 14th amendment stuff just felt really anticlimactic, like an irrelevant microcosm of the life's work of a man who did so much more in tumultuous times. instead the audience was treated to a host of tactics and political maneuverings to get enough votes and stall the peace and this or that, with cardboard villains who lie and distort pitted against the prudent virtuous heroes who tell it like it is, etc etc

iunno it wasn't horrible but 6/10 sounds about right if only for what it wasn't yet had the potential to be

anyway the last movie i saw was On the Road. i've never read the book and whenever i see a film adaptation of a novel i wanted to read, i inevitably wind up regretting it. the first 15 minutes were an amazing trip and i was really jazzed and then the next two hours or so dragged on a little bit. the format was actually exactly what i wish lincoln had of used, about six or seven 20 minute chunks over the course of 18 months and eventually 10 years.

i thought it could have been better but the acting was great, the tunes were cool, snappy dialogue and characters of varying stripes sorta bouncing off one another. made me research a bunch about all these beat generation legends and what they wound up doing over the past 60 years, then relating that information back to how they were portrayed as youngsters in the film. so that was fun.

i'd give it a 8/10
Well Speilberg himself said Lincoln's life and work was too big for one film to ever portray.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #12251
D-Wade316
F***

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Zero Dark Thirty - 3/10
Just a bit to much of "ameeeerica *** yeah!!" propaganda for my taste.... it gets a 3 because i liked that many action moments...
Based on what?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #12252
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

B-Easy8 is considered somewhat coolB-Easy8 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Based on what?

You jokes?

Very clearly was.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #12253
D-Wade316
F***

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Easy8
You jokes?

Very clearly was.
I was referring more on how the themes presented were handled. I never felt at any one time that the film hammered themes on the audience.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #12254
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Well Speilberg himself said Lincoln's life and work was too big for one film to ever portray.

Then why do it like that?
ProfessorMurder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #12255
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRabbiT

3/5

That's a lot better than a 3/5 to me. I doubt I'll ever watch it again because of how horrible the people are and how depressing it is, but I'd give it a solid 8/10.
ProfessorMurder is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: