Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #12601
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

The second thing I saw was a Saturday afternoon post work showing of Gravity. Like DonDadda said. This is one of the most impressive visual displays of filmmaking I can recall seeing. I felt similarl about Life of Pi last year. This is way more stunning. I did see it in Imax 3/D, and I would suggest doing the same. The seamless long run shots, while occasionally looking a little "digital", were still breathtaking. I really felt like I was seeing something I'd never seen before. Small things like water and fire in zero g sometimes fetl a litte gimicky, but were too incredible for it to matter. It had some bigger things in it themetically than I think some people will recognize on the surface. I heard a few people say it was boring on the way out, which I found crazy. It worked to me strictly as a suspense movie. I wasn't as blown away by the larger themes as I think the filmmakers would have liked me to have been. There's some sort of obvious throw backs to 2001 in it. And in the end, there's pretty much all of three characters in the whole thing. There's little in the way narrative. And I can understand the instinct to maybe wish they had done more with this visual achievement. But I'm more than happy with it. I give it easily a low 90s, and fully expect it to win any number of technical awards at the Oscars. And like the story, or lac thereof, and getting the larger themetic stuff o not, for the visual aspects alone, this movie is a must see in theatres, if you care about movies.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #12602
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
^ Yeah Thorpe I watched that back in like February or March. I think a lot of the stuff in it could hold water... But that hidden image one just didn't make sense. You couldn't see dick in those clouds, and the hotel man talking to Jack when it looks like he got a boner is just pure happenstance.

The Indian stuff, impossible window, and moon stuff was all amazing though. Kubrick was smart enough to film that way.

I got a few people to watch this as well, and so far all reviews have been positive. I wish there was more weird deconstruction stuff around.

really loved it. I think the best thing about it though was the way they cut all the people's stories together, because just when I felt like "OMG ... this movie was totally about the Indian genocide!!!" they'd cut to something else, and I'd be convinced Kubrick faked the moon landing. And then I'd feel like I'd been sucked down this symboic rabit hole and that everyone was crazy.
A really fun movie.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #12603
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

The third movie I saw was last night. I met my cousin in New Haven for a good meal, a few drinks, and to see well reviewed and right up my content alley indie flick Blue Caprice, starring and produced by the talented and criminally underemployed Isiah Washington, about the terrifying I95 snipers that scared the shit out of the country just after 9/11, alongside the still technically unsolved Anthrax mailing cases.

Now I'll preface this by saying, I was exhuasted, I worked 5am to 2pm, a tad drunk, after 5 beers after not drinking for a while, in addition to taking 20 mgs of blood thinners a day. Also stuffed, and probably a little movie'd out. But I was a bit disappointed.

It was only 93 minutes, with no trailers, and we walked right in and it started, and it still felt long. Long enough in fact that I took out my phone to check the time at one point, which is not a good sign.
The performances were quite strong. But there was far too much hinted at, and not nearly enough shown. From a technical storytelling perspective, my real gripe is that the first and second act bled together, and took entirely too long. That's when I looked at the clock and realized it'd been an hour in, and we had yet to get to DC. You get an interesting backview into both Malvo and the kid. Washington comes across as a man in the process of breaking. The kid is wounded and ripe to being manipulated. But a lot of stuff is intimated. And when it came time to show the tipping point in DC, they went montage, and skipped the step where the kid actually breaks totally.

The story is told extremely internally. There's little in the way of larger context, like how the whole thing affected the nation. A few radio and TV news broadcasts lay over here and there, but not nearly enough for what I was hoping for. There's a few gutwrenching moments, that I would say make it worth seeing on cable or something. But it's currently reviewing around a solid B movie, and I think that's an overstatement. To me it's a really flawed bit of storytelling with some really nice performances, a C, and I may be overstating it because of my interest in the subject material ... or perhaps I'm undersating it because it didn't give the subject material I was interested in the space I was expecting it too waking in. I'd love other opinions, but it's a tough movie to find, and not good enough IMO to suggest people go out of their way to find.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #12604
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I heard a few people say it was boring on the way out, which I found crazy.

The vine generation. Can't focus on anything that is longer than 8 seconds. The film was very concise, only a 90 minute run time and there never seemed to be any lulls even though most of the time it's only Bullock on screen. And you're right about some of the thematic notes they played, I thought it was a nice touch (the idea of universality w/ the different religious iconography standing out). It wasn't heavy-handed IMO, so it didn't distract from anything.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #12605
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
The vine generation. Can't focus on anything that is longer than 8 seconds. The film was very concise, only a 90 minute run time and there never seemed to be any lulls even though most of the time it's only Bullock on screen. And you're right about some of the thematic notes they played, I thought it was a nice touch (the idea of universality w/ the different religious iconography standing out). It wasn't heavy-handed IMO, so it didn't distract from anything.

I think the boring stuff stems from the huge lack of any narrative. You really don't know much who the few people are, why they're their. Little background.
I just felt the sparseness of what we were given made what we did know feel more impactfull. And I really don't get the boring stuff strictly from the action suspense elements.
I really enjoyed the larger thematic stuff, even though it's not my thing. I really liked the end too.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #12606
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

The Wolverine 7.5/10

I really liked it. More than I expected, and much better than Wolverine Origins and X3.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #12607
HoopsFanNumero1
Great college starter

Sin City 9/10.

The visuals in this film are simple amazing. And Micky Rourke. I can't think of any actor that would've fit the role better than him.
HoopsFanNumero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #12608
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59

Gravity- 9/10

Some of the absolute best camera work I've ever seen. The visuals are stunning. I'd love to see a behind the scenes making of documentary of this. Just some of the things they were able to pull off, I've never seen in film before. I think this will win a ton of gold statues, especially on the technical/effects side. This is definitely something you watch on a big screen in 3-D. I kind of want to see it again in IMAX.

Is this movie just about ladies being bad astronauts?
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #12609
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Is this movie just about ladies being bad astronauts?

No, it's the one that's >>>> Jurassic Park and Bad Boys 2. Suck on that.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #12610
outbreak
Custom User Title

So I was home last week and watched afew movies so here's my quick reviews

hangover 3 - 1/10 - this movie is not funny in the slightest and is a turd that should never have been made

serpico - 8/10 - good movie, I'd heard it mentioned a bit in other shows but hadn't really heard much about it in general for some reason, made me laugh because serpico looks just like my Dad did in all his old photos (minus the hippie clothes)

tinker, tailor, soldier, spy - 7/10 - was a bit confused early on, not sure if I misheard some things but it took me a bit to figure out what was going on but it came together well in the end.

raging bull - 8/10 - Good movie, recommend it. I'm not a boxing fan but it was well made and from what I've read since it looks like it actually was a true account of his life warts and all

state of play - 6/10 - decent enough movie but nothing great

primal fear - 8/10 - had seen it before but rewatched it with my girlfriend, enjoy this movie, probably my favourite court room movie

kick ass 2 - 6/10 - solid movie, wasn't great but worth a watch, I liked that they had monster bash and theatre of magic pinball machines in the evil lair.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #12611
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Finally saw A Band Called Death (it's on netflix streaming now). I give it an 8.5.

Great story, heartbreaking, good music. Watch it.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #12612
BRabbiT

3.75/5
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #12613
pauk
NBA Legend

Man of Steel - 8/10

Definitely better than the previous Superman movie.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #12614
HoopsFanNumero1
Great college starter

Truman Show

9/10 - really interesting concept of a man living in a TV show.
HoopsFanNumero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #12615
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Mama 5.5/10 The more they showed Mama, the worse it got. Should have stuck to practical effects.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: