Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #12706
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

elysium

5/10

too many plot holes, inconsistencies. district 9 was way better
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #12707
Shade8780
Hollywood Shade

Pulp Fiction

10/10

Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #12708
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic chiongson
elysium

5/10

too many plot holes, inconsistencies. district 9 was way better

This.

A Preacher's Kid 6.5/10
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #12709
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Skyfall 7/10

This movie took the Craig Bond movies to their extreme with the "gritty" feel they are going for. It is certainly the most vulnerable we have ever seen Bond. I enjoyed the first third a lot but it tailed off a bit over the course of the film, probably because Bond failed to hold my interest a bit over the middle third. Mr. Silver was a really good villain but there was a lot of suspension of reality necessary (and not the normally fun type that you run into in Bond films).

They scrapped the traditional Bond movie organization by doing away with any romantic angle and focused on his vulnerabilities with his past and M. Not your usual Bond film but definitely a solid film. Nice bounce back from Quantum Solace.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #12710
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Skyfall 7/10

This movie took the Craig Bond movies to their extreme with the "gritty" feel they are going for. It is certainly the most vulnerable we have ever seen Bond. I enjoyed the first third a lot but it tailed off a bit over the course of the film, probably because Bond failed to hold my interest a bit over the middle third. Mr. Silver was a really good villain but there was a lot of suspension of reality necessary (and not the normally fun type that you run into in Bond films).

They scrapped the traditional Bond movie organization by doing away with any romantic angle and focused on his vulnerabilities with his past and M. Not your usual Bond film but definitely a solid film. Nice bounce back from Quantum Solace.
i saw the first craig bond film... liked it a lot. haven't watched the others. i'll have to check that out.

i watched the second bond film (from russia with love) the other day and it was quaint, but did manage to hold my interest... even just to look back in to that era and style of film-making. plus, connery was simply amazing.

btw, the books themselves are great reads... only a level or two above pulp fiction, but perfect for what they are.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #12711
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Bullet to the Head 7/10. Better than I expected. Stallone's noir-like narration was terrible, but it isn't in most of the movie. There are some bad dialog scenes between him and the cop where they appear to be trying to add some depth, but it comes across as out of place and cheesy. Outside of that, the old school action was fun and the violence was good. It lived up to the name Bullet to the Head with tons of head shots.

The Iceman 8/10. I really liked this movie. Michael Shannon is top notch as usual, Ray Liotta was up to his old self, and there was something fascinating watching Ross from Friends murder people, lol. On top of the good acting was a pretty good story and some fun death scenes.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #12712
outbreak
Custom User Title

25th hour - 3/10 - I really don't get why spike lee is popular with some people, this had so many obvious moments where he was trying to be arty or deep but just came across as trying far too hard. A good director should be subtle when trying to make a movie, not use every scene as an attempt to draw you away from the movie and focus on the directing.

puncture - 7/10 - Not a bad movie, had the guy from captain america playing a drug addict lawyer who tries to go after hospitals about using a safe needle. Based on a true story.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #12713
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

CAPE FEAR (1961)- 7.8/10

I thought this was superior to the Scorcese-De Niro version. It was more subdued and nuanced with Max Cady (Robert Mitchum), who was really chilling in the role. He felt much more believable than De Niro, who was kind of over the top at times. Also, Gregory Peck makes for a much better protagonist than Nick Nolte. I loved the dialogue within the era it represented.

The remake was still good and it doesn't make its characters so black and white which was affective for the time and probably accurate to real life but the original just had much better performances from the two leads. De Niro's turn as Cady is a caricature compared to the chilling display of Mitchum.

Overall, this is a very engaging film and quite dangerous for a 1962 story.

CLOUD ATLAS- 8.5

I didn't know much about this one and I had no idea how heavy this film was going to be. All of the main actors (Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Jim Sturgess, Hugh Grant, Hugo Weaving) depict multiple characters in a composition that shows six different story lines and time periods.

They all have a connection (however significant is sometimes a weak or unclear point of the story) but to show the 1800's, early 1900's, 1970's, modern day, 2154 and the 24th century all in one piece of work was startling to see juxtaposed and edited next to the other periods. The deepest storyline revolves around future Korea and one man attempt to rescue a clone servant from her kinds ultimate destiny. It's nothing too original but it certainly pulls on the heartstrings and makes a grand connection to the final timeline.

This is one of the most ambitious films I've ever seen, utilizing 3 directors to capture a scope so wide, it placed new limits on what can be accomplished and communicated while still maintaining a commonality within a single title. If you are in the mood for a mind-blowing, visual feast of great acting and creative design, watch this movie. However, I must warn you that it requires full attention so you need 3 hours to focus on nothing but what this presents. I feel it is an investment that is worth the focus. It wasn't perfect and I may need to watch again to catch everything intended to communicate but it blew me away.

Last edited by ROCSteady : 12-01-2013 at 07:50 PM.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #12714
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Inside Llewyn Davis: 8/10

Got tickets to a private screening of this last night. Really enjoyed it. I'm not at all well versed on folk music or the scene surrounding it in NYC/Chicago before Bob Dylan rose to prominence (who was featured very cleverly in this flick). It was a nice inside look into that world and following the trials and tribulations of a starving artist trying to make it. There was a nice mix of drama and comedy, with a parallel to the Odyssey. The musical scores are top notch Great, natural performance by the lead Oscar Isaac in what could be a star-making role. Goodman was great as always in his limited time on screen.

Only negative I could point out was Carey Mulligan. Seemed like she was trying waaaay too hard to be the bitchy character. Didn't feel at all believable. I think she's a solid actress and was probably just miscast.

The Coens are in their usual top form for this. Very tightly directed. I was wondering how the film would turn out with them not working with Roger Deakins who was tied up with Skyfall and experimenting with digital which the brothers hate. Gotta say, the cinematography was on point. Bruno Delbonnel did some solid work in his place-holder role.

Last edited by DonDadda59 : 12-01-2013 at 10:51 PM.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #12715
EricGordon23
Good college starter

Delivery man
7/10
EricGordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #12716
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Legend-24

I finally got around to watching Perks, and as I expected, I really liked it. But I do also have a penchant for liking these quircky coming of age movies about misfit youth. I don't know why exactly. I wasn't a misfit in my youth. Maybe I was and just happened squeeze through. Anyway.

I didn't like it as much as Adventureland, which I loved a few years ago (Interesting they picked the same city). This felt a little more all over place story wise. And the dialogue was so dense as feel not real at times. They didn't talk the way real people talk, which is frequently the case in these kind of movies, but this felt especially so. And I felt like they wasted the era setting. Other than the mixtapes, there was little to indicate this movie was in the 80s (They're young 80s hipsters who re-enact The Rocky Horror Picture Show, but don't know who David Bowie is?!?!). But they hit on the high drama I was hoping to see.

I'd give it a low to mid 80s.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #12717
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59

Inside Llewyn Davis: 8/10

Got tickets to a private screening of this last night. Really enjoyed it. I'm not at all well versed on folk music or the scene surrounding it in NYC/Chicago before Bob Dylan rose to prominence (who was featured very cleverly in this flick). It was a nice inside look into that world and following the trials and tribulations of a starving artist trying to make it. There was a nice mix of drama and comedy, with a parallel to the Odyssey. The musical scores are top notch Great, natural performance by the lead Oscar Isaac in what could be a star-making role. Goodman was great as always in his limited time on screen.

Only negative I could point out was Carey Mulligan. Seemed like she was trying waaaay too hard to be the bitchy character. Didn't feel at all believable. I think she's a solid actress and was probably just miscast.

The Coens are in their usual top form for this. Very tightly directed. I was wondering how the film would turn out with them not working with Roger Deakins who was tied up with Skyfall and experimenting with digital which the brothers hate. Gotta say, the cinematography was on point. Bruno Delbonnel did some solid work in his place-holder role.

I'm really pumped for this and Into the Furnace. And a few other things.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #12718
KobesFinger
Laker Gang

Flight - 8/10

Good shiz, I've yet to see Denzel in a role where I think "he sucked"
KobesFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #12719
BRabbiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobesFinger
Flight - 8/10

Good shiz, I've yet to see Denzel in a role where I think "he sucked"

Flight was terrific. particularly Washington. he nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
25th hour - 3/10 - I really don't get why spike lee is popular with some people, this had so many obvious moments where he was trying to be arty or deep but just came across as trying far too hard. A good director should be subtle when trying to make a movie, not use every scene as an attempt to draw you away from the movie and focus on the directing.

3/10??

25th hour was shot in a very depressing way. it's the character's last night.

he's filled with regret, and it comes across.

Spike Lee's not for everybody, sure.

his style is an acquired taste. but i'm a fan. his style is interesting.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #12720
cos88
Banned

we're the millers 8/10

i was in a good mood when i watched it and though it was ok. some very funny moments. best movie with jennifer since marly and me
cos88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: