Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #12736
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59

Out of the Furnace: 7/10

I was part of the first group of people to see this movie in theaters. Was lucky to get screening tickets that were followed by a Q & A with the director, Scott Cooper.

It was ambitious, but fell flat in a lot of ways. Cooper (admitted during the Q&A) that he tried to infuse it with themes of America during our struggles in the aftermath of the financial meltdown of '08, veterans returning from war, etc. It really never got that deep though. There were some pacing issues, especially in the first third where there was too much going on.

Some of the characters needed more development. The performances were very uneven. I thought Woody Harrelson was the highlight of the flick, he needed more screen time. Bale was ok. Saldana was solid but almost felt unnecessary. Affleck was decent. Whittaker was awful. Don't know what it was, may have been the writing, may have been him trying too hard, but it was the worst performance of his I've seen.

There were some decent fight scenes.The use of lighting (or lack thereof) was interesting and added to the atmosphere. Definitely entertaining and paid homage to films like the Deer Hunter, Fight Club, and Godfather II (last shot in particular). But it fell flat in a lot of areas.

I was actually going to PM you and ask you about this, because I thought it looked decent, but it's scoring low 50s on the tomato meter, and I'm not sure I want to use a weekend movie trip on it now. You're review sounds like it is going to reinforce my opinion. It'll probably end up a cable watch.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #12737
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I was actually going to PM you and ask you about this, because I thought it looked decent, but it's scoring low 50s on the tomato meter, and I'm not sure I want to use a weekend movie trip on it now. You're review sounds like it is going to reinforce my opinion. It'll probably end up a cable watch.

It's definitely entertaining. You won't feel like you wasted money if you buy a ticket. I was just expecting more considering the star power involved. I think the biggest problem was a novice director overreaching honestly. Tried to do too much and most of it didn't work. Cooper said himself that he feels like he's still trying to find his voice (this is only his second film, had literally 0 experience other than acting). I think with a little more seasoning he can be a solid director.

Harrelson stole the show though, enjoyed his performance.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #12738
Shade8780
GOATin

Shade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Godfather: 10/10

This was my first time seeing the movie, and it was great. The acting, the writing, it was amazing. The whole time watching, I was just thinking, how was this made in 1972?! It honestly looked like a movie from the late 90s or early 2000s.
Shade8780 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #12739
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780

This was my first time seeing the movie, and it was great. The acting, the writing, it was amazing. The whole time watching, I was just thinking. How was this made in 1972?! It honestly looked like a movie from the late 90s or early 2000s.

Some of the best films ever made came from the late 60s-70s during that revolution and rise of young turk auteurs (ie, Coppola, Spielberg, Lucas, Scorsese).

I'm assuming you haven't seen part II yet since you just saw the first. I like it better than the first, let me know what you think when you get around to it.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #12740
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Godfather Part II is amazing but I find Part I to be one of the only movies I would consider flawless.

Godfather Part I is so tightly knit, nothing unnecessary. This entry is the blueprint of telling a great and nuanced story for me. It builds momentum in such a magnetic yet organic way that it's just still the most sensational film I've ever seen in all facets.

Part II is very engaging but a subplot or two were just not that interesting to me. Not to say I didn't enjoy the whole movie though, just parts of the empire expansion didn't have the gravitas that much of the rest of the flick did. The opening, closing and the De Niro flashbacks are simply amazing 10/10 material though. Michael's character is the focal point and Al is brilliant as the cold hearted monster he has become but I missed Vito and Sonny! *lukewarm spoiler* The ending gives me chills as we see the family pre-Michael corruption at the table and the stark contrast to the family at the end of II. We can still feel Brando's presence...and he's truly the genesis of everything that takes place in the preceding 375 minutes of story with the Corleone family. However, Vito is a much purer man than Michael succumbs to.

Last edited by ROCSteady : 12-06-2013 at 06:53 PM.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #12741
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady

CLOUD ATLAS- 8.5

I didn't know much about this one and I had no idea how heavy this film was going to be. All of the main actors (Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Jim Sturgess, Hugh Grant, Hugo Weaving) depict multiple characters in a composition that shows six different story lines and time periods.

They all have a connection (however significant is sometimes a weak or unclear point of the story) but to show the 1800's, early 1900's, 1970's, modern day, 2154 and the 24th century all in one piece of work was startling to see juxtaposed and edited next to the other periods. The deepest storyline revolves around future Korea and one man attempt to rescue a clone servant from her kinds ultimate destiny. It's nothing too original but it certainly pulls on the heartstrings and makes a grand connection to the final timeline.

This is one of the most ambitious films I've ever seen, utilizing 3 directors to capture a scope so wide, it placed new limits on what can be accomplished and communicated while still maintaining a commonality within a single title. If you are in the mood for a mind-blowing, visual feast of great acting and creative design, watch this movie. However, I must warn you that it requires full attention so you need 3 hours to focus on nothing but what this presents. I feel it is an investment that is worth the focus. It wasn't perfect and I may need to watch again to catch everything intended to communicate but it blew me away.

CLOUD ATLAS- 9.5/10

I watched this a second time and caught way more than I did the first time. Simply put, this is one impressive collection of stories that have a unifying quality that creates some profound parallels given that ~500 years separates the first and last story chronologically.

This film leaves no voids in the visual, dialogue, emotional departments. It really has it all. One of the stories is even quite funny. I think Cloud Atlas is the best movie I have seen in the past 5 years at least. It blew me away and the second time watching really focused a lot of my haziness I had the first time. Unreal how it is (I believe) the most expensive independent film ever made.

How many have seen it here? What did you think? To me, this was more than just a movie, even a 'deep' movie at that. The scope and commentary of human nature- both bad and good is represented as transcendent art that a lot of films try to do but will never come close. I call this a genuine masterpiece at this point in time. I believe this will become a highly regarded work of art, even if it takes 20 years to get the recognition.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #12742
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Goon - 7.8

I kept seeing this pop up now and then, the box in a store, or on the front page of my netflix... So I was bored the other night and figured I'd give it a go, because I figured it would be a small mindless movie. I actually really enjoyed it. It kind of had the same vibe of Super, but not quite on the same level.

I always assume I won't like something with Sean William Scott, because I really hate the American Pie movies; yet I've liked him in everything I've seen him in.

Basically Sean William Scott's character is a bouncer, gets into a fight at a minor league hockey game, and then is brought onto the team to be a goon. He gets shipped out to a bigger league and play to protect a lottery pick who's been rattled. There's a cute romantic B story between Sean William Scott and Alison Pill (Scott Pilgrim), Liev Schrieber plays a goon on the downside of his career.

The violence is pretty rough (like Super), Sean William Scott is really good in it, and there are a couple of good laughs. Jay Baruchel's character is a bit over the top, but there's a ton of people like that.

I was surprised to see Baruchel and Evan Goldberg wrote it, because it wasn't improv heavy or vulgar. It was well structured and smooth.

It's also loosely based on a true story.

I'd say check it out.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #12743
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780

This was my first time seeing the movie, and it was great. The acting, the writing, it was amazing. The whole time watching, I was just thinking, how was this made in 1972?! It honestly looked like a movie from the late 90s or early 2000s.
It really is a great movie. I don't know about all time greats but it's up there for sure from what I've seen. More complete than Part II but I still like the second part more. The descent of Michael Corleone is the GOAT character development ever. Third one shouldn't have been made
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #12744
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

Hockey is my favorite sport and I still haven't seen that. Thanks for the reminder
Old 12-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #12745
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Hockey is my favorite sport and I still haven't seen that. Thanks for the reminder

Post your thoughts if and when you check it out.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #12746
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I enjoyed Goon. It was interesting that they pulled off a drama about hockey fighting.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #12747
KobesFinger
Laker Gang

KobesFinger is popular on this boardKobesFinger is popular on this boardKobesFinger is popular on this boardKobesFinger is popular on this boardKobesFinger is popular on this board

9/10

De Niro's acting in this film is amazing. Plays the part extremely well, great dialogue and action scenes aren't OTT. The scene where McCauley and Vincent are in the diner is greatness. I thought Pacino went a bit overboard with some of his lines (shouting too loudly etc.) but his acting was still great, I just thought De Niro was better.

Edit: Forgot to add, watching the film made me think GTA V was inspired by this film. Michael looks like McCauley, Trevor is similar to Wayne (murderous and psychotic), Vincent and Michael's families were falling apart because of their jobs and both wives ended up cheating and finally one of the heists in the game is based on the bonds truck heist in the film.

Last edited by KobesFinger : 12-06-2013 at 08:08 PM.
KobesFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #12748
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Smoke117 has a near all-star reputation hereSmoke117 has a near all-star reputation hereSmoke117 has a near all-star reputation hereSmoke117 has a near all-star reputation hereSmoke117 has a near all-star reputation hereSmoke117 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobesFinger

9/10

De Niro's acting in this film is amazing. Plays the part extremely well, great dialogue and action scenes aren't OTT. The scene where McCauley and Vincent are in the diner is greatness. I thought Pacino went a bit overboard with some of his lines (shouting too loudly etc.) but his acting was still great, I just thought De Niro was better.

Edit: Forgot to add, watching the film made me think GTA V was inspired by this film. Michael looks like McCauley, Trevor is similar to Wayne (murderous and psychotic), Vincent and Michael's families were falling apart because of their jobs and both wives ended up cheating and finally one of the heists in the game is based on the bonds truck heist in the film.

You've just seen 'Heat' now? Wow. While I think pacino since his "resurgence" after the 80s has overplayed EVERY SINGLE ROLE, (If he's excited, happy, angry etc he just gets LOUD) in Heat they had filmed him as being a coke addict, but then left that bit out. Having done cocaine and been around coke heads they are obnoxious and loud when all lit up. lol
Smoke117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #12749
treadster
Good High School Starter

treadster has an OK reputation so far

Les MisÚrables

6/10
treadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #12750
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Only God Forgives: 4/10

Caught this on Netflix last night. Holy shit what a massive letdown. I loved 'Drive' and when I saw the trailer for this follow up I was psyched. But then it never got a US release and the reviews I read were not very encouraging. So I didn't get around to seeing it until then.

This movie was flat out awful. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. The acting was horrible- everyone seemed like they were auditioning to be the next Terminator. Everyone had this strange, ultra slow, robotic movement and delivery... like they were androids. Did not work at all from a stylistic or practical standpoint.

The cinematography was interesting at certain points but overall was like the film as a whole- completely over the top and vacuous. Hopefully this was just an experiment gone wrong from Winding Refn and he gets back on track for his next project.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford: 9/10

Got back from seeing this for the first time in a theater setting at the Museum of the Moving Image. I won a pair of tickets in an online haiku writing competition... never wrote one before that

Quick Background on the Event

I've reviewed/spoken about this film several times here so I'll just say that this is a modern masterpiece and an instant classic. 2007 was an all time great year for film (No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood). And this is a film that was meant to be seen on the big screen. Having surround sound really makes the experience much better.

Andrew Dominik was there for a Q&A as this was the premiere event of the revival. Curses a lot but he said there was a longer cut that he felt was the perfect version he wanted released but WB was against it. Would love to see it one day. If you are in/near a city on the revival tour, try to get tickets.

Last edited by DonDadda59 : 12-08-2013 at 12:36 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: