Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #12646
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

World War Z - 6/10
Draz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #12647
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Law Abiden Citizen - 7.5/10 Enjoyed it with my family.
Draz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #12648
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainst
Triangle (2009)

9.5/10
mind blown/10
I didn't get it
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #12649
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

Let Me In - 9/10

The ending was great. The director says you can interpret the ending in two ways.

I personally thought Oskar will now become her caretaker. Its tough though as I thought she actually had feelings for him. I think she was both using him and liked him.

Has anyone seen the American one? Is it any good or is it another bad knock off?
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #12650
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Easy8
Let Me In - 9/10

The ending was great. The director says you can interpret the ending in two ways.

I personally thought Oskar will now become her caretaker. Its tough though as I thought she actually had feelings for him. I think she was both using him and liked him.

Has anyone seen the American one? Is it any good or is it another bad knock off?

Yes it is extremely high quality with great child acting as well. Everything u said is how I feel bout this version. Even up to ur opinion of the ending
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #12651
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
There is a rumor that Marvel is filming a little short that has "The Real Mandarin" chewing out Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce. Major backpedal, but they may fix the character for you and all the other people pissed off.

thanks for the info
hopefully they do release the short
East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #12652
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

RIPD 0/10

absolute shit
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #12653
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

I did a double feature yesterday.

I closed up shop about 10:30, then hit up an 11:15 of Dallas Buyer's Club. It wasn't getting the universal showing I thought it would, but it was showing in a handfull of locations. But I wanted to squeeze it in in case it disappeared quick. I'd been pretty excited about this since I saw the trailer. It looked like a massive performance by Matthew McConaghey, whom I actually like quite a lot. After a few years of what appeared to be money chasing with romantic comedies, the guy has had a pretty impressive run of quirky roles, including Mudd this year, which I haven't seen yet.

DBC was in fact a really impressive performance by MM. And it wasn't just a matter of "This guy lost 75 lbs to play this role". He pulled off the cocky naive asshole of the era, and still managed to come off of vulnerably crushed at the right time.

The drug addled, AIDs infected, transvestite prostitute that Jared Leto plays, is an Oscar level performance as well. Also has a certain toughness to it, but incredibly vulnerable.

Overall however, I was a little disappointed. The story wasn't put together as well as I thought it could've been. The first act is pretty much non-existent. You don't get nearly enough background on Ron the cowboy as you could've. The sort of "heist" element of the thing was short lived too. One goofy Ron the priest scene to show him cross the border, and another of Ron the business man in Japan. But it's not like they turned this into a globetrotting fast moving flick. The relationship with Jennifer Gardner's doctor felt dry and odd. They had in my opinion one scene that popped, but it worked well enough that it made the rest of the relationship feel even flatter. The political stuff, and the constant griping about the AVT drug the US FDA was pushing was weirdly aggressive to me, then they almost apologized for it in the post script. The eventual heartfelt turning of the character to being sort of a pro-active activist and less the business man was predictable. The whole thing was woefully underscored.

In the end it reminded me a bit of how Argo bounced back and fourth between this home wacky comedic side, and this tense foreign thriller, only in this it was bouncing between wacky drug trafficker to star crossed romantic relationship to political drama to life ending tear jerker, and where Argo got it's balance pretty much right, this just didn't, in spite of the performances. I'd give the movie a low 80s, but recommend it for the performances anyway.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #12654
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Later that night I went back out for a short ride to New Haven to see a limited release documentary called Muscle Shoals about Muscle Shoals Alabama, and it's history of music recording during the early stages of soul music, and into the rock movement it developed.

Content wise this couldn't be more in my wheelhouse. And I knew some of the info it was discussing coming into it. The Fame Studio down there, and it's producer Rick Hall. But not much more than that. It's a really compelling narrative. Hall's life is loaded with tragedy, but it's only hinted at. There's some deceit and backstabbing between record companies. It's filled with anecdotal music stories, which always fun. It deals a lot with the racial issues of the time. And the music is fan-****ing-tastic. About the halfway point they cover the moving of Hall's studio band, which is the dorkiest bunch of dorky white guys you'll ever see, who called themselves the Swampers (as in Sweet Home Alabama's line "Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers ... They been known to pick a song or two ... "). And between the two studios, their list of recordings is basically the soundtrack of the country from 50s on.
I saw it in a small screening room that sat about 35 people. It was more filled than this brand of small release usually is, and the place was singing and dancing like we were at a concert. A really great experience.
There's a little more about the mysticism of the area, the music being hidden in the mud of Tennessee river, and that sort of thing, which is to be expected, and normally I'd complain that the mysticism is tied to these great producers and musicians, and giving to much credit to the mud is kind of bullshit, but plenty of credit went to these great musicians, so I was okay with it.
Tons of interviews with the musicians. Some great comedy in interviews with The Rolling Stones. Percy Sledge. Greg Alman. Aretha Franklin. And even Bono's annoying ass.

If you care about this type of music at all, and you can find this movie, make an effort to go see it. You won't regret it. I may go see it again during the week before it disappears.

I'd give it a mid 90s.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #12655
gigantes
A piece of fluff

kung fu hustle-- 2004 martial arts satire flick by stephen chow.

the first half had a couple funny moments, but was nothing too special. however, the second half was filled with crazy battles, just as you'd expect from the director of shaolin soccer.

there's little more to say about it, since it wasn't meaningful or groundbreaking in any particular way. rotten tomatoes has this rated too highly at 90%... metacritic is much closer to the mark, at 78%. on a four-star system i'll give it 3/4. it deserves no higher. i haven't seen CJ7, but hopefully it corrects some of the weaknesses from this movie.

raise the red lantern-- 1991 film about the painful workings of the old chinese concubine system, set in the 1920's.

one of those beautiful, slow-developing, culturally-insightful films for when you're in the mood. just exquisite, pure film-making with very pleasing artistic visuals... an easy 4/4 stars from me.

OTOH, it's also bleak... perhaps even depressing. and that may perfectly mirror the dog-eat-dog nature of reality, but watch at your own risk.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #12656
outbreak
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Law Abiden Citizen - 7.5/10 Enjoyed it with my family.

without a doubt the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. My girlfriend and I couldn't believe it made it past the editing room.

Yesterday I watch the valet (la doublure), french comedy about a valet helping cover for a rich guy having an affair with a super model. Was surprisingly good and funny. One of the best movies I've seen in awhile and was good that it wasn't the standard regurgitated crap most american comedies are these days. We watched it because it was written by the same people who did the dinner game (another good french film) I'd give it 8/10
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #12657
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

12 Years a Slave /10

Ok, 9.5/10
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #12658
gigantes
A piece of fluff

lost in translation... huge disappointment. damn.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #12659
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
lost in translation... huge disappointment. damn.

I never saw it, but I swear when it first came out, everybody raved about it, and then those who saw it later had the reaction you did. Makes me think people got caught up in the hype at the time.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #12660
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

I watched "Prisoners" last night and it was the best movie I have seen in over a year.
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: