Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #12466
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I think foreign movies are kind of along the lines of the pseudo-independent movies now (I say pseudo because most "independent" companies are now owned by larger companies). They often are higher quality because they don't have huge budgets, so they have to depend on story and acting rather than big budget eye candy. Also, most of the foreign movies we hear about over here have already filtered out their crap, which makes it seem like a higher percentage of them are high quality.

Very valid points. But it says something when instead of coming up with original movie ideas, Hollywood is now just remaking great foreign films and simply Americanizing them. We got the Departed (Infernal Affairs), and Old Boy remake, and Un Prophete was just announced as the next white-wash project.

I feel like if it's not a remake, it's sequel or a reboot. Really the only original ideas seem to be coming from the animated studios, particularly Pixar.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #12467
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
What's "Hot Rod" ?

I think I've heard of it, but not sure? Recent or old? You normally have pretty solid/accurate rating with how you grade films, and IMO have good personal taste. So if I check it out, chances are I'll probably just think it's average or not really all that memorable, right?

Just to get a quick snapshot of the things you've seen this year, what would you say off the top of your head (recent movies or old, doesn't matter) is a good handful of worthwhile pictures you've seen? I have a little free time and would like to catch up on some good flicks.

Hot Rod was a movie that came out 5+ years ago and it stars Andy Sandberg as a really bad stuntman. The movie has funny moments because the cast is too full of funny people to not have funny moments, but overall it is a shitty storyline and tons of jokes fall completely flat, like cringe worthy bad.

I'm going to have to give the movies from this year some thought to even remember them. Lets see:
I loved This Is The End.
I really liked Star Wars Into Darkness (you have to have liked the 1st reboot to enjoy this)
Hangover 3 was 'meh' (it worked better as a bad action movie than it did as a comedy, but at least it tried something other than re-hashing the same formula)
Fast & Furious 6 was a moderately entertaining popcorn flick, but I preferred part 5.
Iron Man 3 was decent. It was nice to see bad guys do something besides build their own or steal Tony's suits. I despised part 2 with a passion, so that probably gave me low expectations going in. I also don't care that they changed characters from "how they are supposed to be."
Oz The Great and Powerful - I enjoyed it about as much as I can for a PG movie (not positive it was PG, but it had the feel of a PG movie). My expectations were low because it looked too much like the garbage Tim Burton puts out. I thought they did a good job making a modern movie while not staying true to the original Wizard of Oz.
The Last Stand - I enjoyed it, but was disappointed. My disappointment stems from being a big fan of the director and this was his first English language film, yet this was probably his worst film. I'm a big Arnold fan though and I don't expect perfection out of him, so if you just enjoy some good old Arnie fun, it can be worth a watch.

These are all the 2013 movies I can think of that I have seen. Some of those movies aren't ones I'd usually see in theaters, but I make exceptions on dates.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #12468
Jackass18
The Iron Price

The Hunger Games B-
Kind of like The Running Man, but instead of having criminals fight for their lives for our entertainment, they have random kids fight for their lives for no reason whatsoever. I wasn't expecting it to be that bloody and violent for a PG-13 kid's movie.

The Cabin in the Woods B+
I enjoyed this satire about.... well, to me it's a movie where I can't really say much about it without spoiling it. I can see a number of people not liking it, but I enjoyed it for what it was.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #12469
Graviton
The Lost Ninja Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Loved this flick. One of the reasons I think foreign films have been superior to the vast majority of stateside movies being produced since c. 2006ish. Hollywood doing a remake now of course
Lot of Hollywood's films (even the great ones) are remakes of Japanese, French or Italian originals. It's really ridiculous once you actually realize just how much they rip off foreign movies.

And now they are doing a reboot of Terminator.

Anyway, I watched this few days ago...

Truly an amazing film, I had forgotten what a quality movie it is, and how captivating Hugo Weaving's performance was.

9.5/10

This for me is probably right up there with The Dark Knight as the best comic book movie of all time. It has it all, the brutal and swift action, the deep and meaningful story, the Oscar worthy acting, the script that is both humorous yet serious in tone at the same time, and the cinematography that perfectly captured every scene and never bored you or lost your attention.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #12470
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

Up 10/10
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #12471
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Hot Rod 10/10
Fixed.

Okay not 10/10, but it is one of my favorite comedies.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #12472
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

Avengers

7/10

I haven't really liked many of the super hero movies besides Spiderman and Batman. Spiderman (just the first one actually) was cool because we get to know Peter Parker in regular human form pretty well. And in Batman i like how the city of gotham and its people is a big part of the movies, and of course the villains have been amazing and could deserve their own movies by themselves.
tmacattack33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #12473
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

Oh...and i just got Amazon Prime....so you'll notice that basically every movie i rate and post about in here will be one that is on their list of movies.

If anyone else has that too let me know what movies from it you've watched and which ones you've liked.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #12474
Beatlezz
Champ;ipnsikp!

Lost in Translation - 9/10

Catch Me If You Can - 10/10
Beatlezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #12475
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

Hunger Games, 8/10

I was surprised by how much I liked it. I was deep into it and wasn't bored at any point, and it was 2 hours long and then some . Good stuff.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #12476
sunsfan1357
Word.

Saw This is the End the other day I'd give it 7.5/10. Very funny, maybe not as funny to me as some people were saying it was to them, but it was a good movie nonetheless.

Today I saw Now You See Me and I'd give it a 7/10. Decent flick, I'm a fan of "magic" myself so I was into the movie the whole way.

Thought about sneaking in to see The Internship after I saw Now You See Me, but I felt bad and just left
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #12477
The-Legend-24
LA DECIMA!!

Finally watched The Avengers on netflix.

Overrated/10
The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:05 AM   #12478
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

The Heat 6/10

McCarthy is hilarious. Movie is average overall though.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #12479
treadster
Good High School Starter

Grave of the Fireflies 9/10

this movie really touched my heart
treadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #12480
CAAIDN
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadster
Grave of the Fireflies 9/10

this movie really touched my heart

One of Ghibli's best, no doubt.
CAAIDN is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: