Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #12721
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Over the holidays we watched:

Gilda 9/10

Suspicion 8/10
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #12722
niko
I Run NY.

Frozen 8/10. Took the daughter on Thanksgiving morning, much better than the stuff Disney has put out recently. Felt like it came from the Little Mermaid / Beauty of the Beast time. Also had the message that you can't fall in love with someone in a day as they might be insane which I thank Disney for.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #12723
BoogieWoogieMan
BTE Prophet

In the Name of the Father. 9/10
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #12724
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

Battle Royale (Japanese Film)

6.6/10
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #12725
Wavves
Blaze it up fgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13

6.6/10

Watched it the other day too. Probably about the same rating I would have given it.
Wavves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #12726
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRabbiT
3/10??

25th hour was shot in a very depressing way. it's the character's last night.

he's filled with regret, and it comes across.

Spike Lee's not for everybody, sure.

his style is an acquired taste. but i'm a fan. his style is interesting.

I kind of feel him. I generally like Spike Lee movies, and I'm also a big Ed Norton fan, but that movie didn't do it for me. It just seemed to drag on. The only scene I can even remember from it is the mirror scene. Outside of that, the only thing I remember is not caring for it.

Speaking of dragging on:
Only God Forgives: Probably not going to finish/10
It is rare that I start a movie and don't finish it. This movie is boring as f*ck. I expected to like it since I loved Drive as well as Bronson from the same director. But no, just bad. His excessive use of red and blue lighting may have been cool and stylish if the movie was entertaining in any way, but because I was bored by the movie, I just found it annoying. I tend to love violence in movies, but I was so out of it trying to watch this movie that it would show something that would normally get me going "YES! That was awesome!" but by the time scenes like that happened, I just didn't care.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #12727
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13

6.6/10

I'd also say that rating is about right. I was disappointed originally because of the hype it had, but it is watchable, and the 6 range is just watchable to me. I'd probably have more appreciation for it now that there are Twilighted versions of it out now with Hunger Games.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #12728
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I'd also say that rating is about right. I was disappointed originally because of the hype it had, but it is watchable, and the 6 range is just watchable to me. I'd probably have more appreciation for it now that there are Twilighted versions of it out now with Hunger Games.
The book is much better. The film doesn't do it justice. It's an ok film, a great book.

What do you mean twilighted versions?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #12729
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

He means Battle Royale was the original film concept of teenagers killing each other for the govt's benefit.

He is saying the Hunger Games are 'Twilight' versions of the Battle Royale concept that appeal more to a mass audience and teenagers instead of the stark gritty style of the Japanese film, Battle Royale.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #12730
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

The Best Holiday/The Best Man 2 - 9/10
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #12731
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
He means Battle Royale was the original film concept of teenagers killing each other for the govt's benefit.

He is saying the Hunger Games are 'Twilight' versions of the Battle Royale concept that appeal more to a mass audience and teenagers instead of the stark gritty style of the Japanese film, Battle Royale.
OH, i thought they edited the films to make them more friendly to younger audiences.

That movie is too talkttive at times. Japanese dramas and movies tend to be talkative. They beat moments into the ground.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #12732
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I kind of feel him. I generally like Spike Lee movies, and I'm also a big Ed Norton fan, but that movie didn't do it for me. It just seemed to drag on. The only scene I can even remember from it is the mirror scene. Outside of that, the only thing I remember is not caring for it.

Speaking of dragging on:
Only God Forgives: Probably not going to finish/10
It is rare that I start a movie and don't finish it. This movie is boring as f*ck. I expected to like it since I loved Drive as well as Bronson from the same director. But no, just bad. His excessive use of red and blue lighting may have been cool and stylish if the movie was entertaining in any way, but because I was bored by the movie, I just found it annoying. I tend to love violence in movies, but I was so out of it trying to watch this movie that it would show something that would normally get me going "YES! That was awesome!" but by the time scenes like that happened, I just didn't care.

I was disappointed in Only God Forgives too. Although I liked it more than you obviously. But we obviously have similar issues. I really liked it styalistically. I loved the lighting, and the angles used in the shots. There was a shot of him in a blue bathroom being shot from the red room, that was a cool visual expression of his flipping the switch in a way. And in what I've seen from him previously, I like how he uses the violence in this jarring sort of way, which he did more than once in the movie.
But the script couldn't have been more than a dozen pages. I watched at home, where there are visual distractions, and with a movie that is counting so heavily on it's visuals to carry such a huge burden of it's story telling, you can really lose focus if you're not locked on it like in a theatre. And what story there is isn't really fleshed out. It's loaded with weird sexuality that isn't fully explained. I did think it was smart to make it short. It's only 90 minutes or so IIRC. But if you edited out all of the strictly visual scenes with ominous sounds, like the cop just strutting around, and cut it into just scenes with dialogue, I'd bet there isn't much more than half an hour worth of movie.

I would still recommend it to people, who are into heavy visual style, and hyper violence type stuff. Just be willing to work at it a little. I'd give it a low 70s.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #12733
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
The Best Holiday/The Best Man 2 - 9/10

I really liked this too. I think I'll prob rewatch this on many holidays
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #12734
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Drinking Buddies

A "love is complicated" dramedy(more parts drama than comedy) about two couples who hang out together and feelings start getting caught. Two of the characters work together at a brewery, and there's lots of drinking, hence the title.

If you've ever been in a love triangle or harbored feelings for a friend who wasn't on the market there's plenty to relate to here, punctuated by long stretches of awkward silence.

7/10
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #12735
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Out of the Furnace: 7/10

I was part of the first group of people to see this movie in theaters. Was lucky to get screening tickets that were followed by a Q & A with the director, Scott Cooper.

It was ambitious, but fell flat in a lot of ways. Cooper (admitted during the Q&A) that he tried to infuse it with themes of America during our struggles in the aftermath of the financial meltdown of '08, veterans returning from war, etc. It really never got that deep though. There were some pacing issues, especially in the first third where there was too much going on.

Some of the characters needed more development. The performances were very uneven. I thought Woody Harrelson was the highlight of the flick, he needed more screen time. Bale was ok. Saldana was solid but almost felt unnecessary. Affleck was decent. Whittaker was awful. Don't know what it was, may have been the writing, may have been him trying too hard, but it was the worst performance of his I've seen.

There were some decent fight scenes.The use of lighting (or lack thereof) was interesting and added to the atmosphere. Definitely entertaining and paid homage to films like the Deer Hunter, Fight Club, and Godfather II (last shot in particular). But it fell flat in a lot of areas.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: