Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #12511
irondarts

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Nymphomaniac: Volume I - 7/10

Meh. It was OK. We'll see what Volume 2 is like. I will say that the chapter with Uma Thurman (Mrs. H) was one of the most hilariously awkward things I've ever witnessed.

Last edited by irondarts : 03-09-2014 at 12:33 AM.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #12512
The-Legend-24
Keep it tight for me

Saving Private Ryan - 10/10

Amazing movie, one of my all time faves.
The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:13 AM   #12513
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_L_P
I can't give it a higher rating if I disagree with it on a moral level

I assume you hated 12 Years a Slave then since it focuses primarily on only 1 of the slaves.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #12514
JohnFreeman
Lovely stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Legend-24

Saving Private Ryan - 10/10

Amazing movie, one of my all time faves.
My nikka
JohnFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #12515
cos88
Banned

can't belive people watch crap movies like nymphomaniac, cannibal holocaust, a serbian movie or other shit when instead of wasting 2 h of your day you could do better stuff or watch better movies, of any genre you want. just type on google greatest movies of all time and you'll watch something of great quality, with 720p, 1080p, blueray available even for movies made 50 years ago
cos88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #12516
Draz
The People's Choice

12 years a slave - 9.5/10

What happened to pat at the end someone quote and white text it to me here
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #12517
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
After Hours - 9/10

Wow what a spectacular little movie. Im blown away.. Anything remotely similar?

You'll just end up disappointed and prevent yourself from enjoying a film on its own merits if you try to have the same experience you had from watching 'After Hours'. It's very unique. But, a couple of spectacular little movies with slight similarities are:

Something Wild (Jonathan Demme)
Wild at Heart (David Lynch)

Night on Earth (Jim Jarmusch) gets compared to it sometimes, but I have never seen it so I couldn't compare.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #12518
T_L_P
The Beast In Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I assume you hated 12 Years a Slave then since it focuses primarily on only 1 of the slaves.

Not at all.

Like I said before, I remember liking The Pianist (which focuses on one person). I hated Schindler's List because the Nazis were no more nuanced than those in Indiana Jones; because Spielberg decided to hammer into us how sad this situation is, by showing an Olsen Twin-cute little girl, in colour, so you understand that this is really sad; because he had to end the film on an optimistic note so the audience could feel some comfort in these evils. The general problem is that the film doesn't have much of an organising principle. This is supposed to be a dramatisation of one story from one of the great tragedies in human history. For that reason it has a certain ethical responsibility, but it’s reminiscent of a certain kind of adventure film.

I found something I wrote on another forum about why The Pianist is a far better film on the subject matter:

In this film, the main character—Wladyslaw Szpilman—does everything that he, personally, can do to survive, regardless of the ultimate fate of those around him. It is decidedly amoral, which lends it the upper hand. Polanski makes a film about the subjective experience of genocide and persecution: when you’re in the middle of it, you’ll do anything you can do to stay alive and you’ll allow yourself to become more and more degraded, even going so far as to abandon your loved ones. Polanski’s film, unlike Spielberg’s, acknowledges throughout that the events of the story are tragic by association, regardless of whether the individuals depicted are so lucky as to be among the living. Its Nazis, likewise, are not cartoons. Many of them, in fact, help Szpilman at certain points in the film. They are individuals who are part of an evil system, whereas in Spielberg’s film they are symbols of that system.

tl;dr: Schindler's List is something of a success story. The Holocaust was a failure.
T_L_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #12519
kurple
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos88
can't belive people watch crap movies like nymphomaniac, cannibal holocaust, a serbian movie or other shit when instead of wasting 2 h of your day you could do better stuff or watch better movies, of any genre you want. just type on google greatest movies of all time and you'll watch something of great quality, with 720p, 1080p, blueray available even for movies made 50 years ago
kurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #12520
The-Legend-24
Keep it tight for me

District 9 - 10/10

Can't believe I waited this long to watch this movie, it's so good. Legit shed a tear at the end too.
The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #12521
brownmamba00
Cali Love

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2532528/
courageos documentary that exposes the US dirty laundries...from the innocent villagers in Yemen that get blown to pieces by US cluster bombs to the pregnant women that get shot by US special forces in their own home... even Somali warlords sponsored by the white house and the taxpayer...investigative journalism at it's finest 9/10

funny how the Obama administration is trying to keep the American citizen in the dark by trying to sanitize the war, dude is so full of shit..."we're pulling out of afghanistan" nikka pls

Last edited by brownmamba00 : 03-10-2014 at 04:22 PM.
brownmamba00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #12522
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
You'll just end up disappointed and prevent yourself from enjoying a film on its own merits if you try to have the same experience you had from watching 'After Hours'. It's very unique. But, a couple of spectacular little movies with slight similarities are:

Something Wild (Jonathan Demme)
Wild at Heart (David Lynch)

Night on Earth (Jim Jarmusch) gets compared to it sometimes, but I have never seen it so I couldn't compare.

Griffin Dunn has an oddly fascinating IMDB Page. He's done good stuff and bad stuff. Appeared like he was on the brink of breaking at one point it seems just based on starring in some stuff with particular directors. And he became a really interesting "that guy" level of character actor. He's worked with a ton of good people and done interesting stuff, even when it wasn't very good.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #12523
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

captain philips

6/10

don't buy into the hype. Not really that good, just slow paced and uneventful. That somali actor sucked too. I was expecting so much more.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #12524
NoGunzJustSkillz

nobody saw the new 300?
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #12525
tmacattack33
NBA sixth man of the year

Captain Phillips - 9/10

Right after watching it I woulda given it a 8/10. But I can still vividly remember the characters, and the movie made me think about it a lot after i watched it...and i think i even had a dream about it. And I also realize that it gave me a new outlook on any piracy stories that i used to hear on the news.

I think many movies have this effect. You can more easily judge them after a week or two has passed.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: