Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #12676
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Inside Llewyn Davis: 8/10

Got tickets to a private screening of this last night. Really enjoyed it. I'm not at all well versed on folk music or the scene surrounding it in NYC/Chicago before Bob Dylan rose to prominence (who was featured very cleverly in this flick). It was a nice inside look into that world and following the trials and tribulations of a starving artist trying to make it. There was a nice mix of drama and comedy, with a parallel to the Odyssey. The musical scores are top notch Great, natural performance by the lead Oscar Isaac in what could be a star-making role. Goodman was great as always in his limited time on screen.

Only negative I could point out was Carey Mulligan. Seemed like she was trying waaaay too hard to be the bitchy character. Didn't feel at all believable. I think she's a solid actress and was probably just miscast.

The Coens are in their usual top form for this. Very tightly directed. I was wondering how the film would turn out with them not working with Roger Deakins who was tied up with Skyfall and experimenting with digital which the brothers hate. Gotta say, the cinematography was on point. Bruno Delbonnel did some solid work in his place-holder role.

Last edited by DonDadda59 : 12-01-2013 at 09:51 PM.
DonDadda59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #12677
EricGordon23
Good college starter

Delivery man
7/10
EricGordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #12678
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Legend-24

I finally got around to watching Perks, and as I expected, I really liked it. But I do also have a penchant for liking these quircky coming of age movies about misfit youth. I don't know why exactly. I wasn't a misfit in my youth. Maybe I was and just happened squeeze through. Anyway.

I didn't like it as much as Adventureland, which I loved a few years ago (Interesting they picked the same city). This felt a little more all over place story wise. And the dialogue was so dense as feel not real at times. They didn't talk the way real people talk, which is frequently the case in these kind of movies, but this felt especially so. And I felt like they wasted the era setting. Other than the mixtapes, there was little to indicate this movie was in the 80s (They're young 80s hipsters who re-enact The Rocky Horror Picture Show, but don't know who David Bowie is?!?!). But they hit on the high drama I was hoping to see.

I'd give it a low to mid 80s.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #12679
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59

Inside Llewyn Davis: 8/10

Got tickets to a private screening of this last night. Really enjoyed it. I'm not at all well versed on folk music or the scene surrounding it in NYC/Chicago before Bob Dylan rose to prominence (who was featured very cleverly in this flick). It was a nice inside look into that world and following the trials and tribulations of a starving artist trying to make it. There was a nice mix of drama and comedy, with a parallel to the Odyssey. The musical scores are top notch Great, natural performance by the lead Oscar Isaac in what could be a star-making role. Goodman was great as always in his limited time on screen.

Only negative I could point out was Carey Mulligan. Seemed like she was trying waaaay too hard to be the bitchy character. Didn't feel at all believable. I think she's a solid actress and was probably just miscast.

The Coens are in their usual top form for this. Very tightly directed. I was wondering how the film would turn out with them not working with Roger Deakins who was tied up with Skyfall and experimenting with digital which the brothers hate. Gotta say, the cinematography was on point. Bruno Delbonnel did some solid work in his place-holder role.

I'm really pumped for this and Into the Furnace. And a few other things.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #12680
KobesFinger
Laker Gang #COYG

Flight - 8/10

Good shiz, I've yet to see Denzel in a role where I think "he sucked"
KobesFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #12681
BRabbiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobesFinger
Flight - 8/10

Good shiz, I've yet to see Denzel in a role where I think "he sucked"

Flight was terrific. particularly Washington. he nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
25th hour - 3/10 - I really don't get why spike lee is popular with some people, this had so many obvious moments where he was trying to be arty or deep but just came across as trying far too hard. A good director should be subtle when trying to make a movie, not use every scene as an attempt to draw you away from the movie and focus on the directing.

3/10??

25th hour was shot in a very depressing way. it's the character's last night.

he's filled with regret, and it comes across.

Spike Lee's not for everybody, sure.

his style is an acquired taste. but i'm a fan. his style is interesting.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #12682
cos88
Banned

we're the millers 8/10

i was in a good mood when i watched it and though it was ok. some very funny moments. best movie with jennifer since marly and me
cos88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #12683
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Over the holidays we watched:

Gilda 9/10

Suspicion 8/10
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #12684
niko
I Run NY.

Frozen 8/10. Took the daughter on Thanksgiving morning, much better than the stuff Disney has put out recently. Felt like it came from the Little Mermaid / Beauty of the Beast time. Also had the message that you can't fall in love with someone in a day as they might be insane which I thank Disney for.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #12685
BoogieWoogieMan
Redemption

In the Name of the Father. 9/10
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #12686
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

Battle Royale (Japanese Film)

6.6/10
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #12687
Wavves
Blaze it up fgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13

6.6/10

Watched it the other day too. Probably about the same rating I would have given it.
Wavves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #12688
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRabbiT
3/10??

25th hour was shot in a very depressing way. it's the character's last night.

he's filled with regret, and it comes across.

Spike Lee's not for everybody, sure.

his style is an acquired taste. but i'm a fan. his style is interesting.

I kind of feel him. I generally like Spike Lee movies, and I'm also a big Ed Norton fan, but that movie didn't do it for me. It just seemed to drag on. The only scene I can even remember from it is the mirror scene. Outside of that, the only thing I remember is not caring for it.

Speaking of dragging on:
Only God Forgives: Probably not going to finish/10
It is rare that I start a movie and don't finish it. This movie is boring as f*ck. I expected to like it since I loved Drive as well as Bronson from the same director. But no, just bad. His excessive use of red and blue lighting may have been cool and stylish if the movie was entertaining in any way, but because I was bored by the movie, I just found it annoying. I tend to love violence in movies, but I was so out of it trying to watch this movie that it would show something that would normally get me going "YES! That was awesome!" but by the time scenes like that happened, I just didn't care.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #12689
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13

6.6/10

I'd also say that rating is about right. I was disappointed originally because of the hype it had, but it is watchable, and the 6 range is just watchable to me. I'd probably have more appreciation for it now that there are Twilighted versions of it out now with Hunger Games.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #12690
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I'd also say that rating is about right. I was disappointed originally because of the hype it had, but it is watchable, and the 6 range is just watchable to me. I'd probably have more appreciation for it now that there are Twilighted versions of it out now with Hunger Games.
The book is much better. The film doesn't do it justice. It's an ok film, a great book.

What do you mean twilighted versions?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: