Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #13051
EwingMan
I usually hit open layups

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Eyes Wide Shut is a masterpiece?

yes...

EwingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #13052
EwingMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Yeah, I think the emotional register in those two films are really in his wheelhouse which is why they ended up as his two best works.

don't sleep on barry l.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #13053
EwingMan

hausu

acid soaked 70's japanese horror movie (or is it a kung fu movie?), which manages to be fantastical without being sinister, and silly without being camp.

it throws out any notions of building suspense or tension in favor of sheer goofy exuberance and lunacy. while this might be the films biggest strength, it limits any emotional response probably to something between amusement and bemusement.

having said that, the visuals, set design, and editing are pretty ****ing money.

maybe recommend; probably not for horror fans; probably if you're into early raimi or jackson, or if you dig jap shit

7.5/10
Old 05-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #13054
BoogieWoogieMan
Redemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwingMan
hausu

acid soaked 70's japanese horror movie (or is it a kung fu movie?), which manages to be fantastical without being sinister, and silly without being camp.

it throws out any notions of building suspense or tension in favor of sheer goofy exuberance and lunacy. while this might be the films biggest strength, it limits any emotional response probably to something between amusement and bemusement.

having said that, the visuals, set design, and editing are pretty ****ing money.

maybe recommend; probably not for horror fans; probably if you're into early raimi or jackson, or if you dig jap shit

7.5/10

^I just watched that morning this morning.

It was aite.
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:13 AM   #13055
irondarts

The Invisible Woman - 7/10

Meh.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:23 AM   #13056
stalkerforlife
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Sleep Tight

This depressed guy who's a front desk/doorman/general maintenance man at an apartment complex spends his nights lurking beneath the bed of a tenant only to come out at night when she's sleeping and chloroform her, then proceed to do all sorts of unsavory deeds to her things and get into her bed and cuddle her.

Then the next morning when she comes down from her apartment they exchange pleasantries with one another and he acts as if he isn't the creepiest mofo on Earth. On top of that he puts letters in her mailbox and texts her - both anonymously. There are a few close calls where he's on the precipice of getting caught which serve to be pretty tense.

Well shot and acted. Creepy film is creepy.

8.3/10

Sounds great. Thanks!
stalkerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:51 AM   #13057
DaSeba5
Heat|Dolphins|Marlins

Godzilla (2014): 6.5/10

+ Godzilla was amazing
+ The fight scenes were amazing
+ Bryan Cranston was great as usual
+ Special effects were top notch
+ Fun block buster movie for about $10

- Human characters were dull for the most part. A lot of the scenes with the family and army scenes felt like a filler. I think this was because the movie was too long with too many plot elements.
- Not enough focus on Godzilla. Like Jaws, they kept Godzilla away for most of the movie to build up suspense, but the human drama is so dull that it doesn't pay off until the final battle. A lot of the human scenes in Jaws are iconic, even more than the shark scenes. It really didn't feel like a Godzilla movie for a lot of the movie.
- Too much generic disaster movie and monster movie scenes
- They cut away from the fight scenes too much. This movie holds the record for most shown scenes of people watching and staring at things.
- (SPOILER) they killed off the most interesting character in the movie and the main character was hard to get invested in.

Overall, I can watch the action scenes on You Tube for years to come. They are that awesome. The rest of the movie is a bit dull and is pretty forgettable because it doesn't add anything new. If you've seen Cloverfield, Transformers, Battleship, 2012, Day After Tomorrow, ect., you've already seen the middle of this movie.

Last edited by DaSeba5 : 05-17-2014 at 03:04 AM.
DaSeba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #13058
D-Rose
Da Mavs

Safety Not Guaranteed - 7.5/10

I enjoyed this little flick. Aubrey Plaza has a bright future in cinema, love her already from Parks and Rec. Interesting plot and some quirky characters. Recommend to anyone that likes indie flicks!

Also, that main character looks exactly like Paul Krumholtz.

Last edited by D-Rose : 05-17-2014 at 10:16 PM.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #13059
GoSpursGo1984
Serious playground baller

Won't Back Down 8.5/10
GoSpursGo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:15 AM   #13060
BoogieWoogieMan
Redemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
F*ck you Boogie. I start to get a little excited with that last post and then you immediately dash it.

I'll say that it was actually pretty good. It was just weird in a way that I wasn't expecting. It did give off the Evil Dead vibe and I know that's one of your favorite, so for you, I'll recommend the film.
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:06 AM   #13061
fsvr54
Bitch Hands

Blue Ruin

Good stuff
fsvr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:27 AM   #13062
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Godzilla - 7.5/10

Very enjoyable, puts Pacific Rim to shame because there is actually some suspense involved. Biggest problem in white (major spoiler): After Bryan Cranston died, nobody even semi important died. I understand none of the main family dying, but not even the general (or whatever rank he had), or Ken Watanabi(sp?).

Also, the quick shot of the father and daughter hiding in that store of glass was pointless and fake. That giant wave of water would have smashed that glass instantly and killed them. Movie couldn't even kill off non-important side characters or that dog. Feels like the director held way back.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #13063
chips93
Very good NBA starter

a couple of questions about godzilla in white

how come godzilla didnt use the big white laser earlier in the movie? he could have just used it at the very start and killed it immediately? and why did the japanese goverment go to such great lengths to keep the muto secret? was it just not to scare people? they could have clarified this
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #13064
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9/10

Best Marvel so far by far. Cap just became my favorite Avenger and Black Widow was badass in this. Hell, Falcon and Fury had their moments too

Last edited by KingBeasley08 : 12-09-2014 at 01:17 AM.
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #13065
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
a couple of questions about godzilla in white

how come godzilla didnt use the big white laser earlier in the movie? he could have just used it at the very start and killed it immediately? and why did the japanese goverment go to such great lengths to keep the muto secret? was it just not to scare people? they could have clarified this
Seemed like it took a lot of energy out of him, didn't it? He passed out from it.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: